Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    I really think weíll see Joe fired anytime now.
    How is it his fault because relief pitching sucks?
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBenhotness View Post
    Things are easier when you just admit that we arenít a good team lol
    Never. But honestly, on physical talent, this team is elite. In terms of baseball IQ, this is a AAA team, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBenhotness View Post
    Things are easier when you just admit that we arenít a good team lol
    This.

The real Pride of the Midwest

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    This is it in a nutshell. Thank you Theo for what you did through 2016 but since then this roster has been in a steady decline, with this year seeing a massive drop.
    Yeah, it's really hard for me to criticize Theo, because he brought us something I thought I would never see. I never even had an issue with Darvish, Heyward of the Q trade. Still don't. It's just mind boggling to me though how intelligent he is, but has such a tough time developing pitching, and getting a competent bullpen and filling a quality bench. It really has cost this team. If this team just had a few more quality relievers they would be about 8-10 games better right now.

Another thing about Theo is that he seems to stick with his own players way too long. Happ, Almora, Russell, Schwarber, etc. The first three haven't done much to help this team at all this year and a few years ago could have brought something good back in return. A few of them will probably be gone in the offseason and they won't get anything for them.

Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Why hasnt he been able to retain a powerhouse farm then the last 3 years? I agree hes good at building something up but once he gets his team he goes pants on head stupid.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    Yeah hes failed to build a sustainable farm, paid too much for rentals and low level talent. The Yankees are the model to follow in that regard, constantly pumping out new talent while still competing. Regardless I dont think anyone else can lead another rebuild for us.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    Yeah hes failed to build a sustainable farm, paid too much for rentals and low level talent. The Yankees are the model to follow in that regard, constantly pumping out new talent while still competing. Regardless I dont think anyone else can lead another rebuild for us.
    And the Astros and the Dodgers. Why are the Dodgers able to pump out elite talent yearly yet it baffles the Cubs player development system. They seem to be the only big market team that cant pump out high level talent to replace guys that they lose except maybe the Mets.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    Maddon and the other coaches are the issue imo. Hitters are talented but suck at executing. Theo needs to be retained at all costs.
    Theo will be here next year, but Maddon will be gone. Sounds like they were kind of tired of him before the season, and it was going to take a miracle season for him to be brought back. They are looking to cut cost and I doubt Maddon will take much of a pay cut. They won't pay him 5 million. They will bring someone in for about 1 million.

I think part of the problem is a lot of the guys on offense have the same approach. Bryant, Rizzo, Contreas, Schwarber, Baez. They look at pitches and don't swing at a lot of good pitches. When this offense was good they offset those guys with Fowler and Zobrist. That is what they are missing. Guys that are contact guys, that take walks and drive the ball and move guys over, not look for home runs. If they don't change their offense in the offseason, we will see the same thing next year.

Seeing where we are now compared to the Astros is just disappointing to say the least. I mean they have built as solid of a team as anybody could hope for. They strike out less than any other team in baseball. Their pitchers strike out more guys than any team in baseball. They have preached making contact rather than the walk, strikeout, home run approach. They are ahead of the curve in technology and building pitchers to their potential. They hit on their core players even while passing on Kris Bryant. (They are probably wondering how they missed that pick). You have to tip your hats to them for building a dynasty. Something we failed to do. Iím forever grateful to Theo for the WS, but itís been a disappointment sense then. They playoff appearances are awesome, but not competing for a World Series more than 1 time during our window will be a total let down if thatís how it plays out.

I donít want to tear this team apart, but some serious shake ups have to happen this offseason. We need better pure hitters. NC has been a breath of fresh air because he is a type of player we arenít used to.

Our rotation needs to get younger. Maybe Iím down on Hamels because of his last two starts but he really scares me moving into next year. I would love to make Garrett Cole work, but itís probably not possible. The only way would be if he agreed to backload his contract until Lester left. Replacing Hamels with Cole next year and hope we hit on a pitching prospect to take Lesterís spot after next year would be something I wish we could make work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    Wasn't this already determined before the season though? All the predictions had them around a .500 team or a little over. I think our expectations were too high to think they would be much better than that. I think the team they are now is what they were projected to be from the start.
    Exactly..
    They were 7 over at beginning of May when they went on that big run..

They're 6 over now, so from then til now they've played 500 ball..

They win at home and lose on the road

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Dude seriously. Our pen is trash. Loretta canít change that. Itís like people canít wait to type ďfire JoeĒ after every single loss. Itís so laughable that anybody thinks a new manager will change something. Yeah letís just fire a guy from his job with 1 month left just so we can say we did something. The same guy that managed us to 4 straight playoff appearances. A World Series and the best 4-5 year stretch of Cubs baseball in our lifetime.

Our problems are WAY bigger than Joe Maddon. Sorry to break your heart.

I find it laughable that people give Joe the credit for 4 straight playoff appearances but refuse to acknowledge His role in our failures....

Double talk much?

Much like preseason football, it didn't look like anyone wanted to win tonight. Were they the pirates 7th win since the ASB?

Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    Much like preseason football, it didn't look like anyone wanted to win tonight. Were they the pirates 7th win since the ASB?
    Yes. After tonight, the Pirates are 7-25 since the ASB.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    Theo will be here next year, but Maddon will be gone. Sounds like they were kind of tired of him before the season, and it was going to take a miracle season for him to be brought back. They are looking to cut cost and I doubt Maddon will take much of a pay cut. They won't pay him 5 million. They will bring someone in for about 1 million.

I think part of the problem is a lot of the guys on offense have the same approach. Bryant, Rizzo, Contreas, Schwarber, Baez. They look at pitches and don't swing at a lot of good pitches. When this offense was good they offset those guys with Fowler and Zobrist. That is what they are missing. Guys that are contact guys, that take walks and drive the ball and move guys over, not look for home runs. If they don't change their offense in the offseason, we will see the same thing next year.
    Agree with this 100%. Players like Zobrist, Fowler can be acquired in the offseason to improve the team without trading some of our best players. There needs to be a sort of shift in the way this team is constructed this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Dude seriously. Our pen is trash. Loretta canít change that. Itís like people canít wait to type ďfire JoeĒ after every single loss. Itís so laughable that anybody thinks a new manager will change something. Yeah letís just fire a guy from his job with 1 month left just so we can say we did something. The same guy that managed us to 4 straight playoff appearances. A World Series and the best 4-5 year stretch of Cubs baseball in our lifetime.

Our problems are WAY bigger than Joe Maddon. Sorry to break your heart.

Not saying it gonna make a huge change, basically saying that if they're not bringing him back next year and I doubt they are, then why not just can him now and basically give Loretta an audition to see what he can do the rest of the way to see if he can be a candidate for next year.

What Joe going to do these last 40 plus games that going to make a huge difference from what he been doing all year? Nothing

It going to be the same type of lineups, same pulling pitchers early, same bullpen roulette..

They were a 500 team all summer even with healthy players, they were 7 over in May and they're 6 over now..
    Nothing going to change in September with Maddon managing..

Why not just see what Loretta can do and give the players a new voice, new direction, and let see some fresh ideas..

Nothing to lose, lots to gain if it works out and it provides a wakeup call and spark..

Manager sets the tone...

The tone for this team is crap.

Joe needs to go. And I donít see why anyone is against this? If we arenít going to do anything this year... then why not try something at the manager position? What ELSE can be done at this point? Anything guys?

What exactly are you hoping for? What is gonna change this team? A 38 year switch hitter who hasnít played in 3 months? Relievers who were sucking before their ďmiracleĒ DL stints? What is going to make KB, Rizzo, Javy, Schwarber and the rest start playing up to their talent?

How do guys leave us us and become all stars? Why players come here and start sucking?

Itís culture my friends... itís hippy dippy everything is alright culture and there is no accountability for bad play.

Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast