Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Are the 2019-20 New "NEW" York Rangers a Playoff team?

As the dust settled on the Draft and free agency, the New York Rangers are young...VERY young and inexperienced on the NHL level. Beyond Zibanejad, Panarin, Kreider, Trouba, Staal, Smith (if he plays), Buchnevich, and Namestnkov there aren't too many vets to offset this massive influx of youth.

1. The Rangers Playoff Hopes might depend on the maturation of Filip Chytil & second line.

2. Will Brady Skjei have a bounceback year and vindicate Gorton who traded the cheaper, more durable, and 2018-19 Plus/Minus runner-up, Ryan Mcdonagh?

3. How will the Defensive Corps after Trouba & Skjei hold up?

4. Can Henrik Lundqvist have a turn back the clock season?

Lots of questions and the rebuild isn't over yet...but the Rangers are starting to resemble a team on the up with a lot of potential. Only time will tell whether or not they're ready to run with the big dogs.

There are a ton of "ifs" involved here and a lot would have to go right for us to be a playoff team.

If Chytil,Anderson and Howden can take the next step
    If Kakko and Kravtsov can provide offense on this team now.
    If DeAngelo, Hajek and Fox can be everyday reliable dmen.
    If Hank has a decent year.
    If Skjei and Trouba can be a true top pair d pairing.

If most of that happens, we are definately a playoff team.

I think we’re going to see mostly good in context to a lot of the ifs. I think Kravtsov and Kakko will impress and be Calder candidates. I think Panarin will show why he got a big contract. Zbad will flourish a bit more with a legit winger. The rookie goalies will be good.

There’s just too much to overcome that naturally that will hold a team back. A second year head coach (his first time pro) still learning and implementing his system with a bit of turnover in his staff. Two very good veterans in Hayes and Zucc gone from the go, and one more in CK eventually on the way out. The defense, although a bright bright future, is still kind of a mess with a huge logjam on the left side and a right side very talented and established but some waiting to see where guys go next. Hank is one year older although I believe he’s still a better goalie.

This is the recipe for a middling team. Unfortunate that we hurt our chances at a top 5 pick next year because honestly adding one of those kids would have established a way different future for us. I like the additions of Panarin and Trouba though. This team will be mostly positive as it grows and overcomes together. I have high hopes for next year that not only do we make playoffs but they put the league on notice once they’re in.

Will be a fun season for sure though.

New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
    I think we’re going to see mostly good in context to a lot of the ifs. I think Kravtsov and Kakko will impress and be Calder candidates. I think Panarin will show why he got a big contract. Zbad will flourish a bit more with a legit winger. The rookie goalies will be good.

There’s just too much to overcome that naturally that will hold a team back. A second year head coach (his first time pro) still learning and implementing his system with a bit of turnover in his staff. Two very good veterans in Hayes and Zucc gone from the go, and one more in CK eventually on the way out. The defense, although a bright bright future, is still kind of a mess with a huge logjam on the left side and a right side very talented and established but some waiting to see where guys go next. Hank is one year older although I believe he’s still a better goalie.

This is the recipe for a middling team. Unfortunate that we hurt our chances at a top 5 pick next year because honestly adding one of those kids would have established a way different future for us. I like the additions of Panarin and Trouba though. This team will be mostly positive as it grows and overcomes together. I have high hopes for next year that not only do we make playoffs but they put the league on notice once they’re in.

Ya i tend to agree that good things should come but we are very young, I love the players we have and I'm in the minority but I think Strome is gonna have a good year as well if he is given the opportunity. The big improvement this year should be our pp. Last year we had a good pp1 and a mishmash of players on the 2nd one. With Panarin, Zibanajad, Kakko/Buchnevich , Kreider and Trouba likely on the first pp it leaves good players like Buchnevich/Kakko,Kravtsov, Strome, Chytil, DeAngelo and Fox for the 2nd pp.

Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Ya i tend to agree that good things should come but we are very young, I love the players we have and I'm in the minority but I think Strome is gonna have a good year as well if he is given the opportunity. The big improvement this year should be our pp. Last year we had a good pp1 and a mishmash of players on the 2nd one. With Panarin, Zibanajad, Kakko/Buchnevich , Kreider and Trouba likely on the first pp it leaves good players like Buchnevich/Kakko,Kravtsov, Strome, Chytil, DeAngelo and Fox for the 2nd pp.
    Yeah growing pains will get in the way. I agree with Strome, think he will be a very serviceable middle six center which is what this team needs this year. I think a smart move is putting Chytil at 3C and Strome at 2C to start and just roll 3 lines solid and let Fil grow into the center role. When he’s ready flip em and give Chytil more responsibility.

I agree with the PP too but the flip side of that is problematic. The PK has been very bad for two years. And who on that right side do you trust to play D? Let alone two of them. I think there will be a lot of good mixed in with a lot of annoying struggles. Big time growth year for this team. I wouldn’t expect too much and I don’t prefer a playoff run. They don’t need the experience this early that bad. They need another top end pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could not agree more with this post. Before the big signings, I was hopeful that this would be another rebuild season. Finish with a Top 5 pick, secure another generational prospect and get one year closer to cap flexibility as Shattenkirk, Staal and Smith would be one year closer to Free Agency.

With the acquisitions of Panarin, Trouba and Fox the rebuild has been accelerated but I’m still not sure this is the year. The Rangers has the fewest wins in regulation last season and are infusing the team with young talent. I’m not sure we’re going to see the turnaround this year. And while I wouldn’t mind getting the young guys experience in playoffs, I also wouldn’t mind seeing a similar performance to last year in which we are competitive but still near bottom.

Just hard to be competitive when you have almost 15m in dead cap (Staal, Smith, Girardi, Shattenkirk) and Lundqvist making an additional 8.5m.

Yeah growing pains will get in the way. I agree with Strome, think he will be a very serviceable middle six center which is what this team needs this year. I think a smart move is putting Chytil at 3C and Strome at 2C to start and just roll 3 lines solid and let Fil grow into the center role. When he’s ready flip em and give Chytil more responsibility.

I agree with the PP too but the flip side of that is problematic. The PK has been very bad for two years. And who on that right side do you trust to play D? Let alone two of them. I think there will be a lot of good mixed in with a lot of annoying struggles. Big time growth year for this team. I wouldn’t expect too much and I don’t prefer a playoff run. They don’t need the experience this early that bad. They need another top end pick.

I agree with the issues on the pk,even the forward penalty killers is gonna be a crap shoot outside of Fast and Zibanajad, maybe Andersson? I cant see DeAngelo or Fox being much use in the pk but then again if they wanna be part of this they are gonna have to learn to. Offense shouldnt be a problem this year the defense is gonna need some things to go right.

I’m curious how much better the “offensive minded” guys can be if they’re forced into a situation where they need to be better at it. DeAngelo, Fox, and Trouba are all very good offensively and so are less likely to have been leaned on much throughout their young careers in the other end, not necessarily because they’re bad at it, but because they were more valuable to their teams spending most of their time in the attacking zone. On this team however, someone is going to have to pull some weight there, and I’m wondering if one of them actually ends up becoming a more well rounded defenseman because of it.

DeAngelo was actually one of the best players in the entire league at transitioning from defense to offense. Perhaps if granted the opportunity and focusing on improvement, he might actually surprise people at how good he can really be.

They’d have to be 15-20 points better to be a playoff team.
    That’s a huge improvement and with so many young guys breaking in and so many questions on D, I’m not so sure things break that way, even with some very nice additions and some of the non-rookie youth taking a step.

I think they are probably 7-10 points better. Maybe 12 points if a lot goes well.
    That doesn’t get them in. But that’s ok.

le's take a look at the other teams who missed the playoffs: Montreal, New Jersey, Philly, Florida, Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa. Of those teams, I think New Jersey made magnificent strides towards snagging a playoff spot.

Of the teams who made the playoffs last season, only Columbus lost enough talent to be in danger of missing the playoffs.

Definitely too many questions and asking a lot of young kids but it reminds me a little of the year when the Yankees made that run, came within one game of knocking out the (eventual WS champs) Astros. NO ONE expected them to make the playoffs but they did and because they didn't know better gave the inevitable WS champs a run for their money.

Are the 2019-20 New "NEW" York Rangers a Playoff team?

Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I agree with the issues on the pk,even the forward penalty killers is gonna be a crap shoot outside of Fast and Zibanajad, maybe Andersson? I cant see DeAngelo or Fox being much use in the pk but then again if they wanna be part of this they are gonna have to learn to. Offense shouldnt be a problem this year the defense is gonna need some things to go right.
    I like Andersson as an early favorite to get some PK time. I hope this team doesn’t lose sight that this is another growth year. I think Lias gets knocked a bit too hard. Give him plenty of PK time and let him grow some extra confidence there.

Quote Originally Posted by beast023 View Post
    I’m curious how much better the “offensive minded” guys can be if they’re forced into a situation where they need to be better at it. DeAngelo, Fox, and Trouba are all very good offensively and so are less likely to have been leaned on much throughout their young careers in the other end, not necessarily because they’re bad at it, but because they were more valuable to their teams spending most of their time in the attacking zone. On this team however, someone is going to have to pull some weight there, and I’m wondering if one of them actually ends up becoming a more well rounded defenseman because of it.

I have a feeling Lemieux will get some look there too. Will be interesting to see how Quinn approaches some parts of the deployment

DeAngelo was actually one of the best players in the entire league at transitioning from defense to offense. Perhaps if granted the opportunity and focusing on improvement, he might actually surprise people at how good he can really be.

I have a belief that over time one of Fox or Deangelo will become more established like a Trouba. I imagine that guy being moved in 2 or 3 years to restock the cupboards like Gorton does. That would give them hypothetically Trouba, one of Fox/DeAngelo and a spot for an emerging D prospect on the right side who’s paid his dues. Or maybe by that point we add a top end D on the right side on the first round at some point who emerges. That’s kind of how I envision that situation playing out loosely.

Last edited by redwhiteandblue; 08-13-2019 at 07:13 PM.

I like Andersson as an early favorite to get some PK time. I hope this team doesn’t lose sight that this is another growth year. I think Lias gets knocked a bit too hard. Give him plenty of PK time and let him grow some extra confidence there.

I have a belief that over time one of Fox or Deangelo will become more established like a Trouba. I imagine that guy being moved in 2 or 3 years to restock the cupboards like Gorton does. That would give them hypothetically Trouba, one of Fox/DeAngelo and a spot for an emerging D prospect on the right side who’s paid his dues. Or maybe by that point we add a top end D on the right side on the first round at some point who emerges. That’s kind of how I envision that situation playing out loosely.

Nils Lundkvist might be knocking on the door sooner rather than later. Not this year, but possibly next. DeAngelo will probably play on a one year deal this year, and hopefully plays well enough to inflate his trade value.

Are the 2019-20 New "NEW" York Rangers a Playoff team?

Quote Originally Posted by beast023 View Post
    Nils Lundkvist might be knocking on the door sooner rather than later. Not this year, but possibly next. DeAngelo will probably play on a one year deal this year, and hopefully plays well enough to inflate his trade value.

Yeah maybe as far as Nils. I like Nils floor to be about a good second liner on a very legit team and his potential to be an elite second pair D or regular top pair D on a Cup contending team. I like Nils a lot, he will come over more ready than most. We will have to see how his season goes. You are right though, that would be an ideal scenario. Especially considering the potential return of DeAngelo and how that relates to asset management considering he was a throw in on the Stepan deal.

I’m also a big time Joey Keane guy and he’s on that right side and far down. So much organizational depth to deal from on the RD side.

I honestly feel DeAngelo is just here to build his value, I don't feel he is a long term solution here with all the depth we have for young d, d that we can plug and play on entry level deals. Bringing in Trouba and fox basically sealed d'angelo's fate here. I mean just look at this list of our defense.

Jacob Trouba
    Brady Skjei
    Marc Staal
    Tony DeAngelo
    Adam Fox
    Yegor Rykov
    Brendan Smith
    Libor Hajek
    Ryan Lindgren
    Joey Keane
    Darren Raddysh
    Brandon Crawley
    Sean Day Rookie
    K'Andre Miller
    Nils Lundkvist
    Matthew Robertson
    Tarmo Reunanen
    Jacob Ragnarsson
    Nico Gross
    Calle Sjalin
    Zachary Jones

Yeah the depth at D on both sides is phenomenal. Fun time to be a Rangers fan. Both sides loaded.

I wouldn’t pencil in ADA as the one on the way out. If he really looks like the legit deal, and can be locked up reasonably with term to be the #2 for the next handful of years, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fox on an ELC entering RFA status as a pretty nice piece in a larger deal. Plug next guy up in his spot on an ELC, maybe a one year stop gap. Then 3-4 years later move on from ADA.

Crazy long look but it just shows there is a lot of ways this can all play out from here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast