Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

The NEXT manager?

I am getting a real bad feeling Gardy has lost this team. I really thought that with him at the helm we would at least be solid defensively, play smarter baseball all around, and be more aggressive on the base paths. Since it seems quite the opposite this year, I thought maybe it's the long time vets losing interest. I thought with the young guys, he would have more control and even though we would lose, at least we would lose playing smart baseball. NOPE. The lack of fundamentals: piss poor communication between players/coaches, horrible base running, and not knowing the basic throws has just made it almost unbearable to watch anymore. I think Gady has even thrown in the towel and just doesn't know what else to say to the players anymore. All this has led me to believe we could see a change much sooner than I thought with Gardenhire. His only safety net is that they extended Al for some reason so he will most likely keep him as long as he is here. For me, here's the list of managers I would like to see come in with the young group we have coming up soon:

Doug Mientkiewicz (45)- manager at Toledo. When they hired him I saw him as the successor for Gardy. He has a winning record in the minors at every stop except for possibly this year with the Mud Hens but it's been a crap show down there with players going up and down and off the roster all year. He's a quality guy and a very good manager. The only problem here is if AA drags his feet then we may lose him to another team. I know Cincy and Minnesota have sniffed around him in the past.

Mike Rabelo (39)- manager at Erie. Why do catchers always make such good managers? He has done a great job in our minor system for years now and is just doing great job at Erie this year. Overall, in our crappy system over the years, he is 349-263 so he knows how to win in spite of talent. He finally has a team with their salt and is really putting the foot on the gas. If AA drags his feet it will give Rabelo and edge down the road.

Brayan Pena (37)- manager at Connecticut. He's still young and doesn't have the experience of the two listed above but I have already seen some of the prospects refer to him in very good terms. Seems like we have a good little trio with him and the other two. It would be great to see a Rabelo/Pena combo with Pena as the bench coach.

Joe Espada (42)- Houston bench coach. I think he's the next "hot" manager hire in the off season. The guy spent years in NY with Girardi and also some time in the front office with Cashman. He was with Miami when they actually played well and now with the Astros his resume is complete. If we could pull him from Houston after this year, it would be a spectacular move by Avila.

Tony Mansolino (37)- Cleveland AAA manager (159-120 coaching career) Very highly thought of throughout Cleveland's organization and around the league. A bit young an may be more of a candidate if we hang on to Gardy longer but he has some potential.

Fran Riordan (43)- Oakland AAA manager. Has been around a long time and is still young. Has had success in the minors and is ready for the next step. I think he'd benefit as a bench coach first but wouldn't be a bad choice for a managers job.

Ozzie Guillen ?

Quote Originally Posted by gracieanderson View Post
    Marketing, nursing and case study assignments are the most common case study writing tasks encountered by students. For a law student, writing a company Law case study pestle Analysis is like the firsthand account of a real legal dispute that needs legal attention.
    **** you!

His contract expires after the 2020 season if I remember right which should conincide with about the time the Tigers have said they plan on spending money again (think bigger/longer deals). I am of the mindset that we are going to ride it out with him until then and that's fine. He's the one steering the boat for better or worse until then, even if it ends up capsizing because the Tigers are not interested in winning right now, nor should they. They don't want to spend money anyway so I am not convinced that the lesser Illitch would want to pay Gardy and not have Gardy be doing something for the franchise.

Didn't Gardy just sign an extension a month or 2 ago? I didn't look at details, but does it really expire after next season?

Guys Gardy is here to see us through the slop. He isn't a long term solution and he will not be here when we are even remotely a relevant team. We hired him so we didn't have to hire an up and coming manager to deal with all the losing. Extension or not, he will not be here when we get decent.

Keep Gardy, the tank is working well

Well looks like Doug Mientkiewicz was just not enough of a "yes" man for Avila so they got rid of him. Too bad, Avila needs to hear "NO" more often. Doug was a stand up guy who pushed players rather than coddle them. He had the street cred to do that as he worked his way up to a MLB player. Personally, living down near Toledo, I liked his realism.

Apparently Avila feels the Toledo job will draw some major interest due to the prospects coming there in the next two years, so he thinks he can get a very good candidate. He already had one down there but he didn't want to hear reality.

Doug Mientkiewicz (45)- manager at Toledo. When they hired him I saw him as the successor for Gardy. He has a winning record in the minors at every stop except for possibly this year with the Mud Hens but it's been a crap show down there with players going up and down and off the roster all year. He's a quality guy and a very good manager. The only problem here is if AA drags his feet then we may lose him to another team. I know Cincy and Minnesota have sniffed around him in the past.

Well that's disappointing Doug always seemed like a fundamentals guy, but if he was already in the organization when Avila took over, it makes sense, Avila is here to watch the world burn

He's great at tanking, but rebuilding? not so much

we'll see, I guess