Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,783

    Best teams to not win titles

    Perfect example being the Orlando Magic teams of the 90s especially with such talent like Penny Hardaway, Shaq, Anderson, Skiles, Scott...with all those players in today's NBA at their prime that would be enough to win a title at least but they couldn't get the job done

    Which other teams were great teams to never win titles

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,211
    First teams that jump in my head are the Utah Jazz (96-97) and the early 00's Kings.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    33,719
    I'm assuming you mean best teams to never have won a title as opposed to best teams that didn't win a title. Otherwise the best teams to not win a title are probably versions of teams that did (like the 80's Lakers when they lost).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,783
    Other teams who had talent in abundance but couldn't get it done are the 2001 Toronto Raptors especially with the team they had: Carter, Davis, Oakley, Williams, Williams, Mo Pete, Keon Clark, etc. how that team could not win a title is beyond me

    Seattle Sonics in 96 is another team who had talent but couldn't get it done

    Sacramento being another team who had talent in abundance: Peja Stojakovic, White Chocolate, Brad Miller, Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, Divac, Webber, etc

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,647
    Early 2000 Kings
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,415
    OKC had a bunch of squads with championship potential.

    D'antoni Suns and Adelman Kings.

    Shaq Magic.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    33,719
    The best teams by SRS to never win a title are:

    2013 Oklahoma City Thunder - 91.5 SRS (Lost in Semis)
    1986 Milwaukee Bucks - 8.69 SRS (Lost in ECF)
    2009 Cleveland Cavs - 8.68 SRS (Lost in Finals)
    1994 Seattle Sonics - 8.68 SRS (Lost in 1st Rd)
    1991 Portland Blazers - 8.47 SRS (Lost in WCF)
    2018 Houston Rockets - 8.21 SRS (Lost in WCF)


    Those are generally not the teams (and if they are, not the years) that most people think when they think of when they think of best teams never to win a title. I wonder if these teams are underrated or if SRS is wrong in these cases.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,783
    1999 New York Knicks are another team who had talent certainly enough that they could have won it all

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,886
    Rockets would have beaten GSW and then likely Cleveland as well had CP3 not went down in 2018. That was their year.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    112,335
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Early 2000 Kings
    not really fair... they were legit cheated : (


    They the real champs.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,620
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The best teams by SRS to never win a title are:

    2013 Oklahoma City Thunder - 91.5 SRS (Lost in Semis)
    1986 Milwaukee Bucks - 8.69 SRS (Lost in ECF)
    2009 Cleveland Cavs - 8.68 SRS (Lost in Finals)
    1994 Seattle Sonics - 8.68 SRS (Lost in 1st Rd)
    1991 Portland Blazers - 8.47 SRS (Lost in WCF)
    2018 Houston Rockets - 8.21 SRS (Lost in WCF)


    Those are generally not the teams (and if they are, not the years) that most people think when they think of when they think of best teams never to win a title. I wonder if these teams are underrated or if SRS is wrong in these cases.
    2009 Cavs lost in the ECF finals to the Magic.

    I know they won 66 games but that team was hot garbage. Started 2 centers and 2 point guards with LBJ, lol

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Other teams who had talent in abundance but couldn't get it done are the 2001 Toronto Raptors especially with the team they had: Carter, Davis, Oakley, Williams, Williams, Mo Pete, Keon Clark, etc. how that team could not win a title is beyond me

    Seattle Sonics in 96 is another team who had talent but couldn't get it done

    Sacramento being another team who had talent in abundance: Peja Stojakovic, White Chocolate, Brad Miller, Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, Divac, Webber, etc
    90s Sonics and the early 2000s Kings are legitimate answers to this question. Those were some damn good teams and among the best squads in the league in their respective eras.

    The early 2000s Raptors do not remotely belong anywhere near this list, and the only reason I can think you added them is maybe that you're a Raptors fan (I honestly don't know)? That team won a whopping 47 games that year, was 14th in the league in SRS and finished 5th in an already pretty weak Eastern Conference. Aside from Carter, there wasn't another guy on that roster anywhere near All-Star caliber that year.

    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The best teams by SRS to never win a title are:

    2013 Oklahoma City Thunder - 91.5 SRS (Lost in Semis)
    1986 Milwaukee Bucks - 8.69 SRS (Lost in ECF)
    2009 Cleveland Cavs - 8.68 SRS (Lost in Finals)
    1994 Seattle Sonics - 8.68 SRS (Lost in 1st Rd)
    1991 Portland Blazers - 8.47 SRS (Lost in WCF)
    2018 Houston Rockets - 8.21 SRS (Lost in WCF)

    Those are generally not the teams (and if they are, not the years) that most people think when they think of when they think of best teams never to win a title. I wonder if these teams are underrated or if SRS is wrong in these cases.
    Actually, these teams (generally speaking, maybe not those specific years) would definitely be in the conversation among the best to never win it, IMO. Without thinking, I would have thought of the 90s Sonics, 90s Blazers, the 2018 Rockets and OKC with Durant. Those were all excellent teams that could have easily won titles had 1-2 things gone a little differently.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10,118
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    2009 Cavs lost in the ECF finals to the Magic.

    I know they won 66 games but that team was hot garbage. Started 2 centers and 2 point guards with LBJ, lol
    This.

    I think it worked for awhile through the regular season. The defensive numbers were really good, but all it really took was someone gameplanning in the playoffs. And the Magic had the right pieces to get it done.

    Regular season SRS just doesn't quite tell the story. I happen to think the 2017 playoff Cavs are arguably the best Cavs team ever. It's just unfortunate they were faced against an Olympic team, one that has never lost a series fully healthy. Closest to beat them were the 2018 Rox which were truly a historic team in their own right.
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    This.

    I think it worked for awhile through the regular season. The defensive numbers were really good, but all it really took was someone gameplanning in the playoffs. And the Magic had the right pieces to get it done.

    Regular season SRS just doesn't quite tell the story. I happen to think the 2017 playoff Cavs are arguably the best Cavs team ever. It's just unfortunate they were faced against an Olympic team, one that has never lost a series fully healthy. Closest to beat them were the 2018 Rox which were truly a historic team in their own right.
    I agree, that Cavs team was really clicking. Just hit a wall in that stacked Warriors team.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    47,688
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The best teams by SRS to never win a title are:

    2013 Oklahoma City Thunder - 91.5 SRS (Lost in Semis)
    1986 Milwaukee Bucks - 8.69 SRS (Lost in ECF)
    2009 Cleveland Cavs - 8.68 SRS (Lost in Finals)
    1994 Seattle Sonics - 8.68 SRS (Lost in 1st Rd)
    1991 Portland Blazers - 8.47 SRS (Lost in WCF)
    2018 Houston Rockets - 8.21 SRS (Lost in WCF)


    Those are generally not the teams (and if they are, not the years) that most people think when they think of when they think of best teams never to win a title. I wonder if these teams are underrated or if SRS is wrong in these cases.
    That stat sucks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •