Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Training Camp News and Discussion

Hey guys. Welcome back from the summer vacation from football. Lets hope for a clean camp.

I thought that a lot more players were going to start camp on the PUP list, so starting with only four is good, especially when one of them (Celek) was going to have a tough time cracking the 53 anyways. It sounds like McKinnon and Ward will be good to go by the dress rehearsal and Richburg by the start of the regular regular season. Richburg is the most concerning of the injuries to me, so hopefully he gets healthy.

Not expecting much in preseason. Gameplans will be vanilla, Shanny will keep most of the playbook locked away, most defenses don't blitz package much although talent alone could shine with the DL.

Only one practice, and it was without pads, but sounds like Solomon Thomas, Nick Bosa, Jimmy Garoppolo, Jordan Matthews, and Dre Greenlaw looked really good today.

I have NFL Game Pass and it lets you go back and watch last year's games in "Condensed Version" (without huddles, timeouts, or any type of breaks) which lets you watch whole games in about 30 minutes. I went back and watch the first game from last year (49ers at Vikings) and paused it on offensive plays to see what was happening on each of the plays. Jimmy wasn't anywhere near as bad as the stats looked. Here are a few notes:

Note 1: The WRs were almost never getting open. Goodwin left the game early with an injury (which thrust a rookie Pettis into significant action), Trent Taylor was coming off the back surgery and didn't have the speed that he had the previous year, and Garcon was just awful.

Note 2: They had difficulty getting the running game going. Breida was ok in the running game, but Morris wasn't very good at all.
    Here's a series by series highlight on how the drives ended:

1st series: Pierre Garcon dropped an easy catch for a 1st; Negative rushing yards led to 3rd and 12; WRs not open on 3rd and 12 and Jimmy forced a pass incomplete.

2nd series: Offensive holding led to 3rd and long; nobody open on 3rd down and Jimmy took a sack - he probably should have thrown it away, but was trying to make something happen.

3rd series: Jimmy led them down the field inside the Vikings 30 yard line, but the drive stalled - WRs were not getting open. This led to a FG.

4th series: Jimmy didn't lead Pettis enough on a deep pass that would have been a TD early in the series, but made up for it by driving the team down the field inside the 5 yard line, but Alfred Morris coughed up the football on 2nd and goal from the 2.

5th series: Jimmy made right read for would-be first down, but Pettis fell down leading to incomplete pass; 3rd and long had nobody open and Jimmy forced pass to Taylor incomplete.

6th series: Jimmy hit wide open Kittle deep down the sideline for would-be TD, but Kittle dropped the pass; next play, Bourne falls down, which resulted in Jimmy throwing a pick-6 (this was on Bourne, not Jimmy).

7th series: Jimmy hits Juice on deep pass to get into the redzone; Jimmy under throws Juice on a screen in the redzone; on 3rd down, WRs not open again, but Jimmy fits a pass into a tight window and Garcon drops a tough catch in the endzone, but it was catchable. He was just getting hit as the ball got to him. 49ers FG.

8th series: Deep pass to Kittle. In the redzone, Jimmy was sacked due to holding it too long, but made up for it on the next play hitting Pettis for the TD.

9th series: This was Jimmy's worst play of the game in my opinion. Jimmy throws ball high and behind Pettis and it got picked off.

10th series: Jimmy hits Pettis on deep pass; offense stalled in the redzone - 3rd down pass by Jimmy was slightly high to Kittle. One inch lower and it was probably a TD.

11th series: Nobody getting open on a 3rd down blitz (WRs need to get open when 6 players are rushing the QB) and Jimmy gets sacked - this is not on Jimmy.

12th series: Less than 2 minutes to go on this series on 10 yard line. 1st down, nobody open so Jimmy forces to Breida, incomplete. 2nd down, nobody open, so Jimmy forces into triple coverage to Kittle for interception. This was on Jimmy, but it's understandable at this point in the game as he has to force it to make something happen.

Final note: This game would have been completely different with better play from the wide receivers. Our WR group going into this season is significantly better than the group that played in that game. 2nd year Pettis should be much better than 1st game rookie Pettis (we already saw flashes late last year); Trent Taylor appears to have his speed back after being a year removed from back surgery; Goodwin is healthy; we used two day two picks on Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd. Also, the RB room is much better adding Coleman and likely having a healthy McKinnon by the time the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    I have NFL Game Pass and it lets you go back and watch last year's games in "Condensed Version" (without huddles, timeouts, or any type of breaks) which lets you watch whole games in about 30 minutes. I went back and watch the first game from last year (49ers at Vikings) and paused it on offensive plays to see what was happening on each of the plays. Jimmy wasn't anywhere near as bad as the stats looked. Here are a few notes:

Note 1: The WRs were almost never getting open. Goodwin left the game early with an injury (which thrust a rookie Pettis into significant action), Trent Taylor was coming off the back surgery and didn't have the speed that he had the previous year, and Garcon was just awful.

Note 2: They had difficulty getting the running game going. Breida was ok in the running game, but Morris wasn't very good at all.
    Here's a series by series highlight on how the drives ended:

1st series: Pierre Garcon dropped an easy catch for a 1st; Negative rushing yards led to 3rd and 12; WRs not open on 3rd and 12 and Jimmy forced a pass incomplete.

2nd series: Offensive holding led to 3rd and long; nobody open on 3rd down and Jimmy took a sack - he probably should have thrown it away, but was trying to make something happen.

3rd series: Jimmy led them down the field inside the Vikings 30 yard line, but the drive stalled - WRs were not getting open. This led to a FG.

4th series: Jimmy didn't lead Pettis enough on a deep pass that would have been a TD early in the series, but made up for it by driving the team down the field inside the 5 yard line, but Alfred Morris coughed up the football on 2nd and goal from the 2.

5th series: Jimmy made right read for would-be first down, but Pettis fell down leading to incomplete pass; 3rd and long had nobody open and Jimmy forced pass to Taylor incomplete.

6th series: Jimmy hit wide open Kittle deep down the sideline for would-be TD, but Kittle dropped the pass; next play, Bourne falls down, which resulted in Jimmy throwing a pick-6 (this was on Bourne, not Jimmy).

7th series: Jimmy hits Juice on deep pass to get into the redzone; Jimmy under throws Juice on a screen in the redzone; on 3rd down, WRs not open again, but Jimmy fits a pass into a tight window and Garcon drops a tough catch in the endzone, but it was catchable. He was just getting hit as the ball got to him. 49ers FG.

8th series: Deep pass to Kittle. In the redzone, Jimmy was sacked due to holding it too long, but made up for it on the next play hitting Pettis for the TD.

9th series: This was Jimmy's worst play of the game in my opinion. Jimmy throws ball high and behind Pettis and it got picked off.

10th series: Jimmy hits Pettis on deep pass; offense stalled in the redzone - 3rd down pass by Jimmy was slightly high to Kittle. One inch lower and it was probably a TD.

11th series: Nobody getting open on a 3rd down blitz (WRs need to get open when 6 players are rushing the QB) and Jimmy gets sacked - this is not on Jimmy.

12th series: Less than 2 minutes to go on this series on 10 yard line. 1st down, nobody open so Jimmy forces to Breida, incomplete. 2nd down, nobody open, so Jimmy forces into triple coverage to Kittle for interception. This was on Jimmy, but it's understandable at this point in the game as he has to force it to make something happen.

Final note: This game would have been completely different with better play from the wide receivers. Our WR group going into this season is significantly better than the group that played in that game. 2nd year Pettis should be much better than 1st game rookie Pettis (we already saw flashes late last year); Trent Taylor appears to have his speed back after being a year removed from back surgery; Goodwin is healthy; we used two day two picks on Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd. Also, the RB room is much better adding Coleman and likely having a healthy McKinnon by the time the season starts.
    😯👍

Good stuff. I have no concerns over Jimmys ability.

My only concern at this point with the offense is whether they can get in sync quickly but, according to all the rave reviews about his leadership ability, that seems to be right up JGs alley

Pettis is legit - great pick even if it was perceived as a reach at the time - and now he has a season under his belt, but he has minimal experience with JG.

Since Jimmy went down, Kittle has also emerged as an incredible weapon. Hes also young with another season of experience.

Goodwin and JG seem to have good rapport.

Im champing at the bit to see what Samuel does in his first year and how they deploy Hurd.

I think the backfield has an explosive dynamism. Theyre no Saquon Barkley, but they are quick, fast, and shifty.

I think were going to outperform expectations.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

- Carl Sagan

It's not exactly breaking news but the health of certain groups will be the biggest indicator of our success imo. Honestly, with others recent history and the lack of contact and cuts he should have to endure Jimmy's health doesn't particularly concern me as much as other guys. At WR Pettis is of smaller stature and already dealt with injuries as a rookie and will likely have a much bigger workload than last year, Deebo had durability issues his college career, Goodwin has been dealt with injuries his entire career, and Taylor had a pretty serious back injury last year. On defense Ford was our biggest acquisition and hasn't been healthy his entire career and is already dealing with knee issues before the season has even started, Bosa is coming off a serious injury and pulled a hammy in OTA's, Kwon is coming off a torn ACL, Sherman is another year older and has had major injuries to both legs, Verrett's issues are well documented, as is Ward's, Tartt's, and Colbert's at safety.

I honestly think the only thing that could hold back the team from legitimately contending for a playoff spot this year is health but but assuming everyone will stay healthy is a longshot with the guys we have, just have to hope there's no serious injuries and guys can stop when they inevitably occur.

Loving the reports on Bosa so far, very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Yeah. When Joe Staley is getting advice from a rookie pass rusher, it says something about that player. I think it was Matt Maiocco that said that Bosa looks much better than Aldon Smith looked at this point in his career.

I'm certainly not alone on this, but I'm predicting that Richie James makes the 53-man roster. If I am right, Goodwin, Bourne, and Matthews are competing for one spot (assuming that Pettis, Deebo, Hurd, and Taylor are locks).

Who are the 5 players that you are looking forward to seeing play the most in the 1st preseason game? Here are mine:

1) Nick Bosa - with all of the reports on how dominant he's been at camp, I want to see that on the field in a game.

2) Jason Verrett - one of the most intriguing camp battles to me is outside CB between Witherspoon and Verrett. I want to see him in action.

3) Tarvarius Moore - now that he's back at safety, I want to see how he's progressed and whether he is an option to compete for the starting FS spot. He should get a lot of action in the game.

4) Jalen Hurd - Hurd has some good size and if he develops faster than anticipated, it will go a long way in improving the WR group,especially in the red zone.

5) Dre Greenlaw - several reports that he is looking really good at camp so far and has a legitimate chance at starting at SLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Who are the 5 players that you are looking forward to seeing play the most in the 1st preseason game? Here are mine:

1) Nick Bosa - with all of the reports on how dominant he's been at camp, I want to see that on the field in a game.

2) Jason Verrett - one of the most intriguing camp battles to me is outside CB between Witherspoon and Verrett. I want to see him in action.

3) Tarvarius Moore - now that he's back at safety, I want to see how he's progressed and whether he is an option to compete for the starting FS spot. He should get a lot of action in the game.

4) Jalen Hurd - Hurd has some good size and if he develops faster than anticipated, it will go a long way in improving the WR group,especially in the red zone.

5) Dre Greenlaw - several reports that he is looking really good at camp so far and has a legitimate chance at starting at SLB.
    Yeah that about covers me too, though I doubt I'll catch the game live.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post

I think Cohn was the writer that hated the pick, but I think we have a star there.

It also appears that I might be wrong on Deebo and Dre Greenlaw...both appear to be good.

Kyle's comments about the WR's are concerning. I think overall as a group it might be a weakness. The numbers and snaps are leaning as if Richie James and Jordan Matthews won't make the team.

The 6 WR's they go with are Bourne (red zone flourished), Hurd, Deebo, Pettis, Taylor, Goodwin.
    It's time to start winning right?

Playoffs and Championship droughts...

SF 49ers - 5 years no playoffs, 24 years no championship
    LA Lakers - 6 years no playoffs, 9 years no championship
    LA Kings - 1 year no playoffs, 5 years no championship
    SF Giants - 2 years no playoffs, 5 years no championship

5 I want to see: ( I can't imagine most of the core rotation guys will play at all, so it will be the other guys)

No order.

Nick Mullens vs. CJ Beatherd. Kyle swears by his draft pick, the eye test says Mullens. Curious to see if Kyle will stay stubborn, or do what's best for the team.

Jullian Taylor. He flashed in one pre-season game last year. His camp reports are showing the same thing. The 49ers probably hid him so he could make PS or still have him as part of the future. I'm just curious if he flashes.

Verett. Lynch said he' looks everybit as good as he was, especially since he was considering retirement, if he can stay healthy and be effective, I think its a huge upgrade over Akhello.

Ross Dwelley. By all reports he's solidified himself as the backup TE. Apparently both as a blocker and pass catcher. Can't wait to see it.

The last one is either the WR corps b/c i have no idea who is good among this crop, and neither does Kyle. Or our punter who was taken pretty high... let's see if that translates to something that gives the 49ers an edge on Sundays, or is just another punter. (aka bad pick)

Lakers, that was a very detailed and extensive look at last year's team when mostly healthy. With all of that being said, I still think we get the same result as last year. A loss on the road in Tampa.

The 49ers were never in that game in Minny, and most defended it b/c Minny was in the title game, but the Vikings of 2018 missed the playoffs and lost to bad teams along the way... Kyle didn't have his team prepared for week 1, and that was my biggest takeaway. Something that continued onto the rest of the season with or without Jimmy G.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast