Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: How many do the good guys win?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sweep? - #BDizzle4Bae

    0 0%
  • Sweep - #BDizzle4Boo

    0 0%
  • Sweep - #BDizzle4Beau

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 588
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    24,660
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownPacerFan View Post
    I'm not going to rehash the argument. I see flaws in any statistical interpretation. Whether we look at ranges, or specific numbers, it doesn't matter. There are way too many other variables.

    Today is the perfect example. We scored three runs. Statistically, that's a slightly below average day. In reality, our offense was absolute embarrassing trash today. The stats lie.

    All I know is that I've watched a lot of baseball in my life, and this team goes through more offensive ups and downs than most. That's what's happening on the field whether you choose to see it or not.
    Ah, the classic ďIíve watched a lot of baseballĒ argument. Tried and true!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,442
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    On Tuesday the Dodgers scored 16 runs
    Wednesday they scored 2
    Yesterday they scored 3.

    Even the Astros, who have one of the best offenses in the game, scored only 1 run against the worst team in baseball (tigers) two days ago. Youíre not always going to blow teams out that you should, and sometimes you blow teams/starters out, that on paper, you probably shouldnít.

    I know this discussion is ďbig pictureĒ but I had to throw that in there.

    Iím sure every fan of every team gets mad when their team scores 2-3 runs late in a game they are getting blown out in. Itís frustrating when that happens sure. You ask yourself, ďwhy couldnít we hit anything the first 7-8 innings?Ē All I can say is thatís just how it is sometimes. Itís baseball.

    I try not to let myself get too caught up in that stuff, because it will only drive you crazy trying to rap your head around it.
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post

    Some of you guys are stat freaks. I say that in a way that you really understand and trust them and use them in a way to reflect what others see or think they see. Some of you are more of an old fashion, trust my eyes kinda person. I donít think thereís anything wrong with either. The problem is trying to have a discussion with somebody that leans extremely one way, when you lean extremely the other. Thereís really no middle ground to come too. The discussions will go on & on and you canít come together any where. I donít think thereís anything wrong in leaning either way, but I will say, itís hard to back up your argument with no stats against a guy that is throwing stats at you that say youíre wrong.
    I donít agree that these two things are equal, if thatís what you are saying. Itís totally cool to enjoy the game however you want to, but an informed opinion is more valuable than an uninformed opinion. Statistics are facts. They can be misused, but if you just look as a stat as what it is - an answer to a specific question - then it gives you knowledge. Facts are better than a hypothesis. That doesnít mean everyone has to be super into stats. Enjoy the game however you enjoy it. You just canít be as informed without understanding metrics and knowing how to find answers with data.

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    24,660
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I'm looking forward to September with this offense..

    I really think once Contreras returns and Zobrist gets in there again, the offense gonna be more consistent in a good way.


    Right now, they're not getting much help from the Catcher and 2B spots in the lineup..
    Contreras will help a ton. He was arguably our best hitter this year before he went down.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    I wouldn't expect much from Zobrist.
    I'm not, just thinking or hoping he can provide a little something more then what they're getting from 2B spot now..

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,571
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Agreed.


    I donít agree that these two things are equal, if thatís what you are saying. Itís totally cool to enjoy the game however you want to, but an informed opinion is more valuable than an uninformed opinion. Statistics are facts. They can be misused, but if you just look as a stat as what it is - an answer to a specific question - then it gives you knowledge. Facts are better than a hypothesis. That doesnít mean everyone has to be super into stats. Enjoy the game however you enjoy it. You just canít be as informed without understanding metrics and knowing how to find answers with data.
    Yeah, I didnít really mean they were equal. I was trying to say exactly what you did say, maybe it came out the wrong way. I meant thereís nothing wrong if you want to be a trust my eye guy, but you canít have a legit discussion with someone that disagrees with you AND has stats to back their point up.

    You can enjoy the game any way you want, but itís not possible to discuss it based on your eyes rather than factual stats. I like to take what I see with my eyes & match it to the stats to see if they agree. I will never sit here and make an assumption based on my eyes and argue with somebody that has the actual stats that say Iím wrong.

    When I started getting into stats and saber-metrics and was still trying to get on board with it all, I asked myself this: Can you watch a guy play 162 games and try to guess their batting average? We all know that would be impossible. You might watch a guy get a ton of big clutch hits and your first instinct at the end of the season would be that that guy has to be a .300 or better hitter when heís really a .240 hitter with a flare for the dramatic. Maybe itís a dumb way of looking at it when trying to get on board, but itís really what helped me. Our eyes can be deceiving. That goes for every aspect of the game. Accepting that made me want to learn more and more. Maybe itís not for everybody, which is fine, but I feel it really opened up a whole dynamic to the game that I was oblivious to.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,442
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Yeah, I didnít really mean they were equal. I was trying to say exactly what you did say, maybe it came out the wrong way. I meant thereís nothing wrong if you want to be a trust my eye guy, but you canít have a legit discussion with someone that disagrees with you AND has stats to back their point up.

    You can enjoy the game any way you want, but itís not possible to discuss it based on your eyes rather than factual stats. I like to take what I see with my eyes & match it to the stats to see if they agree. I will never sit here and make an assumption based on my eyes and argue with somebody that has the actual stats that say Iím wrong.

    When I started getting into stats and saber-metrics and was still trying to get on board with it all, I asked myself this: Can you watch a guy play 162 games and try to guess their batting average? We all know that would be impossible. You might watch a guy get a ton of big clutch hits and your first instinct at the end of the season would be that that guy has to be a .300 or better hitter when heís really a .240 hitter with a flare for the dramatic. Maybe itís a dumb way of looking at it when trying to get on board, but itís really what helped me. Our eyes can be deceiving. That goes for every aspect of the game. Accepting that made me want to learn more and more. Maybe itís not for everybody, which is fine, but I feel it really opened up a whole dynamic to the game that I was oblivious to.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed, and I donít think thatís a dumb way of looking at it at all.

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    I might even say 6th. I think I would take Chatwood over Lester at the moment.
    IIRC, Chatwoods last appearance consisted of facing three batters resulting in a walk and 2 hits. Not exactly overwhelming.

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    44,188
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownPacerFan View Post
    I get it. Statistically, they haven't "famined" significantly more than the average team. This is where I don't trust the stats.

    If we really wanted to be scientific about this, we'd need a better operational definition of "famine". You can score 4 runs on three hits, and that's a famine game, to me. You can be down 10-1 in the eighth, and lose 11-5, and that's a famine game. You can have one big inning because the defense makes multiple errors, etc.

    Our bats disappear a lot. Our offense looks unwatchable a lot. We also look elite a lot. I just don't see other good teams looking as Jeckyl and Hyde as us. That's all.
    Probably because you don't watch any other team as much as you do the Cubs

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    37,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    IIRC, Chatwoods last appearance consisted of facing three batters resulting in a walk and 2 hits. Not exactly overwhelming.
    He pitched a scoreless inning today. And other than that appearance a few nights ago, he has been pretty good the last few months. I never stated he was dominant. Just that he has been better than Lester as of late, which he has.

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    He pitched a scoreless inning today. And other than that appearance a few nights ago, he has been pretty good the last few months. I never stated he was dominant. Just that he has been better than Lester as of late, which he has.
    Chatwood had certainly exceeded my expectations for this season; those expectations weren't that high I must admit, but he has exceeded them none-the-less.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,927
    How did nationals end up with a better record than cubs I thought they were terrible earlier lol

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    21,455

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  13. #148
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54,324
    Ugh. Can this weekend be over? They look dreadful on the field and I can barely tell who's playing (both because the uniforms are illegible and because I don't know their "nicknames").

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBenhotness View Post
    How did nationals end up with a better record than cubs I thought they were terrible earlier lol
    They went off the last couple months going like 25 over 500 while the cubs been playing 500 ball..

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Has Russell started a game since Bote gone down?

    I thought for sure he'd get the bulk of PT over Kemp at 2B..

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •