Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    Hawk I live in the West suburbs of Chicago and know the twin cities landscape very well as all of my family is up there (Maple Grove, Woodbury, Edina, Plymouth).

I can tell you the cost of living is very comparable in both states with IL bring slightly higher. Property taxes are a little higher in IL from what I've noticed. Then there's the fact that MN doesn't have sales tax on a lot of items. Gas is always about 10-20 cents/gallon cheaper too. Food and housing is identical though.

So I'd say the cost of living is just slightly higher around Chicago, but your pay increase will do more than cover it.

Plus the food in Minneapolis suburbs is nothin to brag about, you'll have access to much much better options around Chicago.
    We live in Wooebury, looking at a job in Bolingbrook, so with 2 young kids Naperville looks super appealing.

Property taxes is the big cost diff that jumps out. 40% increase just seems more than able to cover and still be a step up, just worried about making sure I am doing what's best for my family. My wife has never left a 30.sq mile arwa of St Paul....so just worried is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    We live in Wooebury, looking at a job in Bolingbrook, so with 2 young kids Naperville looks super appealing.

Property taxes is the big cost diff that jumps out. 40% increase just seems more than able to cover and still be a step up, just worried about making sure I am doing what's best for my family. My wife has never left a 30.sq mile arwa of St Paul....so just worried is all.
    I'm in Naperville man, nice coincidence. With a ton of family up in Woodbury too.

I'm on the south end of Naperville right by the border of Bolingbrook too. If you ever need any advice or have questions on the area feel free to hit me up.

The schools here are top notch. Some of the best in the state and country. Everything you'll ever need is in Naperville, along with a good amount of traffic though which you have to get used to.

This is an interesting read, https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/09...bc2xq8biFjSgTk
    "He's getting the best job in baseball."

Bruce Bochy sent a clear message to whoever will be the Giants' next manager
    🙌
    https://bit.ly/2ndI9eG

Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    I'm in Naperville man, nice coincidence. With a ton of family up in Woodbury too.

I'm on the south end of Naperville right by the border of Bolingbrook too. If you ever need any advice or have questions on the area feel free to hit me up.

The schools here are top notch. Some of the best in the state and country. Everything you'll ever need is in Naperville, along with a good amount of traffic though which you have to get used to.
    Thanks man! I am flying out for a final interview next week, so I will be looking around. Traffic? Dude Woodbury is horrendous, and I commuted in Houston for 14 years haha. I will he fine with that.

The schools in the Twin Cities are great, Wayzata in particular, but Naperville is pretty famous for it. And while I love it here (moved back because of it), I think it would be amazing to be able to raise our kids outside Chicago (NYC too hut way too $$). It's only a 6 hour drive back...

I just want to make sure a 40% increase makes it worth it, cause it will be difficult for my wife to leave all she has ever known..

Thanks man! I am flying out for a final interview next week, so I will be looking around. Traffic? Dude Woodbury is horrendous, and I commuted in Houston for 14 years haha. I will he fine with that.

The schools in the Twin Cities are great, Wayzata in particular, but Naperville is pretty famous for it. And while I love it here (moved back because of it), I think it would be amazing to be able to raise our kids outside Chicago (NYC too hut way too $$). It's only a 6 hour drive back...

I just want to make sure a 40% increase makes it worth it, cause it will be difficult for my wife to leave all she has ever known..
    When we interview people that will be moving from out of state we encourage them to come in on Wednesday and leave on Sunday (on us).

We interview on Wednesday, meet for a bit on Friday and encourage them to look at neighborhoods, go out to eat, go shopping in grocery store. Basically try a mini immersion in the local environment.
    Maybe that would help your wife see where you are thinking about.
    "He's getting the best job in baseball."

Bruce Bochy sent a clear message to whoever will be the Giants' next manager
    🙌
    https://bit.ly/2ndI9eG

Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    When we interview people that will be moving from out of state we encourage them to come in on Wednesday and leave on Sunday (on us).

We interview on Wednesday, meet for a bit on Friday and encourage them to look at neighborhoods, go out to eat, go shopping in grocery store. Basically try a mini immersion in the local environment.
    Maybe that would help your wife see where you are thinking about.
    That's a great idea actually. We had our 2nd child two days ago, so the timing doesn't allow that. But, we will for sure need to look around a bit prior to purchasing a home for example. My sister's family moved to Philly last year and made the mistake of buying a house without really learning the area, though we have a single city targeted anyways. But grocery shopping, filling up a tank of gas, driving around to see traffic, proximity to parks (twin cities is unmatched for parks, playgrounds, amd walkijg paths so we can't assume every house will have them right there like they do here), etc. Thanks man, that is good advice

Our cost of living has dropped considerably. We have spent a bunch of money on "one time" purchases but once we are totally settled, it will be way cheaper. auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver
    They may just have you put her in quarantine for a few weeks before they let her into the state.
    Last edited by ninoPlay12; 09-10-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Good luck with the interview. Hope it goes well.

It is a bit rough around here with the traffic though, even 9-10 at night you're at a light and can be like 20 cars back just hoping to get through before it turns red again on some streets.

My nieces are in the Wayzata district and we've heard great things and I'd say they're comparable. We have 2 districts out here, 203 and 204 which are both as good as it gets. Athletic facilities are top notch left and right, park districts programs are endless. You can't go wrong.

Cost again is pretty comparable between Woodbury and here. Food is a ton better here, but you guys just got that portillos though up by you leveling it a tad bit. But moreso the italian/pizza joints throughout the suburb are amazing and I've always found lacking a bit in the TC. My aunt and uncles family would always try to take us to Davanni's and I would just want to vomit after it. I do love me some Byerly's though but we have Mariano's out here which is pretty much the same.

Drive back to Woodbury usually about 6.5 hours from Naperville, but with an infant man I've done that and it's more like 8 with all the diaper stops.

I went to Wayzata, but graduated 25 years ago. It is indeed in the most expensive area of the state.

Thanks for everything man, it's been very helpful. Good call on the drive with an infant haha.

Italian is meh for me, but I do love pizza, and Chicago has it, no doubt. More so, I just like new things too, and it would be good for my wife, and my family, to make a change honestly.

Traffic, ugh. Luckily, my commute would be around 6-7 miles, so hopefully not too terrible..

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Naperville is really nice, pretty pricey though. Bolingbrook is cheaper and is a decent place to live. The towns next to it, Downers Grove and Woodridge are better though. Property taxes in IL and ridiculous. I lived by Naperville and my property taxes we about $8,000 a year. I moved five years ago further away in the country to Dekalb and taxes are a little less. Still, I think I am paying almost $8,000 out here now as well.

I can't imagine what they are up to at the other house. Probably about $11,000. I'm thinking about moving to TN when I retire in about 10 years. The taxes there are about $800 a year. Good luck with everything. I know the Naperville and Bolingbrook area, so if you have any questions about them let me know.

Cost of Living calculation

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    Naperville is really nice, pretty pricey though. Bolingbrook is cheaper and is a decent place to live. The towns next to it, Downers Grove and Woodridge are better though. Property taxes in IL and ridiculous. I lived by Naperville and my property taxes we about $8,000 a year. I moved five years ago further away in the country to Dekalb and taxes are a little less. Still, I think I am paying almost $8,000 out here now as well.

I can't imagine what they are up to at the other house. Probably about $11,000. I'm thinking about moving to TN when I retire in about 10 years. The taxes there are about $800 a year. Good luck with everything. I know the Naperville and Bolingbrook area, so if you have any questions about them let me know.
    Bolingbrook does have some pretty high property taxes too which kind of sucks because the school district there is garbage. We were thinking of building a home there about 4 years ago but the taxes were going to be 12-13 on a house that in Naperville was about 9 (that wasn't the ultimate decision maker, schools were). Either way both pretty high, mine are right at 9 right now but I'm ok with that since my kids go to pretty good schools and will end up at Naperville central here soon.

Good Park district though I'll give it that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12