Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Coaching Candidates.

I know it isn't foregone conclusion that Mike McCarthy is going to be fired but it definitely feels like its a strong possibility and is probably for the best that the Packers do move on from him at this point. With that said i figured we could talk about some candidates that people have in mind. I saw this article that listed some names so ill start with a clip of that article.

His candidates include Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh, who is reportedly set to part ways with his current franchise this offseason. Harbaughís parents, Jack and Jackie, lived in the Milwaukee suburb of Mequon for several years.

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley, an offensive innovator who is perhaps the trendiest name from the college ranks, was also mentioned.

Patriots assistant Josh McDaniels, a former head coach in Denver who briefly accepted the Colts head-coaching vacancy last offseason before returning to New England, is another top offensive mind. Darren Hartwell of NBC Sports previously connected McDaniels and Packers, and Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports also wrote about the many options facing McDaniels

The Big Lead also mentions Dabo Swinney of Clemson, Matt Rhule of Baylor and New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael Jr.

Though not mentioned in the article, it could be noted that Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald, who was mentioned during last offseasonís search for a Bears head coach, was hired by Packers president Mark Murphy when Murphy was NU athletics director in 2006, although there's no indication Fitzgerald would leave the college ranks.
    I like some of the names mentioned in there. Idk about guys like Dabo, McDaniels, Matt Rhule, Fitzgerald, etc. Mostly because i don't know much about them and i am not a huge fan of McDaniels either. I think Pete Carmichael is a very intriguing name that i really haven't thought of and John Harbaugh is probably one of the more attractive names I've seen as a possibility for us.

I wanna go full wild card. McD or Riley.
    I think Rodgers would love both

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I wanna go full wild card. McD or Riley.
    I think Rodgers would love both
    Man I just donít know about McD after the **** he pulled in Indy and his failed time with Denver. But I guess I wouldnít hate it.

Riley gets me excited whereas most the names mentioned so far donít really do much for me. I do not want to go the safe route personally. I do like Harbaugh as a coach tho. We just need someone whoís going to challenge Rodgers and bring something new to this offense.

I understand the reservations about mcdaniels but heís the only one of hose names that excites me at all.

I am firmly against any college coach without significant NFL experience. I donít want any OC promoted to HC that doesnít call the plays. I donít want a HC that calls the plays, either. Iím not real hip to Harbaugh(either of them).

I feel like weíre gonna be thrown a curveball. I remember doing a big wtf when they hired MM. First I said ďwho?Ē Then I said ďthe SF OC, with those results? Thatís our guy?Ē

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Man I just donít know about McD after the **** he pulled in Indy and his failed time with Denver. But I guess I wouldnít hate it.

Riley gets me excited whereas most the names mentioned so far donít really do much for me. I do not want to go the safe route personally. I do like Harbaugh as a coach tho. We just need someone whoís going to challenge Rodgers and bring something new to this offense.
    if you're wanting that I don't think you go Harbaugh. He really never comes to mind when someone asks who is an offensive genius. the Ravens have always been known for defense more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishguy85 View Post
    I understand the reservations about mcdaniels but heís the only one of hose names that excites me at all.

I am firmly against any college coach without significant NFL experience. I donít want any OC promoted to HC that doesnít call the plays. I donít want a HC that calls the plays, either. Iím not real hip to Harbaugh(either of them).

I feel like weíre gonna be thrown a curveball. I remember doing a big wtf when they hired MM. First I said ďwho?Ē Then I said ďthe SF OC, with those results? Thatís our guy?Ē
    So basically you donít want anyone besides McDaniels? The guy who failed in Denver and bailed on the Colts? Gotcha.

I donít get why people are so scared to think outside the box. Yeah letís do the same boring crap most teams do when hiring a coach.

And while Mike hasnít been spectacular he did win us a Super Bowl and played a major roll into making Rodgers the QB he is today.

Also, just cause a coach isnít the one actually calling plays doesnít mean he doesnít help come up with the plays and game plans.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    if you're wanting that I don't think you go Harbaugh. He really never comes to mind when someone asks who is an offensive genius. the Ravens have always been known for defense more than anything.
    Well I mean he doesnít have to call plays. There is an OC too. Yíall need to think outside the box lol. The head coach is the leader of the team. Doesnít mean he has to do everything.

Yes Iím perfectly aware that the coach still has input on the game plan even if not calling the plays and thatís exactly my point. I want a coach with a 30,000 feet view and isnít blinded by their own bias being stuck on the view of their play sheet. Observe the team as a whole, and how all the pieces fit. Lead instead of having to control everything.

And no, itís not mcdaniels or nothing. I just said heís the only name I like so far of who has been mentioned. Other names will surely emerge. Like I said, mccarthyís Name kinda came out of nowhere.

Hell, did you even read my post? Seems like youíre just so against the suggestion of mcdaniels that thatís all you can comment on.

As for going outside the box... Ask Philly and SF how chip kelly worked out. How did Schiano do?

Unconventional, college only coaches donít work in the NFL. Period.

I am really sour on Josh McD even though he is probably the best fit.

I think Matt Rhule is an interesting candidate. He just seems like a guy who is a good leader. The question would be what kind of offensive staff he could assemble.

Yes Iím perfectly aware that the coach still has input on the game plan even if not calling the plays and thatís exactly my point. I want a coach with a 30,000 feet view and isnít blinded by their own bias being stuck on the view of their play sheet. Observe the team as a whole, and how all the pieces fit. Lead instead of having to control everything.

And no, itís not mcdaniels or nothing. I just said heís the only name I like so far of who has been mentioned. Other names will surely emerge. Like I said, mccarthyís Name kinda came out of nowhere.

Hell, did you even read my post? Seems like youíre just so against the suggestion of mcdaniels that thatís all you can comment on.

As for going outside the box... Ask Philly and SF how chip kelly worked out. How did Schiano do?

Seems like youíre just so against the idea of college coaches thatís all you can comment on.

Just cause you can point out failed experiments doesnít mean there wasnít any successes. Stop stating crap as fact when it isnít lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Seems like youíre just so against the idea of college coaches thatís all you can comment on.

Just cause you can point out failed experiments doesnít mean there wasnít any successes. Stop stating crap as fact when it isnít lol.
    You should follow your own advice.

You should follow your own advice.
    Iím not attempting to state facts like you are. ďCollege only coaches donít work in the NFL periodĒ show me the cold hard facts about that. Not this oh look this guy didnít work here and that guy didnít work there so it just wonít ever in the history of football ever work. The thing you forget or fail to realize is that a lot of coaches in the nfl have some college experience or came from college. Itís sooooo ****ing stupid when someone just says ďoh since heís coaching in college he will never work out in the nflĒ.

Any offensive coach is going to call the plays. If you don't want that you limit yourself to Harbaugh/Dave Toub and defensive candidates which cuts your candidate pool by over half.

I forgot that Gutekunst doesn't have the authority to fire MM. Hopefully Murphy isn't stupid and essentially lets Gutekunst have the final say in this matter.

Curious to your thought process on Harbaugh then. If you want a leader and a 30,000 foot overview guy then John Harbaugh should probably be at or near the top of your list. That's basically the reason he became head coach.

With a guy like Harbaugh, you get a good guy to run the team. The advantage with him is that he's the man at the top and the leader of everyone. What that means is you can hire the smart, possibly less experienced coordinators. Those guys will be tasked with player development and scheming. But can leave more of the player personality and relations to Harbaugh.

With a one coach, which is what a guy like mcdaniels, defillipo ect would be, you get the offensive ingenuity from the head coach. That being said, you likely need an experienced, respected DC who has full autonomy over the defense. That's sort of the setup that LA has with McVay and Phillips and I think that's part of the reason that worked so well. McVay can be the offensive genius and still have a respected locker room coach to lean on if need be at times.

Neither is right or wrong. There's situations where both have worked. If we keep pettine, we have an experienced coach who can aid a young, first time head coach. So we do have that potentially in place.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast