Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Earth is my turf
    Posts
    5,043
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    They also say things like, "suspect shot herself in the head with her hands cuffed behind her back."
    Wow this is an epic fail as a rebuttal to the topic.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    9,545
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    not like I think it a good idea anyway, but the question isn't 'should Carli Lloyd' be given a shot, it's 'should a female be given a shot' ....if there were a bigger, younger female interested, some of your issue becomes moot
    This.

    I mean, if Lloyd is too small that doesn't mean other women are.

    Not to mention the fact that IF she became a deadeye then it wouldn't matter if she's 4'11 and 80 ****ing pounds. They would work around everything else.

    Maybe the Bears fan is hypersensitive about kickers right now but there's no reason to shut down an opportunity for this to happen.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    14,704
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    the point being, male/female is used both as noun and adjective and I'm not exactly sure why this would be a question
    It's dehumanizing language so it's not exactly surprising that it's used in the context of police work.

    "Hey, look at this white male over there!" Nobody would say this in a normal conversation. Unless you're at the zoo looking at animals.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chapin78 View Post
    Wow this is an epic fail as a rebuttal to the topic.
    You know that actually happened though, right?
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 09-01-2019 at 10:45 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    82,297
    If she can perform, who cares? We’ve had girl kickers at our HS for years, most accurate kickers we’ve had.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    9,690
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    It's dehumanizing language so it's not exactly surprising that it's used in the context of police work.

    "Hey, look at this white male over there!" Nobody would say this in a normal conversation. Unless you're at the zoo looking at animals.
    Well now I'm just curious. How is referring to someone as a male dehumanizing, but saying a human is male is not? I'm simply not following your train of thought here; gender has been used as both noun and adjective forever and still is.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    14,704
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Well now I'm just curious. How is referring to someone as a male dehumanizing, but saying a human is male is not? I'm simply not following your train of thought here; gender has been used as both noun and adjective forever and still is.
    Have you ever called someone "a male" instead of "a man"? I can't tell you why words have contextual meaning. It's dehumanizing because male/female are used as nouns when referring to animals, not humans. I thought people learn this in school, but maybe it's different when you learn English as a foreign language.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    55,309

    Good idea/bad idea on rather or not female kickers would workout in the NFL.

    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Have you ever called someone "a male" instead of "a man"? I can't tell you why words have contextual meaning. It's dehumanizing because male/female are used as nouns when referring to animals, not humans. I thought people learn this in school, but maybe it's different when you learn English as a foreign language.
    Honestly I think your discussing how language is used. Years of German I learned the very proper way to use the language, and then when we hosted an exchange student. She explained to me early on how the way I walked was very formal because I was using it within grammatical context as opposed to within cultural context.

    For note:
    I was using der, die, and das with every noun in a very proper manner; and she said her area of Germany, despite learning it, never really used it.
    Last edited by warfelg; 09-01-2019 at 11:46 AM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    9,690
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Have you ever called someone "a male" instead of "a man"? I can't tell you why words have contextual meaning. It's dehumanizing because male/female are used as nouns when referring to animals, not humans. I thought people learn this in school, but maybe it's different when you learn English as a foreign language.
    I'm not talking about how I'd refer to someone in a face to face conversation; that would result in differences, certainly. But it would be the same thing as referring to someone as blonde (adjective) vs a blonde (noun).

    Language can certainly be a funny thing. My first name, for example, loosely translates to white; fine for me, as a (before balding) blonde of Scandinavian descent, I'm about as caucasion as one gets, but some years ago I may have caused someone to start going by their middle name when I met someone with the same name and told him it was puzzling that he would have the name....his grandparents emigrated from Ethiopia.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    14,704
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I'm not talking about how I'd refer to someone in a face to face conversation; that would result in differences, certainly. But it would be the same thing as referring to someone as blonde (adjective) vs a blonde (noun).
    Looking at the sentence that started this whole argument, the "Female" (capitalized) just sounded weird as hell to me.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8,346
    As a female, could she be referred to as a woman or a female? Sure. But as a female, SHOULD she be referred to as a woman or a female? ABSOLUTELY! That is scientifically what she is....

    As for the rest of the debate, if shes good enough, let her play.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    12,025
    It's almost 2020 I'm not even sure why a discussion like this exists. If she can play, then she should be able to.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    10,671
    If a woman can kick why not? If they can do the job why not? If a woman is better and more consistent kicker then a current teams kicker then yes She deserves the job. Anyone who says other wise is a sexist. Sorry you just are. Lets not act like current male kickers are the toughest guys in the world. Most avoid contact at all costs. She should be advised to do the same.

    Far as blocked kicks and getting hit while kicking. I'm sure her legs are much stronger then most people in here think. She's a soccer player after all. Plus strength coaches will have her ready.

    when i say "her" and "woman" i mean in general.
    Last edited by prodigy; 09-04-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    10,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    I have a question for you, Do you realize how old Carli Loyd is????? She is 37 years old. She is too old to play soccer anymore. You think she can just come in to a new sport at that age and be good enough to start. I mean seriously does anyone else realize the fact that outside of Vinatieri (46) Matt Bryant (44 just out of basically retirement) are the only 2 kickers older than her. we are going to bring in a Female who has never played the sport who would be older than 30 other NFL kickers and think she is going to be good????

    Am I crazy here or is this absurd. all cause she kicked 1 55 yarder with extra steps.

    Also at 5'7 141 lbs I doubt you can find me a kicker smaller than her. If you can I will accept your argument but until you find me a kicker less than like 170 (30 lbs bigger than her) I will not accept this as reality.
    the age argument is decent But the OP is about women in general not just this person.

    Size means nothing for a kicker. Can you kick consistently thats it. If a kicker needs to tackle then ur special teams sucks.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •