Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How good is Domantas Sabonis? What is his ceiling?

I've been watching this guy since college and he has never disapointed. I think he is starting to get his due but I'm still not sure just how good he is and how good he can be. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Maybe a fringe All-Star a few years her and there. He's got a nice set of skills for today's game but I don't think he has a lot more room to get better as a player. He could shoot a few more 3s per game. But what he really needs is minutes. And I don't think he gets a lot with Turner around. I think if he got starters minutes he'd put up #s that would put him in contention for an All-Star nod at some point.

Rippin' lips son!!

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I've been watching this guy since college and he has never disapointed. I think he is starting to get his due but I'm still not sure just how good he is and how good he can be. Thoughts?
    Sabonis needs to show more on the defensive side, or else he's Enes Kanter with some passing. He's not very impressive physically.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    Sabonis needs to show more on the defensive side, or else he's Enes Kanter with some passing. He's not very impressive physically.
    ??? Sabonis is vital to our defense.

In response to the question, I honestly think he could end up being better than Turner. But at the same time, he's absolutely a center, there's no way around it. Idk if him and Myles will work long term. I can see his peak being a 20 and 10 guy while being a plus defender and being one of the best passing bigs in the league. That kind of a player is a legit all star.

Quote Originally Posted by VCaintdead17 View Post
    ??? Sabonis is vital to our defense.

In response to the question, I honestly think he could end up being better than Turner. But at the same time, he's absolutely a center, there's no way around it. Idk if him and Myles will work long term. I can see his peak being a 20 and 10 guy while being a plus defender and being one of the best passing bigs in the league. That kind of a player is a legit all star.
    He's a putrid shot blocker, horrible at hedging and recovering, and cannot switch on smaller players... Yet somehow "vital" to the defense?

Homers got homer.

He's another Vucevic. Fringe all-star, 3rd option type.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    He's a putrid shot blocker, horrible at hedging and recovering, and cannot switch on smaller players... Yet somehow "vital" to the defense?

Homers got homer.

He's another Vucevic. Fringe all-star, 3rd option type.
    Yeah this is false. He's totally capable of rotation out to the perimeter on switches, and is a proficient PnR defender as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=C1SbDqPYIPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF9gBBfEu9Y

He posted a positive DRPM this season, as well as a positive D-PIPM. His physicality and switching ability absolutely makes him an important piece of our defense. Not to mention the rim protection he provides. His OPP RIM FG% is around 80th percentile in the entire league.

He plays 25 mpg on the third best defense in the NBA, while sporting the 10th best Drtg in the NBA himself. The combination of footage, play by play analytics and team success all point to him being a high quality impact defender. How many Pacer games did you watch this year?
    Last edited by VCaintdead17; 09-07-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Most defensive stats are team based stats. Even still, those same stats when filtered as a starter paint a picture just how weak he is on that end (albeit a limited 5 game sample). The reason Turner continues to start over him is partly based on defensive need.

I watched probably 4 regular season games and 3 playoffs of Indiana last season and always thought they should cash in on him and trade him while some team out there is still fooled into believing he will be a core offensive piece for them under a starting role.

Yeah you can draw zero conclusions from a five game sample size. D-PIPM and DRPM were literally designed to be independent of teammate performance, so they're definitely not a team based stat. You're really grasping at straws here, purposely ignoring the mountain of data and evidence that reflects his value for a few games he got maybe 5 more minutes of playing time. Myles and Sabonis only shared the court for 429 minutes this season, which averages out to about 5 mpg, so you can't act like Myles' defensive presence colors Sabonis's defensive numbers much at all.

Also, in regards to Myles, he gets more minutes than Sabonis because while Sabonis is a good defender, Myles is one of the best defenders in the league. So of course he's gonna start over him lol.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Most defensive stats are team based stats. Even still, those same stats when filtered as a starter paint a picture just how weak he is on that end (albeit a limited 5 game sample). The reason Turner continues to start over him is partly based on defensive need.

I watched probably 4 regular season games and 3 playoffs of Indiana last season and always thought they should cash in on him and trade him while some team out there is still fooled into believing he will be a core offensive piece for them under a starting role.
    This post convinced me of nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VCaintdead17 View Post
    Yeah you can draw zero conclusions from a five game sample size. D-PIPM and DRPM were literally designed to be independent of teammate performance, so they're definitely not a team based stat. You're really grasping at straws here, purposely ignoring the mountain of data and evidence that reflects his value for a few games he got maybe 5 more minutes of playing time. Myles and Sabonis only shared the court for 429 minutes this season, which averages out to about 5 mpg, so you can't act like Myles' defensive presence colors Sabonis's defensive numbers much at all.

Also, in regards to Myles, he gets more minutes than Sabonis because while Sabonis is a good defender, Myles is one of the best defenders in the league. So of course he's gonna start over him lol.
    Thanks VC. I think your posts have given me a clearly idea of what I think. I also think some guys are always going to call anyone white a bad defender.

I had a draft crush on him, OKC were wasting him and I thought he turned that trade into a BIG win but people treated him like a throw in at the time.

I think his ceiling is all-star, but he needs to be playing more with the starters and 35 minutes a night to get there.

How good is Domantas Sabonis? What is his ceiling?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I had a draft crush on him, OKC were wasting him and I thought he turned that trade into a BIG win but people treated him like a throw in at the time.

I think his ceiling is all-star, but he needs to be playing more with the starters and 35 minutes a night to get there.
    Same I couldnít believe he fell as far as he did in the draft and didnít get why he seemed to get no respect

Last edited by ewing; 09-07-2019 at 08:47 PM.

I don't think that being a fringe AS player is an any way a bad thing. That's a great thing. I'll take as many of those as I can get!

Rippin' lips son!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Maybe a fringe All-Star a few years her and there. He's got a nice set of skills for today's game but I don't think he has a lot more room to get better as a player. He could shoot a few more 3s per game. But what he really needs is minutes. And I don't think he gets a lot with Turner around. I think if he got starters minutes he'd put up #s that would put him in contention for an All-Star nod at some point.
    Aren't they gonna try some twin towers this season? But I agree if they only gonna share minutes at center. Something has to give eventually once both are paid handsomely.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    I don't think that being a fringe AS player is an any way a bad thing. That's a great thing. I'll take as many of those as I can get!
    I don't think anyone was arguing with you about that. The number of AS locks is always small.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast