Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Jeff McNeil Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    So does some poster on here who saw him almost hit a HR out of Grayson Park.
    I believe he was the same poster that posed the question "Bell or Smith?"
    Oh yeah I remember that post. Fans were ******** on Dom bc of a presumed lack of power?

What was the answer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

In August-.283/.372/.566/.938
    In September- .259/.328/.552/.880

His slump in July really skews those numbers you posted.
    .177/.333/.430/.764
    Agreed.

And for a rookie to be this excellent overall while playing a full season from Game 1 is ****ing impressive.

Not worried about Alonso in the slightest. He has the highest wRC+ and fWAR of all 1B in MLB this season. As a rookie!
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 09-18-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    You would never have to sell me on Conforto. I like the kid, but am willing to deal before he becomes to expensive and if you can get a legit CF prospect that is almost ready to contribute.

Mets just have too many left fielders on the team.
    Yeah I would deal him if we can net a good return.

Lets be honest, he’s been sort of a disappointment since his shoulder injury in 2017. He really looked like he was on his way to becoming a real force in this league, hitting bombs to all fields.

The last 2 seasons combined he’s been a 120 wRC+ guy with 3 WAR. A good player for sure, but not the player we thought he might be and he has performed very poorly under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBiv View Post
    Furthermore, even Nimmo has a better approach than Conforto and gets on base much more regularly. Nimmo will have a great year next year, if he can stay healthy.
    I think Conforto is what he is at this point, McNeil will find a happy medium and Alonso will figure it out. He simply NEEDS to take back his strike zone and eventually the pitchers will have to come to him, and then he will get what he wants.
    Yeah I think people forget how great Nimmo was last season (149 wRC+ and 4.5 fWAR), and the balls weren’t even juiced.

The issue is consistency and durability. Nimmo has looked awesome since returning from the IL, but it’s difficult to tell what guy you’re going to get next year and if he’ll be able to stay on the field enough.

Even though Conforto has been frustrating at times, he has been on the field way more and has produced good (2018-19) to great (2017) overall returns.

McNeil reminds me of Daniel Murphy when he was on the Nationals. It wouldn’t surprise me if McNeil follows up this season with like .320/.380/.550. He seems to be learning how to tap into his power while using his great contact skills, just like Murphy did.

I say slot him in everyday at 3rd base mostly and you have one of the better players in MLB.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 09-18-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Confortos not going Anywhere. Hes good and hes cheap. Keep dreaming.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-18-2019 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Yeah I would deal him if we can net a good return.

Lets be honest, he’s been sort of a disappointment since his shoulder injury in 2017. He really looked like he was on his way to becoming a real force in this league, hitting bombs to all fields.

The last 2 seasons combined he’s been a 120 wRC+ guy with 3 WAR. A good player for sure, but not the player we thought he might be and he has performed very poorly under pressure.
    Conforto has the 17th best fWAR for Outfielders this season. His wrc+ is the same as Bryce Harper and one point less than Acuna.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Conforto has the 17th best fWAR for Outfielders this season. His wrc+ is the same as Bryce Harper and one point less than Acuna.
    Conforto: .252/.354/.482 (120 wRC+), 1.54 WPA, 3.1 fWAR
    Harper: .255/.373/.492 (121 wRC+), 5.14 WPA, 3.8 fWAR
    Acuna: .277/.361/.509 (122 wRC+) 4.83 WPA, 5.1 fWAR

Conforto’s offensive performance hasn’t helped nearly as much as the other two when it comes to winning actual games. Hitting bombs when you’re already up big isn’t particularly helpful.

Conforto in 2017 had 147 wRC+, 4.4 WAR, and 2.90 WPA in only 102 games. He’s not the same player he looked like he was developing into.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Conforto: .252/.354/.482 (120 wRC+), 1.54 WPA, 3.1 fWAR
    Harper: .255/.373/.492 (121 wRC+), 5.14 WPA, 3.8 fWAR
    Acuna: .277/.361/.509 (122 wRC+) 4.83 WPA, 5.1 fWAR

Conforto’s offensive performance hasn’t helped nearly as much as the other two when it comes to winning actual games. Hitting bombs when you’re already up big isn’t particularly helpful.

Conforto in 2017 had 147 wRC+, 4.4 WAR, and 2.90 WPA in only 102 games. He’s not the same player he looked like he was developing into.
    Especially when you have Diaz on the mound with his wipeout slider.

In High Leverage spots, Michael hasn't performed but in Medium leverage spots he has outperformed both Acuna and Bryce. The reason why I was comparing using wRC+ is because of the discrepancy between all three parks.

Who are you going to get or bring up that will replace that production of the 17th best OF in MLB?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

The idea of trading Conforto is that you would deal him for a legit CF prospect.

Also that gives Nimmo LF and JD RF.

Though next year you like with Nimmo in CF if Cespedes comes back and actually plays.

The idea of trading Conforto is that you would deal him for a legit CF prospect.

Also that gives Nimmo LF and JD RF.

Though next year you like with Nimmo in CF if Cespedes comes back and actually plays.
    Like whom?
    Atlanta isn't going to trade Pasche. And the White Sox like Roberts.

Can’t be the only two CF prospects in baseball.

Jo Adell isn't going any where.

Seattle has a CF prospect, but the Mets were just raped by them.

Florial could be had but he has the offensive prowess of Lagares.

Can’t be the only two CF prospects in baseball.
    Legit CFer able to step in next year and rated high? Pretty much. Atlanta has a possible third. Billy Hamilton is probably available after the season. :barf: Mets might as well resign Lagares to a 1-year $4m deal I guess.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Legit CFer able to step in next year and rated high? Pretty much. Atlanta has a possible third. Billy Hamilton is probably available after the season. :barf: Mets might as well resign Lagares to a 1-year $4m deal I guess.
    Might as well keep Nimmo in CF if that's the case.

Especially when you have Diaz on the mound with his wipeout slider.

In High Leverage spots, Michael hasn't performed but in Medium leverage spots he has outperformed both Acuna and Bryce. The reason why I was comparing using wRC+ is because of the discrepancy between all three parks.

Who are you going to get or bring up that will replace that production of the 17th best OF in MLB?
    Conforto is 64th in WPA out of 155 players with 450 PA this season. Harper is 7th and Acuna is 9th. They’ve been vital to their team’s offensive performance and wins.

Conforto needs to get hits that help the team win. He hasn’t been a clutch player for his entire Mets tenure outside of 2017 where he was excellent overall.

He is going to get more expensive and he could probably net a pretty good return. This team has an abundance of corner outfielders.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast