Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Poll: 2020 LFer

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    I hope this is the last season Schwarber puts on a Cubs uni.
    Why? He has a .333 wOBA and a 103 wRC+. Both are above average LF numbers.

Stop acting like he's worthless. He's upgradable. He's also quite serviceable and not the Cubs biggest issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post

Stop acting like he's worthless. He's upgradable. He's also quite serviceable and not the Cubs biggest issue.
    He's a DH who can't even hit. I've seen enough of him.

Take it FWIW I suppose, but the statcast data says he's one of the Cubs' best hitters: currently running first in xSLG and second in xWOBA.

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    Take it FWIW I suppose, but the statcast data says he's one of the Cubs' best hitters: currently running first in xSLG and second in xWOBA.
    I think there's more in there than what we've seen from him but I'm not sure he'll reach his potential here. Seems like a prime "change of scenery" guy.

Wasn't aware of those stats but idk, I would have a hard time calling him one of the Cubs best hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I hope he plays his entire career as a Cub.
    There's only 3 players on the squad that have earned being a career Cub - Bryant, Baez, Rizzo

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post

I totally understand people being down on him, compared to what he was thought to be. But sometimes people go overboard with criticism of him. I actually remember a poster suggesting that Kyle wasn't even a power hitter. I think it was the same guy who started this poll, actually. And, the funny thing about that statement is Schwarber just hit his 100th homer faster than any Cubs in the teams history. Isn't that amazing for a guy who doesn't hit for power.
    I know I come off as an apologist often when discussing the Cubs. But all I really want is for people to be fair when complaining about them. As you said, Schwarber is upgradeable. Definitely. But I also have no problem with him staying on the team and seeing if he can be an upgrade on himself. IMO, one of these years, soon, he is going to figure it out and be a guy who has OPS right near .900, or at the very least in the .850's. Actually, of all the Cubs, I think he benefits most if they go to the umpires no longer calling balls and strikes. I feel he gets called out on more pitches out of the zone than any other Cubs. If they eventually get someone better than him for left field, that is fine. But until then, I have no problem with a power hitter batting 6th or 7th in the line up.

Perfect example of what frustrates me with some fans. How is this statement fair, when you then read the rebuttal, which is actual factual?

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    Exactly.

If Schwarber can't hit .900 OPS in this era of juiced balls, he's never going to reach that mark.

He's not exactly a 21 year old prospect. This is who he is.

There's only 3 players on the squad that have earned being a career Cub - Bryant, Baez, Rizzo
    Actually I don't care if Schwarber plays his entire career as a Cub or not. Just disagreeing with your hope to never see him in a Cubs uniform again. If they upgrade left field that is fine. But as it stands now, he is the best player they have for that position and I have no problem with him staying there next year as well.

If Schwarber can't hit .900 OPS in this era of juiced balls, he's never going to reach that mark.

He's not exactly a 21 year old prospect. This is who he is.
    I did come back down to the .850 mark. And I feel that is a very real possibility. And actually looking at his rookie year of .246 .355 .487 .842, he was not far off of that mark. Sure, he might be who he is. But maybe in the future he continues to hit the ball hard and his babip rises. It is really a stretch to go from where he is to somewhere closer to .900, but at the very least, over .850? Is that really bad for a guy who can't hit?

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Actually I don't care if Schwarber plays his entire career as a Cub or not. Just disagreeing with your hope to never see him in a Cubs uniform again. If they upgrade left field that is fine. But as it stands now, he is the best player they have for that position and I have no problem with him staying there next year as well.
    That's reasonable. He is the best option to date. I hope they are actively on the lookout to upgrade, though.

That's reasonable. He is the best option to date. I hope they are actively on the lookout to upgrade, though.
    I hope they look to upgrade the spots where they're not even average first.

If Schwarber is the weakest link in your lineup, then your lineup is pretty awesome.

Schwarber is alright. His numbers would probably look better if he was used correctly. But they seemingly refuse to use him correctly. And itís not necessarily easy to use guys correctly when there are sizable stretches with only three outfielders on the roster.
    Heíll be the LF next year. Heíll probably be the LF as long as Theo is in charge.

So...he "can't even hit" despite the fact he's an above average hitter?

Stop being obtuse. That's objectively wrong. He's also no where near DH levels defensively. He rates as a slightly below average fielder who's shown above average LF arm. He's not a DH just as much as he's not a gold glove option. He's adequate.

He's not "untouchable". They *can* do better. But he's not the number 1, 2 or 3rd biggest issue on the team right now, he remains a fine option, and the Cubs should look to fix their other holes before they start sinking assets into upgrading here.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 08-20-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Schwarber is alright. His numbers would probably look better if he was used correctly. But they seemingly refuse to use him correctly. And itís not necessarily easy to use guys correctly when there are sizable stretches with only three outfielders on the roster.
    Heíll be the LF next year. Heíll probably be the LF as long as Theo is in charge.
    Used correctly? As a part-time, platoon player?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast