Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Many if not most of the people working in entertainment are contract employees. All those people listed as the movie rolls credits lose their jobs (and contracts) once the film is over and hopefully move on to e new project.

Contract employees serve a purpose.
    Performers, directors, stuntmen are contract, camera operators, crew are hourly

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Wrestlers are employees of the wrestling companies... its a money grab.
    Wrestlers are exempt
    Creative Professional Exemption
    To qualify for the creative professional employee exemption, all of the following tests must be met:
    •The employee must be compensated on a salary or fee basis (as defined in the regulations) at a rate notless than $455* per week;
    •The employee’s primary duty must be the performance of work requiring invention, imagination,originality or talent in a recognized field of artistic or creative endeavor

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/fs17d_professional.pdf

Lyft, Uber, Door dash to put there resistance to it on the ballot, raise 90 million to fight the new law, that's the great thing about California, want a new law, put it on the ballot.

https://www.modbee.com/news/californ...234524702.html
    "He's getting the best job in baseball."

Bruce Bochy sent a clear message to whoever will be the Giants' next manager
    🙌
    https://bit.ly/2ndI9eG

Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    Lyft, Uber, Door dash to put there resistance to it on the ballot, raise 90 million to fight the new law, that's the great thing about California, want a new law, put it on the ballot.

https://www.modbee.com/news/californ...234524702.html
    And all the laws that pass are completely logical and never cause any problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    And all the laws that pass are completely logical and never cause any problems!
    It's the same story everywhere Scoots such as poor people in southern red states voting for governors who refuse to accept medicaid expansion thus taking health benefits away from the very people that voted for the sweet god loving governor. In Cali they seem to vote to give something to everyone hence their very high tax rates.

So this law passed, gig workers will now work shifts, report to work and be dispatched. I can see in the near future the employers not being allowed to have them use their own cars.
    Right now CA law I believe is a 4 hour minimum if you require someone to come to work. How would you like to own a car you bought to use an be told you can't use it.

This will end well, goodbye door dash, Lyft, Uber as we know it. I guess Amazon contract delivery is up next.

🙌

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    It's the same story everywhere Scoots such as poor people in southern red states voting for governors who refuse to accept medicaid expansion thus taking health benefits away from the very people that voted for the sweet god loving governor. In Cali they seem to vote to give something to everyone hence their very high tax rates.
    It's not the same, California's ballot initiative system is particularly dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    So this law passed, gig workers will now work shifts, report to work and be dispatched. I can see in the near future the employers not being allowed to have them use their own cars.
    Right now CA law I believe is a 4 hour minimum if you require someone to come to work. How would you like to own a car you bought to use an be told you can't use it.

This will end well, goodbye door dash, Lyft, Uber as we know it. I guess Amazon contract delivery is up next.
    Some company will try to fill the void, the question is will Californians be willing to be the much higher rates.

It's not the same, California's ballot initiative system is particularly dumb.
    Some of the initiatives take a Ph.D. to understand how to vote and what the bill really does.

"In 2018, for the 167 statewide measures on the ballot, the average ballot title or question was written at a level appropriate for those with between 19 and 20 years of U.S. formal education (graduate school-level of education), according to the FKGL formula. Read Ballotpedia's entire 2018 ballot language readability report here. During the 10-year period from 1997 to 2007, political scientists Shauna Reilly and Sean Richey found that average California ballot title score was equivalent to 13 years of U.S. formal education. "

https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...nd_(June_2018)

🙌

Some company will try to fill the void, the question is will Californians be willing to be the much higher rates.
    Lyft officially leaving California tonight, read Uber to follow unless reversal of court decision.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...d-15498447.php

🙌

Multibillion dollar firms (assuming Uber follows suit) unwilling to classify their drivers as employees. Now retaliating via a capital strike!

Private businesses exist to make as much of a profit as possible. If not, they'll be out-competed. The easiest way to maximize profit is to keep labor costs down. We've seen that manifest in many different (and varyingly cruel ways) in our country's history. Today it usually comes via advocating for garbage minimum wage laws and fighting virulently to keep unions out of workplaces. Uber and Lyft succeeded not so much because of their "innovative" technology, but because they flouted decades of labor laws and labeled their drivers as "independent contractors". It let them keep wages extremely low and kept them off the hook in regards to things like providing basic benefits. They faced almost no political resistance throughout their respective rises, in part because of the resources they've poured into lobbying and politically-connected lawyers. They flooded cities with cheap cars and cheap labor and ruined the taxi industry. They grew and thus kept hauling in investor money (even when they were bleeding money) which in turn let them keep prices extremely low. They grew into behemoths. Fast forward to today and so many people rely on them to earn money and make a living. They have so much money and political power that they basically can veto democratic will via this sort of retaliation.

When leftists talk about a class war, this is a great example of it. There is so much that needs to be done to correct this power imbalance. Unions are a big way to get there. Workers need more power and leverage. All of Uber and Lyft's power lies in the fact that it's enormous wealth is privately controlled. That's bad for everyone but those few who have it. Our workplaces aren't controlled by the workers. We all say we love Democracy, but we'd be damned if we actually saw it in the work place! The most just type of workplace is one where power is held by the workers themselves, and nothing juxtaposes that ideal more than these two companies.

That's my rant. My thoughts are with the drivers who are out of a job. And **** all the greedy ghouls at the top.

And we all know where everyone is going to stand on this.
    HELLO

OK, I've stayed away from this, but....drivers decide when and where to work, and the company takes their cut for providing them the business and processing payments, while the drivers provide the car they use. What part of that says NOT contract employee? If you want to argue the cut, that's one thing...but there's little about their connection to the company that screams employee.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    OK, I've stayed away from this, but....drivers decide when and where to work, and the company takes their cut for providing them the business and processing payments, while the drivers provide the car they use. What part of that says NOT contract employee? If you want to argue the cut, that's one thing...but there's little about their connection to the company that screams employee.
    How many other jobs do you need a 20k-60k tool to go to work, only contract workers do that.
    Employees don't provide equipment. Just get rid of the gig part and make them take transportation to a central workplace and check a car hour for their 4 or 8 hour shift. If they want full paid benefits then only full time employees.

🙌

"We care about our drivers"

"Make us employees"

"We don't care that much"

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    "We care about our drivers"

"Make us employees"

"We don't care that much"
    Such a total lack of understanding of labor law and liability law and what a contract employee is.
    Change the labor and liability laws completely or end up with:

We want to be paid like employees with benefits

We want to come and go when we want, work when we want, but of course CA labor law applies so if I work 2 hours I get my 4 hour minimum for showing up to work. Unlike every other employee in California I have no problem using my own 30k tools on the job and paying for my fuel.
    I want surge pricing so I can choose when to work and get paid more
    I want tips

I don't want to report to work and clock in, when I clock in on my phone I am working, I may choose not to take a ride but you still owe me for being on the clock. Some-days you will owe me 8 hours of work for me not driving anyone because there weren't any good rides for me.

We should have a union that will have a full apprentice program for training drivers and next one on the bench gets the next gig, I will report to the union hall and wait to get called for work.

If I keep my car at home and am getting in it for your work an I fall you owe me workers comp because the kid didn't clean the slippery leaves off the driveway making my house a hazardous workplace. I should be able to sue you for not making sure my driveway and parking spot are safe.

No way can you track where I am, its none of your business. Just call me an I will tell you where I am.

It will be a non issue in about 5 -7 years, lyft and uber will have driver less cars, no need for employees, tips, unions. Its not like this will be a long term gig you can do to always have money.
    Last edited by SfgiantsJD3; 08-20-2020 at 05:14 PM.

🙌

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast