Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What will your boy deliver?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sweep? - #BDizzle4Prez

1 20.00%
  • Sweep - #BDizzle4Life

3 60.00%
  • Sweep - #BDizzle4Mod

3 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    What? You literally said "FG offense: 5th" and are upset that I claimed he is a perennial top 5 hitter? Also, the difference between the 15th person and the 5th person in wOBA is less than 15 points.

He's also ranked:
    8th in wOBA in 2016
    10th in wOBA in 2017
    Injured last year
    15th this year

He was 6th in FG offensive value in 2017 and 2nd in 2016.

Like, he's a perennial top 5 guy in baseball. It does NOT mean that at this moment in time he is a top 5 hitter. But he is right in that group of guys. And the difference between him and them is very minimal. There's always a guy or two that runs away from the crowd every year, but he's generally very close.

So how's this for a compromise: He is DEFINITELY a perennial top 10 hitter in all of baseball. He's more than capable of putting himself in the top 5 discussion.

Dude is awesome. We are lucky to have someone that is so clearly a future first ballot HOF. And is DEFINITELY a perennial top 5 player. That feels somewhat inarguable to me.
    Sounds good to me!

I just cherry picked some stats that are used on here with regularity.

Personally my favorite is FG offense. I don't know how it's calculated, but I feel like it encompasses everything a hitter does.

https://twitter.com/faridyu/status/1...374821891?s=21

Yu is really getting into twitter.

I'm going to try to be concise in everything that's been discussed:

KB is super ****ing good. Whether you agree with my use of "perennial" or not. That's semantics and it doesn't matter. He's a great, great player. There are very few players that are going to be consistently better than him. We should be super glad he's on our team. He may or may not have some problem in some situation that exists, but it's not going to be possible to properly evaluate if that is true or not in a meaningful way in the time he's here. He currently is NOT having that problem this year. So it really doesn't matter if he did previously.

It would be nice if he would be slightly more better in situations with RISP.

It would DEFINITELY be nice if he hit a bit better against pitches with spin.

These are all statements I think everyone in here is OK with agreeing on.

Anyone else get that “Daniel Murphy last year with the Mets” with NC? Feels like the guy is coming into his own... I’d hate to see him leave here and produce for someone else. Of course I’d hate for him to stay here and be avg or worse.

What’s everyone prediction on who NC is after this year and the foreseeable future?

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Lol. Mad Dog on MLB Network ranked his Top 5 all time Cubs since today is the anniversary of when Ernie Banks # was retired at Wrigley.

1. Ernie Banks
    2. Frank Chance
    3. Mordecai “Three Fingers” Brown
    4. Fergie Jenkins
    5. Billy Williams
    Sorry, but any top 5 that doesn't have Santo on it is not a Cubs top 5. Santo's career WAR is higher than both Williams and Banks in over 1000 less AB then either. In a 7 year span between 1963 and 1969 Santo was top 3 in total WAR during those years.

Sorry, just had to get away from the "How great is Bryant" talk. Can we all just agree the guy is a superstar and move on. And quit picking little instances where he is only better than average. Sometimes the analysis goes too far. So how does he hit at Wrigley a day game after a night game that he homered in? Is he elite, or does he have to work on that as well?
    Last edited by rcal10; 08-22-2019 at 01:54 PM.

wRC+ w/ RISP:
    Rizzo: 128
    Bryant: 127
    Baez: 94 (He's been unreal great this year, but was at 118 last year in case folks want to point out he wasn't a very good hitter until last year).
    Contreras: 132 (So far he's the only one who is significantly better in this specific one, still basically on par with KB)
    Heyward: 109
    Schwarber: 91
    Bote: 121 (Best in this situation)

So that means that two people in their careers are better with RISP than in empty and men on in general.

The best one, Contreras, becomes roughly on par with KB in those situations.

Your best hitter is your best hitter. And I'd be more than willing to put a lot of money on KB ultimately ending his career with a better wRC+ with RISP than Contreras.
    Again.....I'm on the same side as you here.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Sorry, but any top 5 that doesn't have Santo on it is not a Cubs top 5. Santo's career WAR is higher than both Williams and Banks in over 1000 less AB then either. In a 7 year span between 1963 and 1969 Santo was top 3 in total WAR during those years.
    No Sosa?

Right. So then we agree. KB is a perennial top 5 guy. And without question a top 10 guy. Because I would look at his four healthy seasons. He's been top 5 in two out of four including YTD 2019. And was top 10 in the other full season and I think is likely to end top 10 now.

Slice it how you want. KB is a really, really, super great baseball player.

Colloquially, perennial is not used in the rigid way that you are, by the way. But that's semantics and just doesn't matter.
    How is it used colloquially?

What is the difference in meaning between "perennial top 5 player" and just plain "top 5 player"?

Surely there's a reason to put that extra word in there. I thought I understood it, but you're telling me I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Anyone else get that “Daniel Murphy last year with the Mets” with NC? Feels like the guy is coming into his own... I’d hate to see him leave here and produce for someone else. Of course I’d hate for him to stay here and be avg or worse.

What’s everyone prediction on who NC is after this year and the foreseeable future?
    As of now, it's the same that NC has generally been. The only thing he's really doing better right now, at least without digging into anything super deep is hitting home runs at an unsustainably high rate (34.8% hr/fb) and BABIPing super high (.426). His approach is basically the same and eventually he'll almost certainly come off the run he's having.

The defense is gonna be the biggest thing to watch for to me. If he can show he's even close to a neutral defender, it'll be a drastic difference for his career.

My prediction is that he's about the same player he's been since, let's say, 2016: .350-.360 wOBA, 120-130 wRC+.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    As of now, it's the same that NC has generally been. The only thing he's really doing better right now, at least without digging into anything super deep is hitting home runs at an unsustainably high rate (34.8% hr/fb) and BABIPing super high (.426). His approach is basically the same and eventually he'll almost certainly come off the run he's having.

The defense is gonna be the biggest thing to watch for to me. If he can show he's even close to a neutral defender, it'll be a drastic difference for his career.
    Yeah I don’t expect him to be Trout or anything... but I don’t think anyone suspected Yelich to be Trout either. Not that NC is as good as either...

I'm going to try to be concise in everything that's been discussed:

KB is super ****ing good. Whether you agree with my use of "perennial" or not. That's semantics and it doesn't matter. He's a great, great player. There are very few players that are going to be consistently better than him. We should be super glad he's on our team. He may or may not have some problem in some situation that exists, but it's not going to be possible to properly evaluate if that is true or not in a meaningful way in the time he's here. He currently is NOT having that problem this year. So it really doesn't matter if he did previously.

It would be nice if he would be slightly more better in situations with RISP.

It would DEFINITELY be nice if he hit a bit better against pitches with spin.

These are all statements I think everyone in here is OK with agreeing on.
    Nice!!

I was just going to post something similar, but it wouldn't have been said with such elegance.

No Sosa?
    Nope. Santo was a better player. 70.5 career WAR in 8100 AB. Sosa was 58.6 in 8800 AB. I think a lot of people are too young to have really appreciated Santo as a player. They see him as some "homer" announcer who used to announce for the Cubs long ago. But he was the best player on the team in the 60's.

Also, would it help NCs WAR if he was a LF?

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Nope. Santo was a better player. 70.5 career WAR in 8100 AB. Sosa was 58.6 in 8800 AB. I think a lot of people are too young to have really appreciated Santo as a player. They see him as some "homer" announcer who used to announce for the Cubs long ago. But he was the best player on the team in the 60's.
    Yup... never saw Santo play.

Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast