Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    The next 10 games are huge. We have to take advantage of the Giants, Pirates, and Rockies.. Anything less than a 7-3 mark will be a letdown..
    I overall agree, but even 6 of 10 as long as the Cubs don't gain is fine.

I want to enter those last 10 games up 4 games. That means we still win the division even if we go 2-5 over those 7 (assuming equal play in the 3 games in between).

What would it take to get Thor? Would Bader/Wong/Hudson do it? For Thor and Nimmo? Mets seem to really like Bader and his defense in between the two very good bats in LF and RF would help them tremendously and Wong's on base ability in that 2 spot would be perfect for them. I like Wong, I have been a critic for a long time, but he has won me over, but I feel we can actually replace him. Thor/Flaherty/Martinez/Mikolas/Gomber would be a pretty legit starting rotation. Re-sign Ozuna and have Ozuna/Nimmo/Fowler until Carlson is ready then Nimmo becomes the 4th OF.

Schrock or Edman take over 2nd base and maybe sign Moose for 3B on a 2 year deal until Gorman is ready.

Then Carp can give everyone days off.

Carp/Jose/Schrock/Knizner on the bench, then when Carlson is ready, trade Jose for a reliever, I'm sure we will need one eventually

I'd also trade Oneill for a reliever as well

Fowler
    Nimmo
    Goldie
    Ozuna
    Moose
    DeJong
    Molina
    Edman

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    What would it take to get Thor? Would Bader/Wong/Hudson do it? For Thor and Nimmo? Mets seem to really like Bader and his defense in between the two very good bats in LF and RF would help them tremendously and Wong's on base ability in that 2 spot would be perfect for them. I like Wong, I have been a critic for a long time, but he has won me over, but I feel we can actually replace him. Thor/Flaherty/Martinez/Mikolas/Gomber would be a pretty legit starting rotation. Re-sign Ozuna and have Ozuna/Nimmo/Fowler until Carlson is ready then Nimmo becomes the 4th OF.

Schrock or Edman take over 2nd base and maybe sign Moose for 3B on a 2 year deal until Gorman is ready.

Then Carp can give everyone days off.

Carp/Jose/Schrock/Knizner on the bench, then when Carlson is ready, trade Jose for a reliever, I'm sure we will need one eventually

I'd also trade Oneill for a reliever as well

Fowler
    Nimmo
    Goldie
    Ozuna
    Moose
    DeJong
    Molina
    Edman
    I'd love to have Thor. But I don't see any incentive for the Met's to trade him unless it's for 2 top 50 prospects. And the Met's don't need Wong with Cano under contract for another 4 years, and I don't see why they would trade Nimmo.

I also don't see why we'd sign Moose, who is basically the same player as Carpenter, but with worse plate discipline. I realize Carpenter had a bad year this year, but just like with Fowler, the organization is going to be counting on him to turn it around in 2020.

I do think it would be smart to trade for a pitcher this off-season. Mike Minor makes a lot of sense from the Rangers for example. I doubt they plunge deep for a front end ace, though Kluber still intrigues me as a guy the Indians might shop even with his injuries this year (neither should be expected to affect him in 20). I imagine that they'll look for a starter, but that it will inevitably be a mid rotation starter like Minor.

I can see O'Neill and Juan Yepez going to Texas for Minor and Yerry Rodriguez for example.

Rotation would become:

1. Flaherty
    2. Hudson
    3. Minor
    4. Mikolas
    5. Wainwright/Gomber/etc.

And then Martinez would remain in the closers role in 2020.

I don't see many changes to the lineup, but if we do re-sign Ozuna, I would expect O'Neill to be traded away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I'd love to have Thor. But I don't see any incentive for the Met's to trade him unless it's for 2 top 50 prospects. And the Met's don't need Wong with Cano under contract for another 4 years, and I don't see why they would trade Nimmo.

I also don't see why we'd sign Moose, who is basically the same player as Carpenter, but with worse plate discipline. I realize Carpenter had a bad year this year, but just like with Fowler, the organization is going to be counting on him to turn it around in 2020.

I do think it would be smart to trade for a pitcher this off-season. Mike Minor makes a lot of sense from the Rangers for example. I doubt they plunge deep for a front end ace, though Kluber still intrigues me as a guy the Indians might shop even with his injuries this year (neither should be expected to affect him in 20). I imagine that they'll look for a starter, but that it will inevitably be a mid rotation starter like Minor.

I can see O'Neill and Juan Yepez going to Texas for Minor and Yerry Rodriguez for example.

Rotation would become:

1. Flaherty
    2. Hudson
    3. Minor
    4. Mikolas
    5. Wainwright/Gomber/etc.

And then Martinez would remain in the closers role in 2020.

I don't see many changes to the lineup, but if we do re-sign Ozuna, I would expect O'Neill to be traded away.
    I read that the Mets want a defensive ace as the CFer, could just be random stuff, I'm sure. As for Cano, I get that hes there for a while, but Wong is an upgrade over him and it makes it so Cano can be the utility at 3rd, 2nd and 1st. Also read that the Mets are growing frustrated with Nimmo's health. Again, could just be fans talking, which it most likely is.

I personally think Moose is an upgrade over Carp. I dont see Carp bouncing back to be as good as moose and I think a bench role with giving the starters days off as a good role for him going forward.

I hope we keep Ozuna, but I wouldnt want him anymore than on a 5 year deal. If we dont bring him back, I'd understand why, but we better go after a starter if that's the case. If we dont bring him back then a bat like Moose is absolutely needed.

Take Ozunas bat out of the lineup and dont replace it with anything more than Oneill, we will struggle mightily next year

And I think we have to move Carlos back to the rotation. Hes not a closer, we need him in the rotation. Hicks will be back around mid season, and I know we cant just throw him in that role again, but we have other arms that can take that role, Gallegos is one of them

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

I agree, Martinez needs to be in the rotation. 100%. But I think Wainwright is going to be invited back to the rotation next year, and I imagine they want another vet for depth in there.

Flaherty, Hudson, and Mikolas all have rotation spots. If Wainwright wants his spot back, he'll get it in 2020, but that's just a matter of time before he can't compete any longer.

I agree, if we lose Ozuna and don't make any upgrades, our already weaker lineup will regress even further which makes winning the division nearly impossible next year.

I don't see the Met's doing any of those things. I could certainly be wrong, but they have 4 years of Cano and a lot of money in him still. I doubt they move on from that so quickly considering they believed he was worth the investment so recently.

I see Moose going back to Milwaukee every year.

I can see us just re-signing Ozuna in the off-season and trading O'Neill for another reliever, and moving Carlos back to the rotation. Might be a slow off-season for us.

If we brought back Ozuna on a 5/$100M deal or so, that's basically the remaining budget. Assume Weiters and Wainwright come back.

C - Molina
    1B - Goldschmidt
    2B - Wong
    SS - DeJong
    3B - Carpenter
    LF - Ozuna
    CF - Bader
    RF - Fowler

Bench
    C - Wieters eventually Knizner
    1B/OF - Martinez
    Util - Edman (lot's of starts, but just various positions)
    OF - Thomas
    IF - one of Munoz/Urias/Shrock/Lopez/Sosa

Rotation
    1. Flaherty
    2. Hudson
    3. Mikolas
    4. Martinez
    5. Wainwright

bullpen
    Longer - Ponce
    R - Brebbia
    R - Gant
    L - Miller
    L - Webb/vet signing
    R - Gallegos
    R - Hicks
    R - Vet signing/O'Neill trade return
    R - Fernandez

Rotation depth
    L - Cabrera
    L - Gomber
    R - Helsley
    R - Ponce

Bullpen depth
    R - Helsley
    R - Reyes
    R - Woodford

Mayers and Leone probably gone

If they brought back Ozuna, then O'Neill (or maybe Martinez) is likely traded for bullpen depth. And they'd use any remaining funds to backup the depth behind Wainwright. Tony Watson wouldn't be a total shock, but that would be if they felt confident that Carlos was back in the rotation.

I agree, Martinez needs to be in the rotation. 100%. But I think Wainwright is going to be invited back to the rotation next year, and I imagine they want another vet for depth in there.

Flaherty, Hudson, and Mikolas all have rotation spots. If Wainwright wants his spot back, he'll get it in 2020, but that's just a matter of time before he can't compete any longer.

I agree, if we lose Ozuna and don't make any upgrades, our already weaker lineup will regress even further which makes winning the division nearly impossible next year.

I don't see the Met's doing any of those things. I could certainly be wrong, but they have 4 years of Cano and a lot of money in him still. I doubt they move on from that so quickly considering they believed he was worth the investment so recently.

I see Moose going back to Milwaukee every year.

I can see us just re-signing Ozuna in the off-season and trading O'Neill for another reliever, and moving Carlos back to the rotation. Might be a slow off-season for us.

If we brought back Ozuna on a 5/$100M deal or so, that's basically the remaining budget. Assume Weiters and Wainwright come back.

C - Molina
    1B - Goldschmidt
    2B - Wong
    SS - DeJong
    3B - Carpenter
    LF - Ozuna
    CF - Bader
    RF - Fowler

Bench
    C - Wieters eventually Knizner
    1B/OF - Martinez
    Util - Edman (lot's of starts, but just various positions)
    OF - Thomas
    IF - one of Munoz/Urias/Shrock/Lopez/Sosa

Rotation
    1. Flaherty
    2. Hudson
    3. Mikolas
    4. Martinez
    5. Wainwright

bullpen
    Longer - Ponce
    R - Brebbia
    R - Gant
    L - Miller
    L - Webb/vet signing
    R - Gallegos
    R - Hicks
    R - Vet signing/O'Neill trade return
    R - Fernandez

Rotation depth
    L - Cabrera
    L - Gomber
    R - Helsley
    R - Ponce

Bullpen depth
    R - Helsley
    R - Reyes
    R - Woodford

Mayers and Leone probably gone

If they brought back Ozuna, then O'Neill (or maybe Martinez) is likely traded for bullpen depth. And they'd use any remaining funds to backup the depth behind Wainwright. Tony Watson wouldn't be a total shock, but that would be if they felt confident that Carlos was back in the rotation.
    I'd be ok with that. I think Carlson gets a call up in probably june or july. I hate expecting things out of Reyes, but something's got to give, doesnt it?

I thought the only reason the Mets ok's bringing Cano over was because they got Diaz?

I think Knizner splits time with Yaddy next year, no need to bring Weiters back imo. 100 games for Yaddy, 62 for Knizner. Hes gotta be up every day learning as much as he can.

Martinez has to be in the rotation next year, if not then I want to trade him. We can still get quality for him, but if he cant be in the rotation, then we arent competing next year. We need a starter and a bat (if Ozuna leaves). If Martinez isnt that starter, then he needs to be traded freeing up more money to get that bat and rotation guy. Doesnt have to be FOTR guy, but someone to eat up innings.

If we arent keeping Ozuna then I'd like to go after Nicholas Castellanos. I know you dont like him, but I think his bat would be much more impactful than his defense in LF would hurt. Bader in CF also helps with that as well. I'd rather take that route for the fact that he hits for a higher average and would be great in the 2 or 4 slot.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I'd be ok with that. I think Carlson gets a call up in probably june or july. I hate expecting things out of Reyes, but something's got to give, doesnt it?
    Agreed on both

I thought the only reason the Mets ok's bringing Cano over was because they got Diaz?
    Diaz was the big value, but they had to believe Cano had plenty of life left to still be willing to pay that much. I doubt they shop for a second basemen the next two years.

I think Knizner splits time with Yaddy next year, no need to bring Weiters back imo. 100 games for Yaddy, 62 for Knizner. Hes gotta be up every day learning as much as he can.
    Fully agreed.

But if they and Molina are expecting a 130+ game season, there is no reason to waste a year of control for Knizner to sit on the bench when he could play everyday in Memphis. Better off getting a backup to hang around.

That said, I think it should be 81/81 split in 2020. I think Molina is pretty close to done. His defense is regressing, the offense, while nice for about 3 weeks there, is going back to the early season slumping. He doesn't have long left before he's sub replacement level.

Ideal world for me.

Molina and Knizner split most of 2020. Maybe Molina gets a few more over him, but it needs to trend toward Knizner eventually

Then bring Molina back as Knizner's backup each year starting in 2021 for as long as he wants to play.

Martinez has to be in the rotation next year, if not then I want to trade him. We can still get quality for him, but if he cant be in the rotation, then we arent competing next year. We need a starter and a bat (if Ozuna leaves). If Martinez isnt that starter, then he needs to be traded freeing up more money to get that bat and rotation guy. Doesnt have to be FOTR guy, but someone to eat up innings.
    Ideally, yes. But if Martinez is our closer, $11M isn't so bad for that position. He and Hicks in the 8th and 9th next Sept/Oct could be a huge boost for the team in the potential playoffs.

But he has a lot more value as a starter.

If we arent keeping Ozuna then I'd like to go after Nicholas Castellanos. I know you dont like him, but I think his bat would be much more impactful than his defense in LF would hurt. Bader in CF also helps with that as well. I'd rather take that route for the fact that he hits for a higher average and would be great in the 2 or 4 slot.
    Casty's been better than I thought he'd be, that's for certain.

I'm not a huge fan of losing Ozuna because we simply have such a poor offense this year. But the talent is there for us to have one of the better offenses in baseball. If we lose Ozuna, I feel we need to make an addition somewhere to the offense, but I have no idea where.

Agreed on both

Diaz was the big value, but they had to believe Cano had plenty of life left to still be willing to pay that much. I doubt they shop for a second basemen the next two years.

Fully agreed.

But if they and Molina are expecting a 130+ game season, there is no reason to waste a year of control for Knizner to sit on the bench when he could play everyday in Memphis. Better off getting a backup to hang around.

That said, I think it should be 81/81 split in 2020. I think Molina is pretty close to done. His defense is regressing, the offense, while nice for about 3 weeks there, is going back to the early season slumping. He doesn't have long left before he's sub replacement level.

Ideal world for me.

Molina and Knizner split most of 2020. Maybe Molina gets a few more over him, but it needs to trend toward Knizner eventually

Then bring Molina back as Knizner's backup each year starting in 2021 for as long as he wants to play.

Ideally, yes. But if Martinez is our closer, $11M isn't so bad for that position. He and Hicks in the 8th and 9th next Sept/Oct could be a huge boost for the team in the potential playoffs.

But he has a lot more value as a starter.

Casty's been better than I thought he'd be, that's for certain.

I'm not a huge fan of losing Ozuna because we simply have such a poor offense this year. But the talent is there for us to have one of the better offenses in baseball. If we lose Ozuna, I feel we need to make an addition somewhere to the offense, but I have no idea where.
    I think we agree on everything

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123