Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did ARod actually say this on TV?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1168362107374583808

There goes your would be managerial career.

I doubt A-Rod is seriously entertaining being a manager but yeah it was stupid. These guys don't get it when it comes to bunting. Even managers. Callaway did the same thing in hopes of tying that game in the 8th.

Bunting should only be saved for pitchers and home teams needing one run to win in extra innings.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-02-2019 at 04:37 PM.

a) I doubt he wants to be a manager (and this one statement really wouldn't be much of a stumbling block if he did)

b) Announcer, managers, players....none are infallible

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    a) I doubt he wants to be a manager (and this one statement really wouldn't be much of a stumbling block if he did)

b) Announcer, managers, players....none are infallible

yeah, seriously.

He didn't say anything perverse. Just a brain fart. You talk for 4 hours straight and see if you have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    yeah, seriously.

He didn't say anything perverse. Just a brain fart. You talk for 4 hours straight and see if you have any.
    but its not like he misspoke. Its as if hes believed this forever. He thought about it and said like it was supposed to make sense somehow.

Imagine trying to convince someone (let alone the WORLD) that a 2 run lead is better than a 3 run lead, and then justifying it.
    Last edited by amnesiac; 09-02-2019 at 06:00 PM.

I actually think what he said makes sense.

“My team is a super team, just young.” - Kings GM Vlade Divac. June 21, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
    but its not like he misspoke. Its as if hes believed this forever. He thought about it and said like it was supposed to make sense somehow.

Imagine trying to convince someone (let alone the WORLD) that a 2 run lead is better than a 3 run lead, and then justifying it.
    I think he was trying to convince people that a 2 run lead is better than a 1 run lead.

Bunt to take a 3-1 lead so a solo hr won't tie and a grand slam won't beat you. Looooool he clearly misspoke but that was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    I think he was trying to convince people that a 2 run lead is better than a 1 run lead.
    Yeah, he was saying a 2 run lead is better than a 1 run lead and a 4 run lead is better than a 3 run lead (because solo hr/grand slam doesn't tie/beat you respectively). With that said I don't ever remember people applauding him for a high baseball IQ and with all the off the field stuff I don't think he was ever going to be a manager anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Bunt to take a 3-1 lead so a solo hr won't tie and a grand slam won't beat you. Looooool he clearly misspoke but that was pretty good.
    He said an even number lead; wasn't specifically referring to only scoring the guy from second.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

His argument was that a 2 run lead was better than a 1 run lead, and that having an even numbered lead would be a good strategy because you can't be beat by the solo home run.

He goofed when he said you can't get beat by the grand slam.

But his real mistake is that bunting with a runner on second is a horrible strategy.

The reason Arod is good for TV is because half of what comes out of his mouth is b.s.. A lot of the stories he tells about interactions with old Yankees, especially Jeter and Reggie, are just completely fabricated. He's probably never once before thought that an even lead is better than an odd lead. He's just insecure and needs to project certainty and belonging.

Give me Jon Miller & Joe Morgan over this garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    His argument was that a 2 run lead was better than a 1 run lead, and that having an even numbered lead would be a good strategy because you can't be beat by the solo home run.

He goofed when he said you can't get beat by the grand slam.

But his real mistake is that bunting with a runner on second is a horrible strategy.
    Agree. He may be an idiot, but I think he misspoke and just worded things poorly. I thibk he was trying to say 2 is better than 1 because 1 swing can beat you and that it's a big mental jump from 3 to 4 too because a granny can't beat you either. Came out sounding like an idiot for sure, but it's hard on live TV.

It's not only that he has to talk for 4 hours. But his job is to provide insight for 4 hours, even if there isn't alot to talk about. It's not a situation where he's having a conversation with a buddy and gets to just stop when nothing is happening. He legit has to fill the dead time and when you're doing that, you're bound to say something dumb once and awhile. Really makes you appreciate the great ones, especially the great radio guys. It's a lot harder than it looks.

He didn't even misspeak. I love blindly hating on A-Rod as much as the next guy, but he didn't say anything wrong here.
    He's saying that the value of the additional run to make it a 2/4 run lead is exponentially more valuable than just the value of that run. It means pitchers can throw more strikes and be more aggressive, without getting too fancy and worrying about one bad pitch blowing the win.

Before he mentions a grand slam he says an even run lead is better, not just a two run lead specifically. I'm sure the all-time MLB leader in grand slams is very aware of how many runs they're worth.

Similar to how the difference between a 3 vs a 4 point lead in the 4th quarter of the NFL, means the other team can't tie it with a FG and has to score a TD. Whereas a 5 point lead vs 6 points in football isn't nearly as much of a difference maker.

It's a valid point and I've heard other broadcasters mention it during games before, and I'm surprised if no one else here has.

Hell, a few posters in this thread aren't even sure what to blindly hate on him for -- a few of you think the stupid thing he said was suggesting the batter bunt in that situation...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast