Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Front Office Fun

Dunleavy with a promotion to Assistant GM. Zaza rejoining in a FO role spanning both business and ball. And snuck in at the bottom a little nepotism (I kid). Lacob brothers both getting a promotion.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...y-add-pachulia

I know you were joking True, but I don't really get why people who are fans of THIS team think kids of successful people can't be the best at the same job. Steph Curry, Klay Thompson anyone? Lacob's older kid has earned his spot by working his way up and is respected by the players and the business side ... no reason his younger one isn't worht the time.
    Last edited by Scoots; 08-31-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I know you were joke True, but I don't really get why people who are fans of THIS team think kids of successful people can't be the best at the same job. Steph Curry, Klay Thompson anyone? Lacob's older kid has earned his spot by working his way up and is respected by the players and the business side ... no reason his younger one isn't worht the time.
    I mean thatís just it tho. Most people look at it as a whole not just individual situations. As to this situation you could argue that while they may have worked their way up but their entry in the first place was greatly influenced by their name.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    I mean thatís just it tho. Most people look at it as a whole not just individual situations. As to this situation you could argue that while they may have worked their way up but their entry in the first place was greatly influenced by their name.
    Sure, but how you get in the door doesn't really matter if you can do the job, and the reality is that Steph grew up hearing about and seeing what it took to be a great shooter, so he had more data earlier to do that job. Lacob's kids have been around venture capital projects and been hearing about what makes an exec good for a company and what it takes to screw it up.

The issue with nepotism is when the family member screws the pooch are they protected and someone else blamed about their screw up. I HOPE Lacob is letting his boys sink or swim on their own, but since they are starting out working in the departments of other serious and successful guys who wouldn't take any **** about falsely promoting them I think they have likely earned their position just like Klay and Steph did.

By the way I said "I know you were joke" in the previous post which was a typo, I corrected it to "joking" ... I wasn't calling you a joke, just in case you read it that way.

By the way, Jerry West's son Jonnie was a caddy for Steph golfing and just got married to Michelle Wie ... apparently that caddy gig worked out.

He works in the Warriors front office too. I think he's still Director of Basketball Operations.

Iíve been trying to work for the Warriros since like forever. I was even willing to take a step down in my career to do so. Nepotism is a real thing, and the West kid and others are all there because of their connections. Thatís America 2019, LinkedIn anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    Iíve been trying to work for the Warriros since like forever. I was even willing to take a step down in my career to do so. Nepotism is a real thing, and the West kid and others are all there because of their connections. Thatís America 2019, LinkedIn anyone?
    Sure ... introductions/connections are important as they have ALWAYS been. I had an in with the Warriors through working with KNBR 30 years ago but I was on a different path. I was friends with the head of the waste workers union, I wish I had taken his offer of a job when I was 17 ... I'd be retired with a fat pension now and working on my second pension.

The real nastiness is when family is protected in their screw ups, others take the fall, and family is promoted despite being horribly unqualified.

Hiring talent that you know makes sense, but they have to earn every step from the first one on for it to work.

Sure, but how you get in the door doesn't really matter if you can do the job, and the reality is that Steph grew up hearing about and seeing what it took to be a great shooter, so he had more data earlier to do that job. Lacob's kids have been around venture capital projects and been hearing about what makes an exec good for a company and what it takes to screw it up.

The issue with nepotism is when the family member screws the pooch are they protected and someone else blamed about their screw up. I HOPE Lacob is letting his boys sink or swim on their own, but since they are starting out working in the departments of other serious and successful guys who wouldn't take any **** about falsely promoting them I think they have likely earned their position just like Klay and Steph did.

By the way I said "I know you were joke" in the previous post which was a typo, I corrected it to "joking" ... I wasn't calling you a joke, just in case you read it that way.
    The issue with nepotism is more than just accountability. Itís people getting jobs they didnít deserve because of their name or connections. People can brush over that cause it either turns out their competent or their not and the focus is always going to be the latter.

And no worries man I know what you were trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    The issue with nepotism is more than just accountability. Itís people getting jobs they didnít deserve because of their name or connections. People can brush over that cause it either turns out their competent or their not and the focus is always going to be the latter.

And no worries man I know what you were trying to say.
    Nobody "deserves" a job. Relationships are a major way people get jobs. My last 4 jobs all came from someone I knew telling their boss they knew someone (me) who would be good for the job opening in the company. That's normal. If I didn't do a good job I would have been let go and I wouldn't have a good enough rep to get the next job.

Every small business hires friends/family/family of friends/family of their employees wherever possible because it's a much better system to find employees because they come in with some stakes they have to live up to and the boss has a recommendation. Minorities are encouraged to do it even more. Companies hire head hunters so they can hire someone based on a recommendation of someone else ... hiring family and friends is the cheap version of calling a head hunting service.

The issue with nepotism isn't the toe in the door ... it's what comes next. Do they get a job they are NOT qualified in any way for, and do they get preferential treatment in their job.

Nobody "deserves" a job. Relationships are a major way people get jobs. My last 4 jobs all came from someone I knew telling their boss they knew someone (me) who would be good for the job opening in the company. That's normal. If I didn't do a good job I would have been let go and I wouldn't have a good enough rep to get the next job.

Every small business hires friends/family/family of friends/family of their employees wherever possible because it's a much better system to find employees because they come in with some stakes they have to live up to and the boss has a recommendation. Minorities are encouraged to do it even more. Companies hire head hunters so they can hire someone based on a recommendation of someone else ... hiring family and friends is the cheap version of calling a head hunting service.

The issue with nepotism isn't the toe in the door ... it's what comes next. Do they get a job they are NOT qualified in any way for, and do they get preferential treatment in their job.

Its hard to say because the warriors have been successful the last 5 years or so when kirk lacob has been involved. Usually when people in the front office lose their job is when a team is struggling and they want to go another direction. it looks good to the public when the ownership "shakes things up" showing they are not content with the recent levels of success.

It will be interesting to see if the warriors get bounced in the first round the next couple seasons and fans realize they are wasting the remaining years of steph currys career not contending for a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    Its hard to say because the warriors have been successful the last 5 years or so when kirk lacob has been involved. Usually when people in the front office lose their job is when a team is struggling and they want to go another direction. it looks good to the public when the ownership "shakes things up" showing they are not content with the recent levels of success.

It will be interesting to see if the warriors get bounced in the first round the next couple seasons and fans realize they are wasting the remaining years of steph currys career not contending for a championship.
    Do you actually think the team did a bad job roster building this off-season?

Do you actually think the team did a bad job roster building this off-season?
    I dont know how its all going to work. We will have to wait and see. I do know that they lost the best small forward in the game..... and now have a small forward location that is equivalent to an average D League team. (I am not sold klay can guard small forwards like lebron james, K Leonard and Giannis when he gets back)

If the warriors want a chance at contending- one of those small forwards is going to have to seriously surprise a lot of people.... and steph and draymond are gonna have to show up every night. It cant be like last season where the warriors would screw around for the first 2 quarters and then play quality ball for 5 or 6 minutes at some point in the second half and win the game with sheer talent. Their star players are gonna have to come to play and work for wins this yr. (I like what I saw against portland and game 6 against the rockets)

To answer your question though- I do honestly have concerns going into this season..... and I dont think its me being overly pessimistic as some posters seem to think. I really do think any objective viewer would have a atleast a few question marks on what level team the warriors will be.

I dont know how its all going to work. We will have to wait and see. I do know that they lost the best small forward in the game..... and now have a small forward location that is equivalent to an average D League team. (I am not sold klay can guard small forwards like lebron james, K Leonard and Giannis when he gets back)

If the warriors want a chance at contending- one of those small forwards is going to have to seriously surprise a lot of people.... and steph and draymond are gonna have to show up every night. It cant be like last season where the warriors would screw around for the first 2 quarters and then play quality ball for 5 or 6 minutes at some point in the second half and win the game with sheer talent. Their star players are gonna have to come to play and work for wins this yr. (I like what I saw against portland and game 6 against the rockets)

To answer your question though- I do honestly have concerns going into this season..... and I dont think its me being overly pessimistic as some posters seem to think. I really do think any objective viewer would have a atleast a few question marks on what level team the warriors will be.
    So, basically they didn't add a star SF ... but what they did was take the leaving star SF and instead of turning him into nothing instead turned him into an all-star guard.

Which SF was available for a veteran minimum contract, who wanted to be the one to replace KD on this team, and who you would be happy with, did they miss out on?

I think, based on the options available they did a hell of a job building the roster.

So, basically they didn't add a star SF ... but what they did was take the leaving star SF and instead of turning him into nothing instead turned him into an all-star guard.

Which SF was available for a veteran minimum contract, who wanted to be the one to replace KD on this team, and who you would be happy with, did they miss out on?

I think, based on the options available they did a hell of a job building the roster.
    I think the russell deal was a nice move.

Wilson Chandler comes to mind off the top of my head as an option at the 3. there might be a few more that are clear upgrades from what we have though.

I think the good GMS are able to get creative and find ways to get things done that arent blatantly obvious "options" .... so its hard to know for sure what they missed out on.

I think the russell deal was a nice move.

Wilson Chandler comes to mind off the top of my head as an option at the 3. there might be a few more that are clear upgrades from what we have though.

I think the good GMS are able to get creative and find ways to get things done that arent blatantly obvious "options" .... so its hard to know for sure what they missed out on.
    So ... you want Wilson Chandler, who changed teams twice and played only 50 games last year because of multiple injuries, and who is suspended for the first third of the season for PED use to replace KD ... and that would have made you happier?

I think the Russell deal was a good GM getting creative and finding a way to get things done. Myers literally turned nothing into a young all-star player.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast