Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

What if Canada had gone all in at FIBA?

Lithuania eliminated Canada from contention in the FIBA World Cup three days ago.
    That Canadian team included two of 17 NBA players who showed up for training camp. How good do you think Canada is with a full NBA compliment?
    Will more NBA players come out for the 2020 Olympic qualifiers? That's the only way Canada can get to Tokyo. It's assumed most of their players will get better. They're pretty young.
    Here's a theoretical roster with all their talent:

G: Jamal Murray, Cory Joseph
    G: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Andrew Wiggins, Nickeil Alexander-Walker
    F: R.J. Barrett, Dillon Brooks
    F: Brandon Clarke, Khem Birch, Trey Lyles
    C: Dwight Powell, Kelly Olynyk

that team isn't great and they would have all the same issues that usa team has.

I think Canada can challenge for a medal if they had a more equipped team.

Chemistry-fit-coaching also matter along with talent. FIBA ball is a bit different and you needs guys who can fit that game better and even guys who are willing to be role players.

I'd swap Pangos in for Walker-Alexander. Having another PG who is a willng passer, knows how to run an offense and hit the 3 ball would be nice.

Melvin Ejim over Brooks. Ejim is a defender-glue guy-lunch pail player. Who does the hustle work and little things. You need those kind of Players. I can't leave him out when he sacrificed his kids birth to rep the country this year to boot.

I'd swap Witjer for Lyles, just for shooting and spacing and he is a legit scorer at the fiba level. Probably add Stauskas for another shooting option on the team (not sure who to sub him out for though).

You don't need 12 nba guys imo. I think the USA is better off having Bryant Dunston and Kyle Hines in there for Plumlee and another one of the under sized forwards. These two are well respected euroleague defenders and they will have the props of other international layers and coaches. They add more defense and grit to the team and defensive iq. US also need their bigs to be a threat offensively closer to the basket. Spacing is too cramped on the perimeter with these stretch five currently, since the fiba court is smaller. US has to make the opposition respect someone at rim.

I think Nick Nurse can spear this Canadian team into a medal personally.

Yeah very disappointing to see the players pass on this tournament.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

How good would the US be if it sent even a portion of its actual best?.....

I just wanted to see Jamal Murray, RJ show up. Don’t really care for Wiggins.

With Argentina making the final. if Canada and the US also brought all their best talents, you could make the case the Americas would have 3 of the top 7 teams in the world (Spain, France, Serbia, Australia thrown in there).

I think Argentina probably would've beat this USA team.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    I think Argentina probably would've beat this USA team.
    Skilled bigs are a big factor in FIBA play, and defensively that was USA biggest weakness. Scola was golden. Marc Gasol was also vintage for Spain vs. the Aussies.

The way Argentina was running circles around Serbia and giving France fits, hard to argue they wouldn't do that vs. the USA as well.