Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cost of Living calculation

Does anyone know a reliable cost of living tool/site that they have used, or know of, that works well? I am considering a move from a suburb on the twin cities, to a suburb of Chicago, and the position itself pays roughly 40% more than my current position. Bankrate, Nerdwallet, and plenty of others come up on google, but not sure if anyone here might be experienced regarding it.

Anyone else have any good/great/terrible/meh experiences with moving to a new city, and unexpected problems, or even the opposite, and it worked out amazingly for them?

Yeahhh

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Just moved from NYC after 25 years, to Boston area. It's awesome.
    The only unexpected things are traffic patterns, airplane noise from time to time, making new friends and finding new places to eat. It's mostly a **** ton of fun.
    I am thrilled to be here.
    We aren't in the city but 5 miles outside of it, so it's a really close suburb. We are 5 miles out of Boston and Cambridge but live on a 2700 acre nature preserve.

If you are ready to move, it will be great. If you have to move, it's more stressful. My wife got a job up here so she took much longer to acclimate. But she loves it now.

Our cost of living has dropped considerably. We have spent a bunch of money on "one time" purchases but once we are totally settled, it will be way cheaper.

If you got a 40% bump, I would guess you will be really comfortable.

Good luck man!

**** off. Where's my title

I moved from CT to NC 7 yrs ago. Didn't have a job I cared about at the time and I hate cold weather/winter/snow.
    We moved in fall 2012. I played golf 2 days after Xmas that year. It was right then that I knew moving was absolutely the right choice.
    I go back once a yr to visit friends and family but wouldn't ever move back.
    It's also a **** load cheaper here. The house my wife and I bought almost a year ago would easily be 100-150k more in CT.
    I also met my fiance here and we have an awesome daughter together and #2 on the way, due in Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I moved from CT to NC 7 yrs ago. Didn't have a job I cared about at the time and I hate cold weather/winter/snow.
    We moved in fall 2012. I played golf 2 days after Xmas that year. It was right then that I knew moving was absolutely the right choice.
    It's also a **** load cheaper here. The house my wife and I bought almost a year ago would easily be 100-150k more in CT.
    I also met my fiance here and we have an awesome daughter together and #2 on the way, due in Oct.
    North Carolina? I'm from Cali, never been to NC, but have always thought it might be a chill place to live.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    North Carolina? I'm from Cali, never been to NC, but have always thought it might be a chill place to live.
    Charlotte, Raleigh durham are cool But the mountains around Ashville and the Tennessee border are ****ing incredible and one of my favorite places in the country if not my favorite.

I currently live in CT and want to move to North Carolina. Too bad i do have a job i care about, its crazy expensive here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

Cost of Living calculation

Hawk I live in the West suburbs of Chicago and know the twin cities landscape very well as all of my family is up there (Maple Grove, Woodbury, Edina, Plymouth).

I can tell you the cost of living is very comparable in both states with IL bring slightly higher. Property taxes are a little higher in IL from what I've noticed. Then there's the fact that MN doesn't have sales tax on a lot of items. Gas is always about 10-20 cents/gallon cheaper too. Food and housing is identical though.

So I'd say the cost of living is just slightly higher around Chicago, but your pay increase will do more than cover it.

Plus the food in Minneapolis suburbs is nothin to brag about, you'll have access to much much better options around Chicago.

What suburb of the TCs are you in now and where are you looking around Chicago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are running to the south lately and NC is a huge draw. I used to live in Atlanta in the 90s. It was such an easy going city, I made a lot of friends that Im still friends today with and Id probably never left, but my career lead NYC.

As tours were slowing down a bit, in 2009 I considered moving there because I missed the south. Ultimately, though a home that would cost $180 in Chapel Hill, I decided to stay near NYC paying twice as much for more or less the same square footage. I think what it is is the south is not as easy going as it was 20 years ago.

There are so many northerners down there it doesnt have the same feel it once did. Ive seen it evolve over my years going back there. What took 15 minutes to whip around in Atlanta now takes 30 minutes. What used to take 25 minutes from Raleigh to Chapel Hill now takes 45-60 minutes.

Besides, the pizza still sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Does anyone know a reliable cost of living tool/site that they have used, or know of, that works well? I am considering a move from a suburb on the twin cities, to a suburb of Chicago, and the position itself pays roughly 40% more than my current position. Bankrate, Nerdwallet, and plenty of others come up on google, but not sure if anyone here might be experienced regarding it.

Anyone else have any good/great/terrible/meh experiences with moving to a new city, and unexpected problems, or even the opposite, and it worked out amazingly for them?

Yeahhh

When we bring employees in from out of state part of the move compensation is for the differential in Real Estate. Its sometimes tough to find like size homes in same quality school districts.
    Then we consider state income and sales tax differences.
    Then we consider cost of each utility.
    Then we look at homeowners and auto insurance costs
    Then we look at health care out of pocket costs.
    Where I live if you buy 4-5 miles north for similar home at similar price, the power costs are almost double, the water costs are higher.

I think an online site can give you a ball park but you need to look at all your expense, see what they cost in the new area and then see waht the net is and if that makes you happy.

4-5 hours with a spreadsheet and google and you should be able to dial it in pretty close.
    "He's getting the best job in baseball."

Bruce Bochy sent a clear message to whoever will be the Giants' next manager
    🙌
    https://bit.ly/2ndI9eG

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Charlotte, Raleigh durham are cool But the mountains around Ashville and the Tennessee border are ****ing incredible and one of my favorite places in the country if not my favorite.
    Yeah. Planning to move in 2.5 years. Have to stay in South Carolina more or less because that's where my wife is licensed, but we plan to live just south of Charlotte in SC or - my preference - south of Asheville in Greenville/Spartanburg.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Yeah. Planning to move in 2.5 years. Have to stay in South Carolina more or less because that's where my wife is licensed, but we plan to live just south of Charlotte in SC or - my preference - south of Asheville in Greenville/Spartanburg.
    You have a license for your wife?
    They may just have you put her in quarantine for a few weeks before they let her into the state.

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    I currently live in CT and want to move to North Carolina. Too bad i do have a job i care about, its crazy expensive here.

Where in Ct?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Where in Ct?
    Southeastern ct

If you cant beat them, join them

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Ya, in Waxhaw, NC. About 20 min south of Charlotte.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast