Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should Zion lose weight in order to be explosive?

Zion is what 6'7 at 272 or is he 280? Either way in my opinion Zion should lose weight especially if he wants to have a long NBA career but also his weight will be what holds him back especially during games where he'll be explosive but then get tired easily. If he loses like 25 to 30 pounds he will be like LeBron weight which in my opinion would be all right. People are saying he'll be a bust because of his weight issues but also because they don't believe his game will transition to pro level. I have my doubts about Zion now but if he gets like physical trainers and takes care of himself good then he'll be fine.

He is explosive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    He is explosive

For how long? He's too heavy and playing with grown men could cause him some injuries so yes he better start being in better shape or his career might not last long.

Zion did not participate in the combine, so there are no concrete measurements on him that I trust. At one point, he was measured at 6'7" 285lb, but that's not consistently measured like the combine is, and without things like body fat %, wingspan, and standing reach it's hard to guess if he's a freak of nature or he's fat.

Morant and Barrett also skipped measurements, tbf. That is a little concerning if their respective camps felt that getting measured would hurt their stock.

Yeah if he goes about taking care of himself body wise like LeBron does as far as spending money on trainers and going on diets and what not then Zion will be just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Iron24th View Post
    For how long? He's too heavy and playing with grown men could cause him some injuries so yes he better start being in better shape or his career might not last long.
    I forgot about the “grown men”

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Obviously, he blew out a shoe already. I put him in that pudgy category with Melo and Cousins, just never getting that baby fat off their frame.

But he's 19 and already explosive, probably awhile before the weight is an issue.

The answer is yes. He is too heavy with excess fat. Being fat and explosive aren't mutually exclusive as he is fat and explosive currently. Lose 30 lbs and he will likely be more explosive in terms of jumping and quick lateral movement and be less prone to force induced injuries. Also a red flag that he seems to have gained weight between college season and NBA rookie ball. If he is already having weight issues at 20 that doesnt bode well for a guy when he gets in his late 20s to early 30s. Perhaps he will follow the Charles Barkley path of shedding weight as his career progresses. The Round Mound of Rebound was less rotund in Phoenix than he was in his early years in Philly.

He should reduce mass as much as possible while maintaining muscle and flexibilty because it will lengthen his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    He should reduce mass as much as possible while maintaining muscle and flexibilty because it will lengthen his career.
    Basically what I tried to say...great minds

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I forgot about the “grown men”

You forget about a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Zion did not participate in the combine, so there are no concrete measurements on him that I trust. At one point, he was measured at 6'7" 285lb, but that's not consistently measured like the combine is, and without things like body fat %, wingspan, and standing reach it's hard to guess if he's a freak of nature or he's fat.

Morant and Barrett also skipped measurements, tbf. That is a little concerning if their respective camps felt that getting measured would hurt their stock.
    For top players only bad can come of it. Think if Zion was listed at 6'7" all year and came in at 6'6" and 12% body fat. What if Morant came in at closer to 6'1" as opposed to 6'3" he's been listed at. At least without going to the combine, they get into there, and the team/player can be protected some.

For Zion that body fat % number is a huge part of his future IMO. Is he just naturally beefy and low BMI? Or is he not and high BMI and a risk of eating himself out of the league?

13. 08-24-2019, 05:35 PM
    Reason
    insults or quoted insults

14. 08-24-2019, 10:35 PM
    Reason

15. 08-25-2019, 05:44 PM
    Reason

dude is already one of the more explosive players in the league. hes a kid, he will lose some of the baby weight naturally not to mention he will now be on a pro training regimen and diet. baseless assumption by the OP.

17. 08-26-2019, 09:59 AM
    Reason

Zion should be a good finisher and have nice highlights for the first 5-years of his career. His weight is fine, he's naturally like that, I don't think he can slim down 30lbs. Having said that Zion has a clear ceiling in the NBA, his lack of length should make his career about the same as Larry Johnson's. You have to remember, when Zion drives the lane his head is going to be at the chest-level of NBA bigs, you can't dunk over 7-foot giants for 10 years, it's just not going to happen.

19. 09-01-2019, 10:38 PM
    Reason

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Zion is what 6'7 at 272 or is he 280? Either way in my opinion Zion should lose weight especially if he wants to have a long NBA career but also his weight will be what holds him back especially during games where he'll be explosive but then get tired easily. If he loses like 25 to 30 pounds he will be like LeBron weight which in my opinion would be all right. People are saying he'll be a bust because of his weight issues but also because they don't believe his game will transition to pro level. I have my doubts about Zion now but if he gets like physical trainers and takes care of himself good then he'll be fine.
    I imagine if he cares enough about being as good as he can he will get lighter simply through nutrition, and the routine of being a high minute NBA player.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast