Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

When LeBron retires, who will be the next face of the NBA?

When LeBron retires, it is safe to say the NBA won't be the same without LeBron but when he does call it a career, who will be the next transcendent face of the NBA? Who will be the next GOAT?

The media is trying hard to make that Zion Williamson.

This question has been posed in this thread in the past, but it's a good discussion topic, especially with Lebron already feeling a little less relevant than he did a year ago.

I can't remember my response the last time around, but my response today is that I don't think there will be a singular face of the league. There are so many talented players at various points in their careers that I don't think one guy is going to stand out of the pack as the unquestioned best. Also, some of the guys at the top of the league aren't necessarily huge brands yet and may never be.

As talented as they are, I just don't see guys like Giannis, Davis or Kawhi every being household names or brands that transcend the sport of basketball in the same way that Lebron is. And most of the rest of the guys at the top of league's talent pool (Curry, Durant, Harden, etc.) are already so far into their careers, it's hard to envision them still being this elite in 3-4 years from now.

This next period of basketball seems to mirror the period in between Jordan's and Lebron's eras in the late 90s/early 2000s. You had a lot of talented guys who were popular for various reasons (Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, AI), but there wasn't really one face of the league. You could make an argument that maybe Kobe and Shaq stole the spotlight combined in that era, but neither guy ever really reached Lebron's point as both the unquestioned best player in the league AND the league's unquestioned most recognizable player/brand.

The GOAT retired in 1999 and people have been wondering the same thing ever since

Quote Originally Posted by bledrules View Post
    The GOAT retired in 1999 and people have been wondering the same thing ever since
    If people have been wondering who the face of the NBA has been for the last 15 years, then those people are idiots.

The problem with figuring out who the next face of the NBA is is that the rest of the league has caught up with LeBron. LeBron was a freak athlete when he came in. No one had that size/speed/power combination. Now everyone is 6'9" and built. Who's game can transcend the way basketball is played on the court? Who has the personality off the court?

Steph is still the biggest superstar not named LeBron, and it's not close. How many elite years does he have left?
    Last edited by Driven; 08-21-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Zion has that potential

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    If people have been wondering who the face of the NBA has been for the last 15 years, then those people are idiots.

The problem with figuring out who the next face of the NBA is is that the rest of the league has caught up with LeBron. LeBron was a freak athlete when he came in. No one had that size/speed/power combination. Now everyone is 6'9" and built. Who's game can transcend the way basketball is played on the court? Who has the personality off the court?

Steph is still the biggest superstar not named LeBron, and it's not close. How many elite years does he have left?
    whose*
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

Steph is the closest thing to Bron in terms of popularity and then there's Harden or Giannis

A player

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    A player TBN
    fyp

Kp

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Vince Carter? 😂

Kawhi
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Maybe we should for someone to have at least 5k points before we make them the face of the NBA

Lebron also does so much outside of basketball that helped him become a household name even in households that don't watch basketball. Someone will not only have to be dominate on the court and business savvy to build a massive brand. but also off the court. That means more then just basketball camps.

Giannis I think has the best potential right now. Young, dominate, already does quite a bit off the court. But it may be a group effort to replace Lebrons shoes.
    Last edited by prodigy; 08-22-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast