Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    So ... you want Wilson Chandler, who changed teams twice and played only 50 games last year because of multiple injuries, and who is suspended for the first third of the season for PED use to replace KD ... and that would have made you happier?

I think the Russell deal was a good GM getting creative and finding a way to get things done. Myers literally turned nothing into a young all-star player.
    perhaps he could have included iggy in the deal to get a young wing from them

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    perhaps he could have included iggy in the deal to get a young wing from them
    A double sign and trade completely hard caps them. They had to pay to move Iguodala's contract ... they couldn't find someone both willing to take his contract AND give them a young up and coming SF.

What they are hoping to do is draft players they can develop to play or trade away for better picks or players, and get youngish players off the scrap heap of other teams where their skills were under-utilized.

The first part is the 6 young kids in their first or second year under contract, the 2nd part is GR3 and WCS.

What they are hoping to do is draft players they can develop to play or trade away for better picks or players, and get youngish players off the scrap heap of other teams where their skills were under-utilized.

The first part is the 6 young kids in their first or second year under contract, the 2nd part is GR3 and WCS.
    ohhh- i see, well you gotta draft guys better than jacob evans. That guy looks like he might not survive in the league another 2 seasons. and im not sure they got notably better with the damian jones trade

ohhh- i see, well you gotta draft guys better than jacob evans. That guy looks like he might not survive in the league another 2 seasons. and im not sure they got notably better with the damian jones trade
    Take another look at that draft. Was there a long list of clearly better players taken after him? Evans has a reasonable chance to be a very good defender, and his offense has come along a lot. His confidence has been an issue, but hopefully that's been fixed.

I liked Damian Jones, but he couldn't stay healthy, and Spellman is far more skilled but has a conditioning issue. In the NBA you don't find players without issues late in the draft. Spellman could be a good NBA player, we just don't know yet.

Take another look at that draft. Was there a long list of clearly better players taken after him? Evans has a reasonable chance to be a very good defender, and his offense has come along a lot. His confidence has been an issue, but hopefully that's been fixed.

I liked Damian Jones, but he couldn't stay healthy, and Spellman is far more skilled but has a conditioning issue. In the NBA you don't find players without issues late in the draft. Spellman could be a good NBA player, we just don't know yet.
    what about a guy like mitchell robinson- he was taken the same year as jacob evans right?

what about a guy like mitchell robinson- he was taken the same year as jacob evans right?
    Yes, and he was the one person who was clearly under-drafted, but he fell because he was an out of shape head case who was super raw, so he may yet fall apart. And he plays a position the Warriors (and to some extent the NBA) don't really value all that highly. But yeah, Robinson would maybe have been better but Evans' position is far more needed and valued. I liked Jarred Vanderbilt, Bruce Brown, Shake Milton, Melvin Frazier, Keita Bates-Diop, De'Anthony Melton, and Jalen Brunson ... but they all have had some issues (or a lot of issues) too.

Picking at the bottom of the first means more risk and far far less likely they pay off.

Had they drafted Robinson they may have been able to trade him for a mid-first pick, which would re-up the randomness of the draft but with a little more value.

Yes, and he was the one person who was clearly under-drafted, but he fell because he was an out of shape head case who was super raw, so he may yet fall apart. And he plays a position the Warriors (and to some extent the NBA) don't really value all that highly. But yeah, Robinson would maybe have been better but Evans' position is far more needed and valued. I liked Jarred Vanderbilt, Bruce Brown, Shake Milton, Melvin Frazier, Keita Bates-Diop, De'Anthony Melton, and Jalen Brunson ... but they all have had some issues (or a lot of issues) too.

Picking at the bottom of the first means more risk and far far less likely they pay off.

Had they drafted Robinson they may have been able to trade him for a mid-first pick, which would re-up the randomness of the draft but with a little more value.
    What do you think of the 3 rookies the warriors got int he draft this season?

I already like Jordan Poole more than Evans. poole seemed to miss a lot of shots- but he has confidence and he can create his own shot... a guy who could create their own offense is something that the bench has been lacking for 2 or 3 years (probably since mo speights left) And i hear that eric paschall is suppose to be a really good pick up - but he didnt stand out to me in summer league. Im not sure about the other guy- i realize hes a second round pick, but he seems overhyped by people around the warriors. He's young, and i guess he played well in santa cruz- but im not sold he is ready to be in the rotation of an NBA team.

What do you think of the 3 rookies the warriors got int he draft this season?

I already like Jordan Poole more than Evans. poole seemed to miss a lot of shots- but he has confidence and he can create his own shot... a guy who could create their own offense is something that the bench has been lacking for 2 or 3 years (probably since mo speights left) And i hear that eric paschall is suppose to be a really good pick up - but he didnt stand out to me in summer league. Im not sure about the other guy- i realize hes a second round pick, but he seems overhyped by people around the warriors. He's young, and i guess he played well in santa cruz- but im not sold he is ready to be in the rotation of an NBA team.
    I really like them all. Poole and Bowman because I've been saying we need young fearless and smart shooters for years and now there are two of them.

Offense is far more valued by most fans than defense, and Evans offense is lacking in fearlessness and shooting where Poole is strong, but his defense and court game is far more advanced.

Paschall is an old school undersized full go full time guy who could be a long time NBA player, and could be really good if things work how they hope. But he's a "team" guy so his value isn't going to be obvious without time in a team for a while ... not a summer-league rookie show kind of player.

If you liked Speights Spellman is someone you should pay attention too. They are similar in several ways.

Smiley I've been watching closely as much as the Warriors allowed. He likely would have been a first round pick had he followed the usual route to the NBA but he wanted to play pro-ball in the US when he was underage so he went to the Warriors G-league as a 17 year old. They tried to hide him and several teams files protests against the Warriors. Supposedly the Warriors were willing to pay more than they did to keep him though they hoped he'd last until their last pick, but Gentry jumped in front of them to threaten them with taking him. He's a good athlete still growing into his body who is SUPER confidant but raw. Gbinjie, one of his G-league teammates said he's as cocky as Draymond, in a good way. He's supposedly up to 6'11" and 225 lbs and still growing. I watch the GL games as much as I can, and he often looked like the best player in the game by a margin. Some highlights someone else put together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReOxzS8Xxrw

I would have liked the Warriors to take a swing at Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot who cost the Bulls a 2nd round pick this offseason.

I hope this year the Warriors tank just enough to finish in the bottom 2 playoff qualifying teams so they can keep their draft pick and go get someone with fewer questions in the middle of the draft. Someone like Josh Green, Trendon Watford, Jaden McDaniels, or Scottie Lewis. A lot of SG/SF/PF talent in the draft, but good or bad for the Warriors there isn't much wing talent at the top next year at the moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12