Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Modesto
    Posts
    2,682

    Califonia bill to change gig employees to full time workers

    California lawmakers are working on legislation that would change the 'gig' economy by reclassifying independent contractors as workers in California. California Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez celebrated the passage of a bill on July 10, 2019. By Hannah Wiley

    Read more here
    https://www.modbee.com/news/californ...234448502.html

    Great for workers, fares would be changed which would be good.
    Next step make Lyft and Uber drivers buy medallions like taxis used to.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    103,371
    **** medallions.

    Then again I always had a problem with most taxi drivers because 1.****ers rarely stopped for me. 2. When I told them I wanted to go to the Bronx, they told me they don’t go there.

    Uber and Lyft has saved me this problem.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14,867
    Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    California lawmakers are working on legislation that would change the 'gig' economy by reclassifying independent contractors as workers in California. California Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez celebrated the passage of a bill on July 10, 2019. By Hannah Wiley

    Read more here
    https://www.modbee.com/news/californ...234448502.html

    Great for workers, fares would be changed which would be good.
    Next step make Lyft and Uber drivers buy medallions like taxis used to.
    See, this is why you guys **** everything up and can't be trusted with any sort of responsibility.

    Uber and Lyft come along and squash the taxi business (which has been an overpriced racket since forever) because well, taxis suck ***, and you want it to go back to the way it was.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Modesto
    Posts
    2,682
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    See, this is why you guys **** everything up and can't be trusted with any sort of responsibility.

    Uber and Lyft come along and squash the taxi business (which has been an overpriced racket since forever) because well, taxis suck ***, and you want it to go back to the way it was.
    I don't want it its the assembly and several 2020 Democrats running for president that think this should be changed.
    Me I can imagine the future with a driver-less Lyft with a driver who can't use the controls getting paid by the hour.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14,867
    You said next step make them buy medallions. You gotta be kidding me.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,355
    Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    I don't want it its the assembly and several 2020 Democrats running for president that think this should be changed.
    Me I can imagine the future with a driver-less Lyft with a driver who can't use the controls getting paid by the hour.
    Then the owner of the car will need to be paid for the cars time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Modesto
    Posts
    2,682
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    You said next step make them buy medallions. You gotta be kidding me.
    Well they want to make them employees which leads to more oversight.

    I am sure someone in government will see that the gig economy isn't funneling as much into the coffers so they will come up with a more regulated licensed and fee based system, maybe not medallions but some revenue generator for the privelge of being part of the economy

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "He's getting the best job in baseball."

    Bruce Bochy sent a clear message to whoever will be the Giants' next manager
    🙌
    https://bit.ly/2ndI9eG

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    **** medallions.

    Then again I always had a problem with most taxi drivers because 1.****ers rarely stopped for me. 2. When I told them I wanted to go to the Bronx, they told me they don’t go there.

    Uber and Lyft has saved me this problem.
    They still will because you put in your destination before they pick you up.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    94,018
    I'm split on this. Because I don't think people doing Uber or Lyft really fall under full time employees (even if they choose to do Uber 40 hours a week). But I know that this does affect other industries where I absolutely think that it should. As a wrestling fan, I believe this impacts WWE and how they do business. All of their wrestlers are classified as independent contractors and I think that's bull****. They are full time employees.
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,436
    I can't wait until employees want to get paid OT for answering emails or doing computer work on their own time. Surprised it hasn't happened already.

    As soon as Bernie or Warren's socialist policies get started, this will start to gain steam.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    94,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    I can't wait until employees want to get paid OT for answering emails or doing computer work on their own time. Surprised it hasn't happened already.

    As soon as Bernie or Warren's socialist policies get started, this will start to gain steam.
    If the business pressures them or rewards the behavior (carrot or stick), then they should be paid OT for working over time. Not doing so it called wage theft. If someone is an hourly worker, then they should get paid for the hours they work. That doesn't seem controversial to me.
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,436
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I'm split on this. Because I don't think people doing Uber or Lyft really fall under full time employees (even if they choose to do Uber 40 hours a week). But I know that this does affect other industries where I absolutely think that it should. As a wrestling fan, I believe this impacts WWE and how they do business. All of their wrestlers are classified as independent contractors and I think that's bull****. They are full time employees.
    Many if not most of the people working in entertainment are contract employees. All those people listed as the movie rolls credits lose their jobs (and contracts) once the film is over and hopefully move on to e new project.

    Contrsact employees serve a purpose.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Many if not most of the people working in entertainment are contract employees. All those people listed as the movie rolls credits lose their jobs (and contracts) once the film is over and hopefully move on to e new project.

    Contrsact employees serve a purpose.
    Wrestlers are employees of the wrestling companies... its a money grab.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,122
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    If the business pressures them or rewards the behavior (carrot or stick), then they should be paid OT for working over time. Not doing so it called wage theft. If someone is an hourly worker, then they should get paid for the hours they work. That doesn't seem controversial to me.
    Most people who have to answer email outside of work are likely exempt employees and thus OT is not applicable.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Modesto
    Posts
    2,682
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I'm split on this. Because I don't think people doing Uber or Lyft really fall under full time employees (even if they choose to do Uber 40 hours a week). But I know that this does affect other industries where I absolutely think that it should. As a wrestling fan, I believe this impacts WWE and how they do business. All of their wrestlers are classified as independent contractors and I think that's bull****. They are full time employees.
    What the department of labor has used as one of the benchmarks of if you are an hourly employee or a contract employee is who sets the schedule and hours your work. If the company tells you when to work, when to not work you are an employee.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •