Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Poll: 2020 LFer

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    I hope they look to upgrade the spots where they're not even average first.

If Schwarber is the weakest link in your lineup, then your lineup is pretty awesome.
    This is pretty much where I am with him. As a #6 or #7 hitter in the line up, he is very good. He would be down the list of things I wanted the Cubs to improve on.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    Used correctly? As a part-time, platoon player?
    As the strong side of a platoon. And not at the top of the order for extended periods, or to play it safe, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    As the strong side of a platoon. And not at the top of the order for extended periods, or to play it safe, ever.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    I think they can play him against some left handed pitchers as well. How does he get better if he doesn't play against them? But, I agree, not at the top of the line up. And, not all lefties. I would say he is a guy who can start 130+ games a year.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    False choice.

Who is this mythical CF/leadoff hitter?

Iím good with the current outfield returning next year. Heyward, Almora, Happ, Maybe Hoermer eventually in CF. Schwarber, Castellanos, Happ, sometimes Bryant on the OF corners.
    Who is this mythical HOERMER fellow you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    False choice???
    It a hypothetical question/poll to see who everyone would choose as their LFer between the 3 players if they were only allowed to keep 1 of the 3..

There no right or wrong choice, it just your choice..

Sorry, thought this would be a good conversation on an off day
    Wow, it's like you asked him his opinon about Unicorns, Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster?
    Last edited by Timmmahhh; 08-21-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmmahhh View Post
    Wow, it's like you asked him his opinon about Unicorns, Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster?
    Pretty sure none of them will be playing LF in 2020

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Pretty sure none of them will be playing LF in 2020
    I'm sure all those options are better than Happ and Almora.
    Last edited by Timmmahhh; 08-21-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I totally understand people being down on him, compared to what he was thought to be. But sometimes people go overboard with criticism of him. I actually remember a poster suggesting that Kyle wasn't even a power hitter. I think it was the same guy who started this poll, actually. And, the funny thing about that statement is Schwarber just hit his 100th homer faster than any Cubs in the teams history. Isn't that amazing for a guy who doesn't hit for power.
    I know I come off as an apologist often when discussing the Cubs. But all I really want is for people to be fair when complaining about them. As you said, Schwarber is upgradeable. Definitely. But I also have no problem with him staying on the team and seeing if he can be an upgrade on himself. IMO, one of these years, soon, he is going to figure it out and be a guy who has OPS right near .900, or at the very least in the .850's. Actually, of all the Cubs, I think he benefits most if they go to the umpires no longer calling balls and strikes. I feel he gets called out on more pitches out of the zone than any other Cubs. If they eventually get someone better than him for left field, that is fine. But until then, I have no problem with a power hitter batting 6th or 7th in the line up.
    Nope, not me..

I had said of him is that he is basically a HR hitter ( all or nothing type), who walks alot .

Lately though, he hasn't even been walking much, as his OBP has been sitting in the 320s for awhile..

Nope, not me..

I had said of him is that he is basically a HR hitter ( all or nothing type), who walks alot .

Lately though, he hasn't even been walking much, as his OBP has been sitting in the 320s for awhile..
    He's walking at the same rate as usual this month. His OBP is low because he strikes out a lot and he's a low BABIP guy. Considering his .227 batting average, .320 OBP is pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    He's walking at the same rate as usual this month. His OBP is low because he strikes out a lot and he's a low BABIP guy. Considering his .227 batting average, .320 OBP is pretty high.
    Ok..
    I'm not really paying much attention to what he does like before..
    I've come to accept he is what he is and just hope he helps them win games

Ok..
    I'm not really paying much attention to what he does like before..
    I've come to accept he is what he is and just hope he helps them win games
    The point isn't that .320 OBP is good, but just that walking a lot doesn't mean you're a high OBP guy. If Schwarber were hitting .250, he'd be a near .350 OBP guy. If he were hitting .280, he'd be a .380 OBP guy, and so on. The reason his OBP isn't elite is because he doesn't get enough hits. It's very much a legitimate flaw.

He walks as much as a Bryant or Rizzo, but he doesn't put the ball in play as much or as effectively. That's what he has to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I totally understand people being down on him, compared to what he was thought to be. But sometimes people go overboard with criticism of him. I actually remember a poster suggesting that Kyle wasn't even a power hitter. I think it was the same guy who started this poll, actually. And, the funny thing about that statement is Schwarber just hit his 100th homer faster than any Cubs in the teams history. Isn't that amazing for a guy who doesn't hit for power.
    I know I come off as an apologist often when discussing the Cubs. But all I really want is for people to be fair when complaining about them. As you said, Schwarber is upgradeable. Definitely. But I also have no problem with him staying on the team and seeing if he can be an upgrade on himself. IMO, one of these years, soon, he is going to figure it out and be a guy who has OPS right near .900, or at the very least in the .850's. Actually, of all the Cubs, I think he benefits most if they go to the umpires no longer calling balls and strikes. I feel he gets called out on more pitches out of the zone than any other Cubs. If they eventually get someone better than him for left field, that is fine. But until then, I have no problem with a power hitter batting 6th or 7th in the line up.
    He's definitely not worthless, that's for sure.

That said, I'd prefer to have a LF'er who is good enough to bat in the meat of the order. And I love Kyle.

There's definitely room for improvement for us out there. I would prefer the the improvement comes from him though. But if it doesn't, I'm good with a clear upgrade. Someone much better than him. Maybe that player isn't even out there....aside from NC. And he needs to be used in RF against certain matchups

wRC+ 18th
    wOBA 17th
    FG offense 18th
    OBA 18th

Despite a terrible year at the plate this year, Almora is a better hitter than he's shown us in 2019. His previous seasons show that.

Almora is a .275/.325/.430 type hitter, which isn't bad given his amazing defense.

Happ is a .240/.350/.480 type hitter, with average defense for CF. I wish they just let him play after calling him up while he was locked in and benched Schwarber just to see what he's got.

Full season out of Comerica, Castellanos is probably a .900 OPS guy. Amazing someone with such a great swing can strike out so much.

Schwarber is who he is. His stats have been identical the last 3 seasons and he's shown zero adjustments. The shift hurts his BA AVG, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    He walks as much as a Bryant or Rizzo, but he doesn't put the ball in play as much or as effectively. That's what he has to overcome.
    The shift also kills Schwarber. He's be around a .250 AVG guy without the shift

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast