Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Was the Buyout (of Shattenkirk) the Right Move?

A lot of chatter this morning as Kevin "Shattendeuces" Shattenkirk's dream of playing in his home state ended in a buyout of his final 2 seasons. With Trouba, Fox, and deAngelo playing the right side, he was the odd man out. Interesting enough, he wasn't given an opportunity to play from the left side. He couldn't be any worse than Staal and/Smith right? Right?

After signing with the Rangers with the intention of quarterbacking their power play, he tore his meniscus which shortened his first season with New York. Last season, he never looked right.

On Nov 24th 2018 vs the Caps in the Garden, the Rangers pulled the goalie, pressed a two man advantage except Shatty looked 30 going on 35, huffing up the ice and wasting 30 tics. As a result the Rangers never got a good shot on goal. The Caps breathed some relief and hung on to win.

Defensive numbers Shatty looks solid but offensively his numbers fell off a cliff.

He'll be a good sign as a 3rd line defender.

Do you think the Rangers made the right move? What move(s) should they have made?

Mentioned it in the off-season thread, but I don't mind the decision.

2019 - 2020: Cap Hit: 1.400M, Savings: 5.51M
    2020 - 2021: Cap Hit: 6.083M, Savings: 566K
    2021 - 2022: Cap Hit: 1.430M
    2022 - 2023: Cap Hit: 1.430M

This move puts the Rangers $1-$2M under the Salary Cap with Brandon Lemieux and Anthony DeAngelo still needing to be locked up. The way the buyout is structured, it solves the Rangers cap issues in the short-term, and while not providing long-term relief, the roster is set up where it is not much of an issue. Vladislav Namestnikov will not be with the team next year. That is $4M in savings. Chris Kreider will likely be dealt (and now you have more leverage in trade negotiations). That is another $4.6M in savings (assuming the return is a 1st rounder). Ryan Strome will likely not be back with the team next year due to a log jam at center and a need to get the young guys some experience, freeing up an additional $3.1M. The total from those three players is $8.6 to $11.7M. The Rangers will need to make a decision on Boo Nieves and Alexander Georgiev, but each are likely due only modest salary increases.

At the conclusion of the 2020 - 2021 season, the Rangers will have more decisions to make: Libor Hajek, Filip Chytil, Lias Andersson, Brett Howden, Pavel Buchnevich, but will be fortunate with Mark Staal ($5.7M), Brandon Smith ($4.4M) and Henrik Lundqvist ($8.5M) coming off the books, totalling $19.6M. The Rangers roster is set up perfectly where they can absorb Girardi's and Shattenkirk's contracts over the next few years. They will be reliant on some of the youth developing (as any team is), but they should have plenty of flexibility heading into the 2021 - 2022 season to make a real run (which is when I thought they would be a strong cup contender).

MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

St. Louis Cardinals:
    1926 • 1931 • 1934 • 1942 • 1944 • 1946 • 1964 • 1967 • 1982 • 2006 • 2011
    New York Rangers:
    1927–28 • 1932–33 • 1939–40 • 1993–94
    New York Knicks
    :
    1970 • 1973
    New York Giants:
    1986 • 1990 • 2007 • 2011

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

The right move was to trade him but I think they exhausted that with no result, imo the only teams that might have been interested in trading for him were the canadiens, maple leafs, Oilers and maybe canucks...all canadian teams he had on his non trade list.
    Having said all that, looking at how our roster is constructed a right side dman had to go and the fact that we were cap strapped was likely ruining trade value for other guys we might need to move ie Namestnicov, Kreider, etc.
    What I would like to see next is to move Kreider and just move on now because we wont be paying him 50 mill next year. If we could move Namestnicov I'd look to sign Justin William's for 1 year. Start like this and win or lose you play the kids in spots they can succeed.

Panarin Zibanajad Kakko
    Kravtsov Chytil Buchnevich
    (Namestnicov/Williams) Howden Strome
    Lemieux Andersson Fast
    Smith

Skjei Trouba
    Hajek DeAngelo
    Staal Fox

Yeah. It seems to me, when teams realized, "Waitaminute. The Rangers traded for Trouba, signed Panarin, and drafted Kakko...um, hell no am I helping them out." Notice how NJ fast forwarded their rebuild (maybe too quickly).

So it didn't surprise me that Shattenkirk was dropped for nothing. No one wants a strong Ranger team except Ranger fans.

Nevermind K'Andre Miller will probably get called up in 2020-21 season.

Kreider, Fast, Strome, and Namestnkov or Name-stank will be off the books at the conclusion of 2019-20 season.

Moving forward, I think, the Rangers' cap situation must remain fluid because teams are going to get themselves in cap hell and that's where the Rangers can capitalize.

Financially, it was a poor decision. Of course we don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors but when looking at the Marleau deal and the Lucic deal i’m fairly certain we could have made a deal if we were willing to include draft picks—-which I guess we were not. I get that we are trying to build our prospect pool and we value draft picks but there’s no guarantees that we’ll get another top 3 or even top 5 pick—Panarin, Trouba etc. have made that virtually impossible.

Tho’ I can agree with swift n sil3ent said in the 2019 off season thread, we do have contracts coming off the books and prospects who should be taking those spots, with cheaper contracts. So I can see why we are not moving draft picks—-because those picks will in turn the spots of the prospects that come up. So..... I guess I see the rationale of a buyout over including picks in deals.

The Rangers were looking to get cap compliant this year without much worry of the next few seasons. Remember, Dan Girardi’s dead cap space will be reduced from 3M to 1M next year.

Kreider will be gone.
    Namestnikov will be gone.
    Strome may be gone.

Only Georgiev and Nieves need new contracts. The following year both Staal and Smith will be gone. Lundqvist may be back but the cap hit will be far less.

You’ll have cap space at that point to decide what to do with Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Hajek and fill in the team with other complimentary players.

With Zibanejad, Panarin, Kakko and Kravtsov as your primary offensive pieces and Trouba, Miller, Fox, Lundkvist, Skjei, Hajek, Robertson and Rykov on the blue line you, there’s optimism the team needs complimentary pieces more than a binaries superstar, especially if the young guys meet or exceed expectations and you get a surprise or two.

Shattenkirk just signed with TB for 1.75 mil.

Boy, has anyone read the article on the Athletic? #Shattendeuces was salty as hell. I get it. He wanted to come to the Rangers and end his career. He took an "alleged" pay cut. But...

The 2014 Rangers roster was showing wear and tear. Gorton took over and realized, "Geezus, I gotta move some contracts now..."

Uncharacteristically, Jeff Gorton who was the former assistant GM in Boston was allowed to make a slew of necessary but unpopular moves: Mcdonagh, Miller, Zucc, Nash, Hayes, etc.

Shattenkirk's injury and playing on a roster depleted with mature talent, made him the odd man out.

I'm sure Gorton wanted to trade him but no team was going to get a Ranger franchise that just signed: Panarin, won the lottery rights to Kakko, and traded for one of the better defensemen on the market Trouba...more room to get better.

Now, Kevin gets a shot at a Cup. Go get one with Mcdonagh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    Boy, has anyone read the article on the Athletic? #Shattendeuces was salty as hell. I get it. He wanted to come to the Rangers and end his career. He took an "alleged" pay cut. But...

The 2014 Rangers roster was showing wear and tear. Gorton took over and realized, "Geezus, I gotta move some contracts now..."

Uncharacteristically, Jeff Gorton who was the former assistant GM in Boston was allowed to make a slew of necessary but unpopular moves: Mcdonagh, Miller, Zucc, Nash, Hayes, etc.

Shattenkirk's injury and playing on a roster depleted with mature talent, made him the odd man out.

I'm sure Gorton wanted to trade him but no team was going to get a Ranger franchise that just signed: Panarin, won the lottery rights to Kakko, and traded for one of the better defensemen on the market Trouba...more room to get better.

Now, Kevin gets a shot at a Cup. Go get one with Mcdonagh.
    I think at that time there were mixed messages about the direction of the team, I remember when they put the letter out, Sather was still clinging to the idea they would be competing for the playoffs...Gorton at one point had to explain after sather talked again it was a rebuild.

A few things that I pondered...

1. Are the rest of the teams starting to take the Rangers seriously? No one wanted to trade for Shattenkirk. Is Kevin really finished or is it just the opposition doesn't want New York to get better?

2. Why wasn't Staal bought out? He's a shadow of himself. Of the two, Kevin is clearly the more mobile defenseman.

3. Moving forward, can Kreider be moved? Wondering how much harder he is going to be moved...

Don’t think anyone has anything specifically against the Rangers benefiting from a trade, division rivals aside, but word got out that they were thinking about buying out Shattenkirk (thanks Larry), and teams decided they weren’t going to pay $3M and an asset when they could possibly just sign him for so much less. The Rangers put themselves in that vulnerable position to have to buy someone out.

It also doesn’t help that just about 90% of the league is within a few million dollars of the cap with some of those teams still needing to fit a big ticket RFA or two onto the payroll.

Regarding Staal, it seems that they believe he’s the most capable veteran to be able to log the tough defensive minutes. On top of that they value his leadership to the point where he was the only defenseman that was granted Quinn Bin immunity last season. It’s because of those two qualities that he still has a role on this roster, where Shattenkirk does not despite having a more tangibly positive overall on ice influence.

I would imagine Kreider, Namestnikov, and Strome have seen their trade value dip due to the league wide cap crunch as well as the Rangers’ individual cap situation. If you recall Sakic got roasted for holding on to Duchene for as long as he did, then he finally traded him a few weeks into the season. Meanwhile in hindsight he is one of the best GMs in the league. Hopefully Gorton can take advantage of a team that didn’t learn anything from Ottawa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by beast023 View Post
    Don’t think anyone has anything specifically against the Rangers benefiting from a trade, division rivals aside, but word got out that they were thinking about buying out Shattenkirk (thanks Larry), and teams decided they weren’t going to pay $3M and an asset when they could possibly just sign him for so much less. The Rangers put themselves in that vulnerable position to have to buy someone out.

It also doesn’t help that just about 90% of the league is within a few million dollars of the cap with some of those teams still needing to fit a big ticket RFA or two onto the payroll.

Regarding Staal, it seems that they believe he’s the most capable veteran to be able to log the tough defensive minutes. On top of that they value his leadership to the point where he was the only defenseman that was granted Quinn Bin immunity last season. It’s because of those two qualities that he still has a role on this roster, where Shattenkirk does not despite having a more tangibly positive overall on ice influence.

I would imagine Kreider, Namestnikov, and Strome have seen their trade value dip due to the league wide cap crunch as well as the Rangers’ individual cap situation. If you recall Sakic got roasted for holding on to Duchene for as long as he did, then he finally traded him a few weeks into the season. Meanwhile in hindsight he is one of the best GMs in the league. Hopefully Gorton can take advantage of a team that didn’t learn anything from Ottawa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty well said. Once the Rangers landed Trouba and Panarin, they lost all leverage in trade negotiations. Teams simply were not going to give up an asset when they could get that asset for cash alone. Only way was with a bidding war, and there simply wasn’t one. Shattenkirk was the only player that gave them that leverage back.

I can see them holding onto Kreider until the deadline until the playoff situation becomes a bit more clear. A team will be willing to give up a 1st for his services, though now you’re dealing with a bottom half of the first round selection.

Namestnikov and Strome will likely find new homes as well but the cap crunch may only yield 3rd round picks in return. Still good assets tho