Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: The long ball

The long ball

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...rge-58-percent

They certainly are juicing the ball. Up 58% since the switch.... yeah, that's a difference.

Is this something MLB needs to address? Or... do they just allow players to keep hitting it deep?

I think it's made the game less exciting. Hitting 40 home runs should be a real feat. Not something a utility player can do one year

here is the problem. players dont know how to hit a baseball anymore, they know how to hit homeruns. the league is trying to get more offense into the game. now ending the shift theoretically should help but its not guaranteed because these players will still be swinging for the fences and there isnt any end in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    here is the problem. players dont know how to hit a baseball anymore, they know how to hit homeruns. the league is trying to get more offense into the game. now ending the shift theoretically should help but its not guaranteed because these players will still be swinging for the fences and there isnt any end in sight.
    That has ruined baseball imo. Guys like Tony gwynn and Ichiro are pointless in the league
    Last edited by rapjuicer06; 09-06-2019 at 02:07 PM.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

I am in agreement with you guys. The long ball shouldn't be the only thing in the game. It takes the true ball players out of the game.

Manfred's response during the All Star break after getting called out by Verlander was awful. Basically, saying that even though MLB is responsible for the manufacture of the baseballs, MLB has no knowledge of whether the balls are juiced are not. Essentially, MLB got caught.

I am not a fan of Manfred and how baseball is trying to appeal to the casual fan. I get if they want to work on limiting the duration of games, but completely changing the game secretly is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    Manfred's response during the All Star break after getting called out by Verlander was awful. Basically, saying that even though MLB is responsible for the manufacture of the baseballs, MLB has no knowledge of whether the balls are juiced are not. Essentially, MLB got caught.

I am not a fan of Manfred and how baseball is trying to appeal to the casual fan. I get if they want to work on limiting the duration of games, but completely changing the game secretly is another story.
    Agreed. Baseball has been around well over 100 years, obviously they have something that's working. Why keep altering it?

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson