Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

SF Bans cashless B&M stores

Brick and Mortar stores in SF have to take cash

As of Friday, it is officially illegal for brick-and-mortar stores in San Francisco to ban cash payments.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...h-14373909.php

Its discriminatory.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Its discriminatory.
    Classist, if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Every store should be required to take cash if they have a physical presence, plain and simple.
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

I wouldn't use a store that doesn't take cash, but I can see the easy appeal of it, they can save more money by not accepting cash than the charges from the credit card companies and banks. I don't agree with the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I wouldn't use a store that doesn't take cash, but I can see the easy appeal of it, they can save more money by not accepting cash than the charges from the credit card companies and banks. I don't agree with the law.
    I use my cash back credit card for almost everything, it just adds up over a year. I pay the bill off every month so no interest.
    When I travel I use cash for tips
    Last edited by SfgiantsJD3; 08-26-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Can we at least get rid of coins? Coins suck. Coinage is the first reason why I carry no cash.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    How so?

I think if you're in the US you should have to accept US currency. Otherwise, what is the point of having US currency if nobody in the US need accept it?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    How so?

I think if you're in the US you should have to accept US currency. Otherwise, what is the point of having US currency if nobody in the US need accept it?
    Some of the "modern" stores in SF were going away from cash as a convenience item. It could also be safer for an employee, nothing to take.

I had a salesman and we were on the East Coast 20 years ago, we went to Gettysburg on the weekend and in the gift shop he asked the cashier if they took federal reserve notes, they didn't take federal reserve notes, they only took cash or credit cards.

Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    Some of the "modern" stores in SF were going away from cash as a convenience item. It could also be safer for an employee, nothing to take.

I had a salesman and we were on the East Coast 20 years ago, we went to Gettysburg on the weekend and in the gift shop he asked the cashier if they took federal reserve notes, they didn't take federal reserve notes, they only took cash or credit cards.
    That I understand. But I don't see how accepting cash would be more expensive than credit cards, for which the business is charged for each transaction. And I am genuinely ignorant of how that would be possible, so any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

That I understand. But I don't see how accepting cash would be more expensive than credit cards, for which the business is charged for each transaction. And I am genuinely ignorant of how that would be possible, so any explanation would be greatly appreciated.
    The Amazon store was set up without a cashier, most retailers factor the cost for credit into the price regardless of payment method so at Amazon, it recognizes you by the app, you pick up stuff and walk out, you are charged, no cashier to pay to stand around, no risk insurance for loss of cash, no background checks, no insurance to protect them from being a victim in a crime. No possibility of them misunderstanding SF rules that let thieves walk out with up to $950 without stopping them or calling the police.
    I guess you would call this undocumented acquisition of goods so we don't denigrate them by calling them thieves.

From Amazons standpoint if you pay $35 for an item with prime and free shipping and you walk in the store and pay $35 and there is no delivery to the customer, no boxing, less impact on the environment because someone in SF is most likely using feet, bike or mass transit.

It definitely costs them less to not have a cashier. They may have Customer service people that anwer questions and place orders on a tablet but that's a different cost center.

Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    The Amazon store was set up without a cashier, most retailers factor the cost for credit into the price regardless of payment method so at Amazon, it recognizes you by the app, you pick up stuff and walk out, you are charged, no cashier to pay to stand around, no risk insurance for loss of cash, no background checks, no insurance to protect them from being a victim in a crime. No possibility of them misunderstanding SF rules that let thieves walk out with up to $950 without stopping them or calling the police.
    I guess you would call this undocumented acquisition of goods so we don't denigrate them by calling them thieves.

From Amazons standpoint if you pay $35 for an item with prime and free shipping and you walk in the store and pay $35 and there is no delivery to the customer, no boxing, less impact on the environment because someone in SF is most likely using feet, bike or mass transit.

It definitely costs them less to not have a cashier. They may have Customer service people that anwer questions and place orders on a tablet but that's a different cost center.
    I understand now. I was thinking of a cashier in each scenario, but one that only accepts credit and one that accepts cash and credit. Yeah, eliminating cashiers would save money.

How so?

There are business banking accounts that are cheaper if they don't have to deal with cash. There is the time and possible security expense on cash deposits. Insurance is cheaper if there is no cash on-site. Counterfeit bills are a non-issue if you don't accept them. Cash errors at registers are more likely to be in the customer's favor. There is not going to be any skimming if there is no cash to skim.

I agree that brick and mortar businesses should accept it, but are you going to require on-line businesses to accept cash?

I understand now. I was thinking of a cashier in each scenario, but one that only accepts credit and one that accepts cash and credit. Yeah, eliminating cashiers would save money.
    I think that's a different thing, but yeah, automating check out would reduce the cost even more.