Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    It was a cutter, it had sharp movement towards the left handed batters box. He hit that I think twice during that last AB. Muncy was talking about it after the game that it had a ton of movement and looked like Jansens old self.

But yeah, it was surprising because he hasn’t touched that in years.
    Jansen should learn to throw a two-seamer to complement the cutter. That pitch moves toward the right-handed batters box.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Jansen should learn to throw a two-seamer to complement the cutter. That pitch moves toward the right-handed batters box.
    Yeah that’s part of the reason I like Dustin May so much. May has got an insane 2 seamer that bites hard towards right handers. He’s also got a cutter that sits about 91-92 mph but the two pitches look the same coming out it’s just one breaks one way at the last second and the other breaks the opposite direction. Combine that with a filthy curve and he’s got a crazy combination of pitches. I think for him though, he’s gotta learn to control it a little better, especially that 2 seamer because the run on that thing is ridiculous. Check out this pitch overlay, wow..

https://twitter.com/LanceBroz/status...273328640?s=20

Your baby can't do this

It was a cutter, it had sharp movement towards the left handed batters box. He hit that I think twice during that last AB. Muncy was talking about it after the game that it had a ton of movement and looked like Jansens old self.

But yeah, it was surprising because he hasn’t touched that in years.
    I think last year around this time he actually increased in velocity a little bit. It doesn't really make too much sense that his velocity would just go away from one year to the next, especially since he hasn't had any major injuries and is still pretty young. I think he probably just has a dead arm from the 2017 season, because on occasion he will show remnants of his old velocity. I think using Jansen less and and maybe having 1-2 other guys close in addition to Janesn (e.g., Kelly and Urias) would eventually lead to an uptick in his velocity. Basically, just giving Jansen a lot more rest might do the trick if it is a dead arm (which I think is likely what it is).

Yeah that’s part of the reason I like Dustin May so much. May has got an insane 2 seamer that bites hard towards right handers. He’s also got a cutter that sits about 91-92 mph but the two pitches look the same coming out it’s just one breaks one way at the last second and the other breaks the opposite direction. Combine that with a filthy curve and he’s got a crazy combination of pitches. I think for him though, he’s gotta learn to control it a little better, especially that 2 seamer because the run on that thing is ridiculous. Check out this pitch overlay, wow..

https://twitter.com/LanceBroz/status...273328640?s=20
    It's all about the delivery. Guys who have great control have basically mastered that where it's highly consistent. Early in the year, Buehler was struggling with his control because his delivery was off and once he got it worked out he was dominant again. I think that's what may needs to work on, just getting his delivery to be consistent. Ryu was rushing his delivery on Friday and he got rocked. I think with younger pitchers that's usually the part that they struggle with because it takes time to really develop a consistent delivery to the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Yep, that would likely help for sure. If he's going to continue to be a viable option as a closer I think he needs to develop at least one other pitch that he can be effective with consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    I think last year around this time he actually increased in velocity a little bit. It doesn't really make too much sense that his velocity would just go away from one year to the next, especially since he hasn't had any major injuries and is still pretty young. I think he probably just has a dead arm from the 2017 season, because on occasion he will show remnants of his old velocity. I think using Jansen less and and maybe having 1-2 other guys close in addition to Janesn (e.g., Kelly and Urias) would eventually lead to an uptick in his velocity. Basically, just giving Jansen a lot more rest might do the trick if it is a dead arm (which I think is likely what it is).
    I agree. It’s probably a dead arm, Dave has overworked him a lot especially in the post season. Extra rest will probably do him some good and this team has been giving it to him.

Your baby can't do this

New York Yankees @ Los Angeles Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    It's all about the delivery. Guys who have great control have basically mastered that where it's highly consistent. Early in the year, Buehler was struggling with his control because his delivery was off and once he got it worked out he was dominant again. I think that's what may needs to work on, just getting his delivery to be consistent. Ryu was rushing his delivery on Friday and he got rocked. I think with younger pitchers that's usually the part that they struggle with because it takes time to really develop a consistent delivery to the plate.
    Thing is May’s velocity wasn’t even that high till a year or two ago. He supposedly just woke up one day and all of a sudden he’s hitting 97-98 on the gun when he’s mainly been hitting 93-94 up until that point. Because he all of a sudden got this extra velocity the run to his two seamer is probably more than what he’s used to. It’ll take some time to learn to control it, but he’ll get there. Control is usually what the young kids have to work on.
    Last edited by jaydubb; 08-25-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Your baby can't do this

A heavy 4-seamer with a really good 2-seamer can be a devastating mix for hitters

I had a teammate in SDABL (RHP) who was drafted by the Pirates out of HS, blew out his elbow, and joined the marines.

He generally had a good inning in him, maybe a little more, before he’d feel arm fatigue so we deployed him mostly like a closer.

He had a pitch mix that was no friggin joke and still threw in the lower-mid 90’s.

I’ll never forget taking BP against him when he first trying out with us. He set me up with a couple of 4 seamers low and away while I was getting his timing down.

Here’s how my mind processed the at-bat...

First Pitch; ball one. “Ok, that was hot. Let’s see what else he’s got.”

1-0; strike one. “Yeah, I’m gonna have to start a little early if I want to hit that. Probably going to get it again 1-1.”

1-1; Start early, cheating a little on the location with a slight lean... “oh, wait that’s coming in, I can shorten up”... “oh **** that has an arm-side break” (lifts arms so it doesn’t break my elbow, pops me right on the left nipple), completely out of breath: “holy **** that was nasty!”

I’d been hit plenty of times before, but never by misjudging a pitch so badly. That ball could’ve broke my ribs the break was so nasty, instead it left seem imprints and a basketball sized bruise on my chest for weeks (seriously).

Obviously we weren’t professionals and I was HBP, but I could only imagine the frustration our opponents felt when he was in.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    A heavy 4-seamer with a really good 2-seamer can be a devastating mix for hitters

I had a teammate in SDABL (RHP) who was drafted by the Pirates out of HS, blew out his elbow, and joined the marines.

He generally had a good inning in him, maybe a little more, before he’d feel arm fatigue so we deployed him mostly like a closer.

He had a pitch mix that was no friggin joke and still threw in the lower-mid 90’s.

I’ll never forget taking BP against him when he first trying out with us. He set me up with a couple of 4 seamers low and away while I was getting his timing down.

1-0; strike one. “Yeah, I’m gonna have to start a little early if I want to hit that. Probably going to get it again 1-1.”

1-1; Start early, cheating a little on the location with a slight lean... “oh, wait that’s coming in, I can shorten up”... “oh **** that has an arm-side break” (lifts arms so it doesn’t break my elbow, pops me right on the left nipple), completely out of breath: “holy **** that was nasty!”

I’d been hit plenty of times before, but never by misjudging a pitch so badly. That ball could’ve broke my ribs the break was so nasty, instead it left seem imprints and a basketball sized bruise on my chest for weeks (seriously).

Obviously we weren’t professionals and I was HBP, but I could only imagine the frustration our opponents felt when he was in.
    From what I understand, Jerry Reuss would throw 95% fastballs which were a mixed bag of cutters, four-seamers, and two-seamers. And he had the lowest ERA in the NL between 1980 and 1985.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post

That’s probably why kenley has been throwing more 4seamers lately. I think earlier in his career when he regularly threw that cutter over 94+ mph, he didn’t need a lot of other pitches because the pitch was so nasty that literally nobody could hit it. Now that the cutter velocity has died down a little bit, he’s gotta add some other things in there to fool his opponents. He actually threw a changeup the other day too which he rarely ever throws.

Your baby can't do this

Jansen's cutter was hitting a 100 back in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by DigglinDickers View Post
    Jansen's cutter was hitting a 100 back in 2014.
    Yeah I saw that on fangraphs but I don’t remember it to be honest. I do remember he’d occasionally get into the high 90s though. Either way, that’s unhittable as it gets..lol

Your baby can't do this

Did Kerhsaw give up a homer to leadoff the game on his last start?

Wish it was more active, c’mon guys, who else is watching this game?

I have to shadowbox every time Seager swings at the first pitch.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast