Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    It's pretty funny in Europe where most soccer fans hate the commercialization of the sport (regardless of their actual political views) but still want their team to succeed, which necessitates commercialization, and teams also make more money the more successful they are, because TV revenue isn't shared equally among all teams like in the NFL. (Other revenue isn't shared at all.)

Due to serious mismanagement my hometown soccer team got regulated three times to borderline semi-pro level, and now play in a much smaller stadium, which the fans love as it has a much better atmosphere, but they also root for the team to succeed and get promoted to the top leagues again, which is basically against their self-interest, because they would then have to attend the hated larger stadium again, with the small one not certified for top league play, and the team is also too indebted to pay the top players required to maintain a higher level of play without rich investors.

So deep down what the fans really want is for the team to win a lot of games but never get promoted.
    My one (and likely only) soccer (futball/football) comment I’ll ever make:

I find the way prospects grow within an organization from a young age is interesting and is what “negates” sports scholarships (to some degree, not 100% up on European educational rules).

But if I read right that some of them get paid from a certain age, if they wanted to, they could use the money to attend university. Since we don’t allow that at all, using education as the motivation to push oneself in sports makes sense.

But I think for someone to say “without fans they would be working Walmart” is a little disingenuous. Would some of them not make a lot of many? Sure. But I think many would still get into a good enough college to walk out with a degree.

I just saw that Northwestern will be at Stanford on Saturday. It's the battle of the brains -- like an Ivy League game, but with more fans in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    But I think for someone to say “without fans they would be working Walmart” is a little disingenuous. Would some of them not make a lot of many? Sure. But I think many would still get into a good enough college to walk out with a degree.
    There was a bigger point to my comment which i guess went over ur head. I don't care about luck or where he would or would not work. It was more so about people just ripping into fans (BTW the OP said why are fans dumb, so that would mean all of us also. you, me and everyone. Didn't say "why are the colts fans that are booing luck dumb"). It's just annoying when you see players and talking heads bash fans. we are the only reason any of them have jobs in sports.

I understand Luck is a smart guy and he would prob be ok. But if we wanna call fans dumb, lets take a moment and all think about some of the interviews and conversations we've seen from different players over the years... omg.
    Last edited by prodigy; 08-30-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123