Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Good idea/bad idea on rather or not female kickers would workout in the NFL.

As you probably all know USA Soccer midfielder Carli Lloyd is highly considering kicking in the NFL but hereís my 5 good reasons and 5 bad reasons it May or May Not Work Out.

Good

1) It'll be fun to see someone of the opposite sex in the NFL.

2) This will open doors not only to women but will send a message to other young females if you try hard enough anything can happen.

3) It will give the team more popularity (maybe)

4) It could make the team better with a female kicker. (Again Maybe)

5) A female kicker could open the door to other sports to give women athletes a chance.

Bad

1) Team harassment now I doubt this would happen but letís be real not every guy is Prince Charming.

2) Guys maybe afraid to block the kicker because of her gender. Imagine two teams are tied at 23/23 and the other team brings in the female kicker? I doubt a lot of guys would try to block the kick.

3) Media attention now this can either be good or bad.

4) Special team treatment from coaches, other players and the league.

5) Getting to leave games early due to being the only female on the team. For things like showering and changing.

Well there you have it my top 5 good and top 5 bad reasons on rather or not nfl should hire female kickers.

I don't think it's a bad idea per se except the chances of transitioning to NFL kicking for anyone at age 37 are pretty slim. Kickers usually don't get touched on the field anyway, and are loners in the locker room. Teams might not want the extra "distraction" but the league office might see it as beneficial in terms of promoting the game.

I'm sure the Bears would try anything at this point.

I'm sure there are plenty of females that could be a kicker in the NFL.
    Could it work? I think it could. But I also think it could be a rough transition for those first couple of females on an NFL team at least until it becomes more of the norm.

I don't see it as good or bad as an idea....but in practice I just don't see an upside. I mean let's look at a kickoff....kickers may not normally see contact, and some kickers have looked pretty pathetic when forced to make any, but do you see a female trying to make a tackle? How 'bout the outcry if she gets hit, on a kickoff or during a FG try? A guy may never live it down. We can talk about how 'enlightened' we are and how it shouldn't matter....but this ain't the sport where females can likely coexist.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I don't see it as good or bad as an idea....but in practice I just don't see an upside. I mean let's look at a kickoff....kickers may not normally see contact, and some kickers have looked pretty pathetic when forced to make any, but do you see a female trying to make a tackle? How 'bout the outcry if she gets hit, on a kickoff or during a FG try? A guy may never live it down. We can talk about how 'enlightened' we are and how it shouldn't matter....but this ain't the sport where females can likely coexist.
    I got an easy way to talk about the kickoffs part:

If you sign Carli Lloyd and donít think she can take being on kickoff units, either have her run off the field (about 8 teams currently do this) or sign a punter how can handle KO duties.

2) Guys maybe afraid to block the kicker because of her gender. Imagine two teams are tied at 23/23 and the other team brings in the female kicker? I doubt a lot of guys would try to block the kick.
    0% chance that crosses anyoneís mind.

Of she's making kicks, nothing else matters. Everything else is gravy. Most punters have the ability to kick off if thata a concern. Most fakes don't involve the kicker anyways. At the end of the day making kicks from about 55 and in is all that matters.

I don't evny the first female. She will for sure face more backlash from the media and potentially teammates if she struggles at all, but if she's making kicks, no one will care outside of a portion of the dumb fan base.

Kathy Ireland was able to kick in Division 1 in Necessary Roughness

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...8,1000_AL_.jpg

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Its not for multiple reasons. Kickers may not be hit or blocked very often but they do. Kickoffs, Blocked FGs, they still need to tackle and play football. I mean lets be honest to on the whole 55 yarder too, she took 5 steps. and in a game you get 3. On kickoffs when kickers get more steps they boot it from 30 out of the endzone.

Can Carli do either of these things. Can she hit a 55 yarder on 3 steps. can she kick the ball 70+ yards for a touchback. And what happens when the kick returner gets by the 10 other men on the feild. can she make a tackle.

I will also just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzFyPY_jwDs

I mean if she can do all the things listed above. Kick with a 3 step kick, Kickoffs, and not be afrait to be blocked or tackles, its fine, But my gut tells me it would be more than she signed up for.
    Last edited by Kyben36; 08-31-2019 at 05:00 PM.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    Its not for multiple reasons. Kickers may not be hit or blocked very often but they do. Kickoffs, Blocked FGs, they still need to tackle and play football. I mean lets be honest to on the whole 55 yarder too, she took 5 steps. and in a game you get 3. On kickoffs when kickers get more steps they boot it from 30 out of the endzone.

Can Carli do either of these things. Can she hit a 55 yarder on 3 steps. can she kick the ball 70+ yards for a touchback. And what happens when the kick returner gets by the 10 other men on the feild. can she make a tackle.

I will also just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzFyPY_jwDs

I mean if she can do all the things listed above. Kick with a 3 step kick, Kickoffs, and not be afrait to be blocked or tackles, its fine, But my gut tells me it would be more than she signed up for.
    She had an offer to kick for a game in the preseason and turned it down, presumably because she was smart enough to realize that she hasn't had any real training for NFL kicking. If she can train for it and try next year, why not?

She could be bigger than a lot of kickers anyway. This notion that just because she has a vagina she (or any other female) can't tackle a player is just absurd.

If she can make field goals consistently and be damn good at it - she WOULD make an NFL roster. They'd deal with the extra stuff (training physically, tackling, locker room stuff, etc...) as best as they can.
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    She had an offer to kick for a game in the preseason and turned it down, presumably because she was smart enough to realize that she hasn't had any real training for NFL kicking. If she can train for it and try next year, why not?

She could be bigger than a lot of kickers anyway. This notion that just because she has a vagina she (or any other female) can't tackle a player is just absurd.

If she can make field goals consistently and be damn good at it - she WOULD make an NFL roster. They'd deal with the extra stuff (training physically, tackling, locker room stuff, etc...) as best as they can.
    I have a question for you, Do you realize how old Carli Loyd is????? She is 37 years old. She is too old to play soccer anymore. You think she can just come in to a new sport at that age and be good enough to start. I mean seriously does anyone else realize the fact that outside of Vinatieri (46) Matt Bryant (44 just out of basically retirement) are the only 2 kickers older than her. we are going to bring in a Female who has never played the sport who would be older than 30 other NFL kickers and think she is going to be good????

Am I crazy here or is this absurd. all cause she kicked 1 55 yarder with extra steps.

Also at 5'7 141 lbs I doubt you can find me a kicker smaller than her. If you can I will accept your argument but until you find me a kicker less than like 170 (30 lbs bigger than her) I will not accept this as reality.
    Last edited by Kyben36; 08-31-2019 at 06:06 PM.

-Rem Koolhaas

Just going through some kickers sizes here

Fairbairn 6' 183
    Tucker 6'1 183
    crosby 6'1 207
    Mahner 6'1 183
    Gould 6'0 190
    Rosas 6'3 221
    Gostkowski 6'1 215

Do i need to go on why this is a bad idea. and this is just comparing her to kickers. Not even the 6'6 315 lb Linemen rushing and trying to block the kick. I mean the smallest kicker on the list is 40 lbs heavier than her.

-Rem Koolhaas

I mean Lagistically speaking too are we going to give her her own locker room too???? What happens when one of these bone headed football players hits on her. This is a nightmare situation waiting to happen. and I get it equal rights and all. But Forcing this square block into this round hole is rediculous. there are far too many reasons this should not be considered than the rediculous list above.

-Rem Koolhaas

not like I think it a good idea anyway, but the question isn't 'should Carli Lloyd' be given a shot, it's 'should a female be given a shot' ....if there were a bigger, younger female interested, some of your issue becomes moot
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    not like I think it a good idea anyway, but the question isn't 'should Carli Lloyd' be given a shot, it's 'should a female be given a shot' ....if there were a bigger, younger female interested, some of your issue becomes moot
    I have no issue with what your saying, Younger Has worked at it sure its worth a shot, But I think its rediculous to think Carli Loyd is the answer for anyone. I mean was she even in cleats during the kick or was it just 1 kick, we all saw how Vedvic looked good and then changed. But I do think there are still concerns.

-Rem Koolhaas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast