Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: 2020 LFer

Poll: 2020 LFer

Something I was thinking about today..

For sake of this poll..
    Say Heyward returns to play RF and they add a CFer to hit leadoff..

Cubs will only choose one of the three to keep and start in LF, who do you want..

Schwarber
    Happ
    Castellanos

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post

For sake of this poll..

Cubs will only choose one of the three to keep and start in LF, who do you want..

Schwarber
    Happ
    Castellanos
    False choice.

Who is this mythical CF/leadoff hitter?

Iím good with the current outfield returning next year. Heyward, Almora, Happ, Maybe Hoermer eventually in CF. Schwarber, Castellanos, Happ, sometimes Bryant on the OF corners.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    False choice.

Who is this mythical CF/leadoff hitter?

Iím good with the current outfield returning next year. Heyward, Almora, Happ, Maybe Hoermer eventually in CF. Schwarber, Castellanos, Happ, sometimes Bryant on the OF corners.
    False choice???
    It a hypothetical question/poll to see who everyone would choose as their LFer between the 3 players if they were only allowed to keep 1 of the 3..

There no right or wrong choice, it just your choice..

Sorry, thought this would be a good conversation on an off day

False choice???
    It a hypothetical question/poll to see who everyone would choose as their LFer between the 3 players if they were only allowed to keep 1 of the 3..

There no right or wrong choice, it just your choice..

Sorry, thought this would be a good conversation on an off day
    Itís a false choice because itís based on the Cubs acquiring some nonexistent player in CF. They can keep all 3 if they want.

It didnít really turn into a good conversation starter, huh?

Itís a false choice because itís based on the Cubs acquiring some nonexistent player in CF. They can keep all 3 if they want.

It didnít really turn into a good conversation starter, huh?
    Lol... it was a hypothetical question..

Realistically, yes they could keep 2 of the 3..
    Happ and one of Castellanos or Schwarber.
    My guess is Castellanos will want to sign with a team where he will be able to start most everyday, be a little tough with Schwarber Heyward Happ and possibly another CFer

It actually was a good conversation amongst another group.
    Whatever, no big deal

Guess you all preferred to talk about trading Bryant and Baez [emoji849]
    Last edited by chibears55; 08-13-2019 at 07:26 AM.

My guess is Castellanos will want to sign with a team where he will be able to start most everyday, be a little tough with Schwarber Heyward Happ and possibly another CFer

Whatever, no big deal

Personally, I don't feel the need to get a new CF'er right now. I would be happy with JHey or Happ playing CF against RHP. AA or Happ (mostly Happ) against LHP. Kyle in LF against RHP. NC playing both corners when the other are platooning.

Maybe Happ is going to turn the corner this year and it works itself out. Also, we have enough OBA guys to handle the leadoff spot without a problem. Push comes to shove, Nico could be that guy at 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Personally, I don't feel the need to get a new CF'er right now. I would be happy with JHey or Happ playing CF against RHP. AA or Happ (mostly Happ) against LHP. Kyle in LF against RHP. NC playing both corners when the other are platooning.

Maybe Happ is going to turn the corner this year and it works itself out. Also, we have enough OBA guys to handle the leadoff spot without a problem. Push comes to shove, Nico could be that guy at 2B.
    That fine and my OP wasn't meant to be about getting rid of anyone per se..

It was just a hypothetical to see who of the 3 i mentioned would everyone prefer if they had to choose 1 to stay..

That all, just a simple preference question/poll, I wasn't trying to make up a roster or offseason prediction

[emoji16]

That fine and my OP wasn't meant to be about getting rid of anyone per se..

It was just a hypothetical to see who of the 3 i mentioned would everyone prefer if they had to choose 1 to stay..

That all, just a simple preference question/poll, I wasn't trying to make up a roster or offseason prediction

[emoji16]
    OK, I will play. First, no real reason to add anything about the Cubs having a centerfielder and Heyward playing right. Why not just ask who would you rather have in left field next year, Schwarber, Castellanos or Happ. Given that choice without any other variable, I would take Schwarber.

When making a decision like this you have to factor in payroll. Castellanos will cost more than $10M more than Schwarber. And there is no guarantee he would be any better offensively or defensively. And, even if he is, would it be worth $10M to a team with payroll issues? I would say no. Then as for Happ, I would rather he not be counted on to be an everyday player. I would rather see him play some center (even if they did trade for an everyday guy, or get one somehow), some second maybe even some third and fill in at the corner outfield spot. More like a Zobrist, who can also play a little center.

So given the choice of the 3 you mentioned I would take Schwarber

BTW, given the choice of what I would like the outfield to look like next year, I am on board with both CP and thawv. Find a way to sign NC, keep the 5 guys you have now and roll with those guys. I think that can be a very productive outfield.

Whatever, no big deal

That other group sounds great.

Realistically they can keep all 3.

That other group sounds great.

Realistically they can keep all 3.
    That is my preference. But can they sign Castellanos? Is the money going to be there? I think they can go cheap on the pen, with maybe one guy signed as a middle pen arm and then fill out with Ryan, Phelps, Chatwood Kimbrel and a few young arms. Just need another starting pitcher. Can they sign Hamels and Castellanos? Where are the money guys???? Is my wish to sign Castellanos just a dream?

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    That is my preference. But can they sign Castellanos? Is the money going to be there? I think they can go cheap on the pen, with maybe one guy signed as a middle pen arm and then fill out with Ryan, Phelps, Chatwood Kimbrel and a few young arms. Just need another starting pitcher. Can they sign Hamels and Castellanos? Where are the money guys???? Is my wish to sign Castellanos just a dream?
    They're still hovering right around the first CBT limit ($208M) with what they've got, factoring in projected arb raises and options. Any FA signs would go on top of that.

If they have something like a $238M opening day target, leaving ~$10M below the $248 top line for in-season moves, then they've got ~$30M to spend this winter (obviously a few dangerous assumptions there).

Hamels and Castellanos would eat up every last cent of that, if not more.

For sake of this poll..

Schwarber
    Happ
    Castellanos
    I don't accept your assumptions (Heyward RF, new CF, only keep one).

Count me as another vote for "all of the above".

A 4-way rotation of Heyward NC Schwarber Happ, with Almora or Kemp as the 5th works for me.

Of those 6, Happ and Almora are the first two I vote off the island.

Poll: 2020 LFer

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    They're still hovering right around the first CBT limit ($208M) with what they've got, factoring in projected arb raises and options. Any FA signs would go on top of that.

If they have something like a $238M opening day target, leaving ~$10M below the $248 top line for in-season moves, then they've got ~$30M to spend this winter (obviously a few dangerous assumptions there).

Hamels and Castellanos would eat up every last cent of that, if not more.
    So, yeah, they can probably keep Hamels and Nick C and then use money from declined options/non tenders with internal replacements to add 1 more decent reliever and call it an offseason if they want to.

If not Castellanos, some of the corner outfield free agents are going to get left out this winter and sign cheaper than expected. So you can just slow play it if Castellanos doesnít take the Cubs offer.

So, yeah, they can probably keep Hamels and Nick C and then use money from declined options/non tenders with internal replacements to add 1 more decent reliever and call it an offseason if they want to.

If not Castellanos, some of the corner outfield free agents are going to get left out this winter and sign cheaper than expected. So you can just slow play it if Castellanos doesnít take the Cubs offer.
    Or, if not Hamels maybe a cheaper "slow play" pitcher. No idea who. Don't really know the free agents. I feel they need 1 more above average bat in the line up. So I am hoping for Castellanos. I guess there is also Osuna or Puig? I am sure there are a few others.

Guys with options they can decline are Rizzo Quintana and Graveman. I've already ruled out Morrow's option.

About the only non-tender candidate would be Almora.

So between Graveman and Almora there's only ~$5M of potential savings.

I just noticed that my list still included CJE. So after removing him I'm now at $206M for 17 contract guys, 3 option guys, and 5 pre-arb's.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast