• PHX

6 66.67%
  • SAS

1 11.11%
  • GMs here

2 22.22%

PSD's Mock Offseason RD1: SAS @ PHX

THIS IS NOT REAL

This is the culmination of a group of users on PSD playing out an entire NBA offseason. Please look at each team and determine who would win in a SEVEN game series. DO NOT VOTE ON TEAM FANDOM LINES. Only vote on which team would win the series. GMs are likely not even fans of that franchise and have just been playing for fun.

Votes are only legal from vouched users or users with 100+ posts

SAS
    PG: Eric Bledsoe/Aaron Holiday/Elie Okobo
    SG: Etwaun Moore/Pat Connaughton/Hamdiou Diallo
    SF: Nicolas Batum/Josh Okogie
    PF: Lamarcus Aldridge/Noah Vonleh
    C: Nikola Vucevic/Jakob Poeltl

@

PHX
    Chris Paul/D.J. Augustin/
    Devin Booker/Luke Kennard/Jonathan Simmons
    Harrison Barnes/Kyle Anderson/James Ennis III
    Jerami Grant/Mike Scott
    Steven Adams/Richaun Holmes
    Rand University

Rocky Top youíll always be
    Home sweet home to me
    Good olí Rocky Top
    Rocky Top Tennessee

Front court -SAS

Back court -Phx

A couple of notes:

Vucevic absolutely shrunk in the playoffs this year, 11 ppg on a brutal 43% TS. Bledsoe has shrunk the past two playoffs, sporting a TS of 49% on 13 ppg this year in the playoffs, and I think we all remember what Rozier did to him the year before, and Rozier is no CP3.

With two of San Antonio's three star players' production and efficiency out the window, that's a huge blow, and forces Aldridge to more or less try and beat the Suns by himself. While posting solid numbers the past two playoffs, Aldridge and the Spurs have gotten booted in the first round both times, so to think that he can superman his way to a series win here doesn't seem super realistic.

Another big issue with the Spurs is their lack of shooting. Sure, Moore and Batum were solid from three this past year, but that's about it. They don't have a single high quality, consistent threat from three they can rely upon outside of those two. Meanwhile, the Suns have five 40% three point shooters in DJ Augustin, Luke Kennard, Harrison Barnes, Jarami Grant, and Mike Scott, all shooting at least 3.7 attempts per game, so the volume is there as well. The combination of having multiple starters and 3 key bench players shooting around 40% from three means Phoenix can have quality spacing on the floor at all times.

Finally, perhaps the most glaring issue with San Antonio is their bench. They lack a single quality bench player that can be relied upon to give them actual production. I could go through each individual bench player if need be, but a quick scan over the names and this should be immediately apparent to most people. Phoenix bench has two players who started and shined in this years playoffs in DJ Augustin and Luke Kennard, who averaged 15 ppg on 60% from three against Milwaukee. Kyle Anderson provides a fourth quality ball handler, who's high IQ playmaking and quality perimeter defense will provide more fluidity to the offense and defense. Mike Scott also had some big moments for Philly off their bench this year, including hitting a clutch game winner against Brooklyn in the playoffs. Finally, Richaun Holmes is there to provide fresh legs and pure energy, while also sporting an above average Opp Rim FG% of 57%, so the rim protection doesn't wither away when Steven Adams leaves the court.

I actually really like some aspects of San Antonio's roster, and think KJ should be applauded for putting together a solid team. I just think upon closer inspection they have too many holes to advance against the Suns.

If you want to talk about shrink in the playoffs, Chris Paul, Devin Booker, Steve Adams and Harrison Barnes donít have the best record when it matters.... itís a good matchup, Iíll wait for a debate before voting.

Quote Originally Posted by GREATNESS ONE View Post
    If you want to talk about shrink in the playoffs, Chris Paul, Devin Booker, Steve Adams and Harrison Barnes donít have the best record when it matters.... itís a good matchup, Iíll wait for a debate before voting.
    Over the past three years CP3 has averaged 20/6.5/6 and 2 steals per game on 57% TS. Where is the issue in those numbers? Harrison Barnes played 30+ mpg every single night on a team that won a championship, this was his third season in the league. And I think it's reasonable to say that he's improved since then, right? Steven Adams averaged essentially what Vucevic averaged in the playoffs this year, except on super high efficiency and played great defense. I'll take it. The Devin Booker point is fair, since we haven't seen what he's capable of, but the bar isn't set super high if we're comparing against Vucevic and Bledoe's offensive output. I'm sure he could average at least 13 ppg on better efficiency than either of those two.

This is a close matchup but hard to vote for KJ, when he hasn't even attempted to defend his own team..

Quote Originally Posted by GREATNESS ONE View Post
    This is a close matchup but hard to vote for KJ, when he hasn't even attempted to defend his own team..
    This. Im hoping to see what KJ will say, but if he doesnt Ill likely vote Suns
    Rand University

Rocky Top youíll always be
    Home sweet home to me
    Good olí Rocky Top
    Rocky Top Tennessee

Suns

No debate from KJ and the poll is about to close, my vote to the Suns.