Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Preseason Week 1: Falcons @ Dolphins

Discuss

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Biggest takeaway so far is that we need a #2 CB.

1st team D gave up a 13 play 90 yard drive to Matt Schaub, that high pick is looking good lol.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Biggest takeaway so far is that we need a #2 CB.
    Rowe is prob #2 CB but he didn't play. Nik Needham a UDFA from UTEP was playing so yea, looked like a rookie out there.

Preston Williams hype is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Preston Williams hype is legit.
    Bro, Williams looks like the best WR on the team. 3 for 70 in the 2nd qtr and almost had a TD on a fade where the CB did everything but pull him to the ground.

Then comes into the 3rd qtr and makes a grown man catch to put us into the red zone. If he keeps his head right I think we legit got the steal of the draft.

Can't wait for him to sit behind Parker til week 7.

First half notes from someone that was barely paying attention to the game:

Fitz was rough but was running for his life. Drake looked good and Parker made a great catch, but overall bad night for the starting offense.

Rosen has looked good while running for his life but still plenty to be concerned about. Terrible INT where he didn't see the LB (the ol' Tannehill special), and threw a duck that would have been a pick six in the regular season but got bailed out by Williams. But he's led two TD drives, and when he's quick he's looked really good. The drive at the start of the 3rd was great with two tempo passes and then throwing it up for Williams.

Oline has STRUGGLED. Jordan Mills has gone full Columbo. Dieter and Calhoun have been rough tonight, but Calhoun has looked surprisingly good in run blocking but needs work in the passing game.

Defense struggled at the start but picked up well after that. Although you had a rough showing of Minkah playing late in the 2nd and missing a tackle on a screen play. Needham got picked on a lot so Rowe and Tank hopefully come back soon. Just no pressure at all for most of the game. Obviously Flores isn't going to show everything in the pre-season, but I don't think he has the players to really execute the way he wants at the moment.

Overall some of the young guys were fun, but plenty of work to go. I don't expect this staff to work miracles this year and make all these young guys into pro bowlers, but it's still concerning how bad some of the "backups" have looked. I really think once injuries start to hit is when we'll see the team that everyone expects.
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 08-08-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Rosen looked good enough that I think he should get the start next week alongside Williams. I've said from day one that the biggest issue I had with the trade is that we just don't have a lot to help him, especially with this oline. So you have to give him as many chances as possible to actually show he's the guy.

Rosen looks lost / tentative when looking downfield to pass. I think getting more comfortable with the offense will help, but he needs experience. No surprise with either of those issues, given his youth and being new to the offense. Just a question of when it will be best for him to bring him in as the starter. I think his pocket awareness and movement were fantastic!

Offensive line looks horrible. No surprise there either. They had a coach fired a week ago. Tunsil will help the left side.

Nice to see 2 QB's who understand how to sense pressure and move in the pocket as opposed to "Tannehilling it".

Defense needs to learn to tackle. That, to me, is very concerning under a defensive coach, whether you believe he is genius just because he came from the cheats or not. It's tackle football. You ****ing tackle. One point in his favor is that they had less pre-snap penalties than they had in the scrimmage.

Can't wait to see Preston Williams with the 1's if he stays out of trouble.
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 08-09-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    Rosen looks lost to me. I think getting more comfortable with the offense will help, but he needs experience. No surprise with either of those issues, given his youth and being new to the offense. Just a question of when it will be best for him to bring him in as the starter.

Offensive line looks horrible. No surprise there either. They had a coach fired a week ago. Tunsil will help the left side.

Nice to see 2 QB's who understand how to sense pressure and move in the pocket as opposed to "Tannehilling it".

Defense needs to learn to tackle. That, to me, is very concerning under a defensive coach, whether you believe he is genius just because he came from the cheats or not. It's tackle football. You ****ing tackle. One point in his favor is that they had less pre-snap penalties than they had in the scrimmage.

Can't wait to see Preston Williams with the 1's if he stays out of trouble.
    Stepping up into the pocket and sensing pressure was pretty apparent last night... I wouldn't say he was lost because of those 2 takeaways from last night...

Next years draft may come down to the o-line this season... I don't think the Phins are the worst team in the league, but they may very well have the worst o-line in the league....

IMO, they'll be in the 5 to 10 slot... I get knocked for this, but I think drafting another stud OL like Tunsil is a must next draft... Dieter is young, but has potential... He may not be the answer for the leftside though... I hope I'm wrong though...

The center to RT is scary right now... I think that was more of a reason that Fitz was pulled... Right now I still think Fitz is game #1 starter in Flores mind, if so he needs to keep him healthy to at least see what he can do... He needs to poop the bed or get hurt for Rosen to get the nod even if Rosen continues to show potential in pre-season...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

Preston Williams has beast potential... I don't care if Rosen or Fitz targets him 30 times a game... Every successful QB had a go to threat, and not a dink and dunk threat connection... He has that any given play could be a game breaker ability...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    Stepping up into the pocket and sensing pressure was pretty apparent last night... I wouldn't say he was lost because of those 2 takeaways from last night...

Next years draft may come down to the o-line this season... I don't think the Phins are the worst team in the league, but they may very well have the worst o-line in the league....

IMO, they'll be in the 5 to 10 slot... I get knocked for this, but I think drafting another stud OL like Tunsil is a must next draft... Dieter is young, but has potential... He may not be the answer for the leftside though... I hope I'm wrong though...

The center to RT is scary right now... I think that was more of a reason that Fitz was pulled... Right now I still think Fitz is game #1 starter in Flores mind, if so he needs to keep him healthy to at least see what he can do... He needs to poop the bed or get hurt for Rosen to get the nod even if Rosen continues to show potential in pre-season...
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I thought he looked lost / tentative when looking downfield to pass. I think in the pocket (awareness) he looked fantastic! I edited my post in case anyone else thinks I am anything less than satisfied with his first outing. That's the one positive about our offensive line playing the way they did; we got to see his pocket awareness and how he never panicked, other than maybe the one high arcing throw that Preston bailed him out on. But even veteran QB's under that kind of pressure eventually make a bad throw.
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 08-09-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Oline was abysmal.
    Rosen looked fine for where i expect him to be right now.
    And i told y'all Preston was one of the best WRs in this class.

Not too concerned about the tackling issue. Every team is bad this time of year because of the CBA just not allowing much live action. Plus Flores himself has said he wants to teach the proper way to do it before letting guys just go all out. There hasn't really been a brutal practice yet under him.

I agree with you Forever35, I think this team is destined to be in the 5-10 range. I'd be more than ok with drafting an Olineman and just getting that stud. But if you're that high with some of these QBs you have to do it. Dont make the same mistake we've made with Tannehill. Last year in Browns camp, everyone talked about how obvious it was that Baker was the guy. Rosen has impressed me by getting better every day, but his ceiling is still Goff to me. I'd rather take the shot and get the guy that can elevate the talent around him no matter how much I like Rosen.

Although with all that said, Oline could very easily be the reason we finish with a high pick. Sure the defense has a few issues, but I expect it to be somewhat solid this year. But it already looks like we've got two young guys who are going to take time to learn on the oline (which we should absolutely do this year), and then an injury prone center. One or two of those guys go down and itll be bad.

Preston Williams cant be the steal of the draft since he wasnt drafted. that 3rd quarter catch was boss. we have nobody on our team but him that would have made that. he definitely looks like our best WR already which is funny.

I think Preston should be the #1 WR week 1 and that we should trade Stills and Drake for more draft capital

I don't see how we dont pick in the top 5. I see us winning 3 games. the max if everything bounces our way being 5 wins

I thought it was evident watching the game that Rosen isnt the future. he looked horrible and nowhere close to Fitz level yet. his awareness was good and his accuracy great but his processing is slow af and he doesnt have athletic ability to make up for it. Preston bailed him out all game