Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn2timer View Post
    The "hate" on Lin is absolutely warranted IMO - With absolute certainty I can say that Lin was the very definition of a mediocre player. The dude literally couldn't dribble left, he's a point guard. He was putting up numbers in a juiced offense and horrible roster sans Melo/Amare. He was putting up numbers on a bad team, there are dozens of these instances in the league every year in cities that don't get the coverage we do. His infamy is very much a reflection of how little we've had to talk about with this team these last 20 years. The year after he left was pour most successful run in 20 years. But yeah lets focus on the 8 game February Linsanity stretch

He had a good stint and used it get overpaid and regressed right back to being average. He was never very good. Had the circus of Linsanity not followed him everywhere maybe he would've quietly stuck to some bench. But he can't because he's not good. He's 30 and out of the NBA despite just being on the championship roster. It's simple a pure lack of skill. Yet somehow this guy has been a lightening rod for 10 years on this forum for some perceived missed opportunity at greatness and the debate between selfish and selfless styles.

Didn't he sit out of the playoffs with some chest soreness? Haha the man got paid and is now crying about how he's not good enough to be in the NBA. Yeah, real sad story.
    Not re-signing Lin was one of the smartest things the Knicks did, even more so since he went out and renegotiated the contract to include a larger poison pill after the Knicks had already indicated they would match. He was never worth it and he's 100% a product of the NY hype.

It's crazy to me that people still bring him up. All they have to do is look at how the rest of his career played out. Actually...they don't even have to go that far. They can just look at how he played with the Knicks starting with that Miami game. That game was an embarrassment for an NBA PG. I've never seen anything like it at the professional level.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Years View Post
    Hahahahah you had to find a way to work KP into the convo.

First of all Melo was a selfish player. His actions and decisions show that on and off the court. Winning was never his primary concern.

I did not want the Knicks to trade for him because the price was too high for a soon to be free agent.

I did not want him to be resigned.

He did so many things on the court, backed up by his words that just did not endear him to be routed for.

And, if Melo had been a young player like KP, you could forgive. Like Trier. He plays a little bit of a selfish game, but if he is still the same in 3 or 4 years, then it is a problem.

KP was not selfish on the court and he prioritized winning. He reacted immaturly to some things that were going on, and Phil wanted to trade him for his insolence.

And the hate on Lin is unwarranted. You can't say with certainty that Lin's career would have taken same path if we had resigned him. This could have been a case where both parties may have done better together than apart.

What Melo did publicly insulting Lin over the contract offer was quite low. Especially in the light of his jealousy and disgruntled demeanor during and post Linsanity. Can't believe you would come on here like that. It is like you completely forgot that Melo was none too happy with all the shine Lin received and was quite deliberate in his selfishness when he came back from injury that season.

Like you I didn't want Melo in a trade and always said it was dumb not to wait three months and just go to a team and not strip it.

But the flip side is and fans always call it a Melo trade? We got Billups in the deal and history may be quite different right now if not for that injury as soon as we got him. And because Melo came we did JR so we added those three and let's be honest who that we traded had stella careers that would have changed the franchise?

The pick in that trade was Poeltl and there wasn't much after that so we probably pick him as well. It wasn't as devastating as fans and media make it out to be, and again if no injury to Billups who knows.

Lin? Made 66m over his career that he was just about to go to china...then he got thrown into a game because of 3 injuries and as amazing as that run was did it really prove he was worth in 2012 - 8.5m?
    His career stats are 11.6/4.3/2.8 not exactly anything to write home about now is it?

And I think if I recall Melo's comment was more team oriented on what Lin got paid and the lux tax implications which for the Knicks would have been 40m dollars.

Who pays that for a 35 game audition?

Now KP seems selective memory, there are actually pic's all over the internet of KP side by side with Melo comparing how the ball stops there. KP if anything else no one could say was a good ball mover, he actually was pretty bad.

As far as Melo's play when he had players around him didn't the ball move, how many open shots did Kidd get as well as mr double check?

The year after our win season, Melo had JR and who else to pass to? Felton at 31% - Chandler?, Bargnani at 27%, Shump at 33% and Meta at 31%? And yet he still had 3.1 assists?

We all know Melo held the ball but if you watched him in the olympic's he became the guy, the shooter, the rebounder, he even played defense....the problem is the Knicks never surrounded him with the right talent after the Kidd, Wallace, Camby year.

I mean some of the signings were just plain crap!

Dalembert, Shevd, Lance, amundson, Jason Smith, Calderon, Afflalo, Derek Williams, Vujecic, kevin Seraphin, Noah, Jennings and Rose

Think about the surrounding players we gave him over the years, not sure even Lebron could win with that bunch lol....

Again not saying he wasn't a black hole but I remember game posts where posters didn't want him passing the ball. but of course then he gets the blame.

just let me add, KP usage his third season was over 31%, Melo's last two seasons was under 30% and besides one year right around KP's usage.

It's all perception.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    just let me add, KP usage his third season was over 31%, Melo's last two seasons was under 30% and besides one year right around KP's usage.

It's all perception.
    Last two season as Knicks when he was pretty much a normal human or last two years when he played like a 50 year old pops.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Not re-signing Lin was one of the smartest things the Knicks did, even more so since he went out and renegotiated the contract to include a larger poison pill after the Knicks had already indicated they would match. He was never worth it and he's 100% a product of the NY hype.

It's crazy to me that people still bring him up. All they have to do is look at how the rest of his career played out. Actually...they don't even have to go that far. They can just look at how he played with the Knicks starting with that Miami game. That game was an embarrassment for an NBA PG. I've never seen anything like it at the professional level.
    Thats true lol but all we ever hear about is the melo and now kp trade but our front office has dodged a couple bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    To me, this is a Front Office leak that is a lame attempt to say, "Yeah we were going to mend fences and blame it all on Phil. Steve Mills is a virgin when it came to tough situations..."

As a minority, I was amused that for the first and only time I heard another minority call a contract, "Ridiculous" when it came to Lin...yet, NO ONE ushered the word ridiculous when Jerome James' contract, Erik Dampier's contract, Tristan Thompson's contract...the list goes on.

If there's ONE rule in America, it's that every man and woman of every race, culture, age, etc has the right to make as much money as possible.

Melo basically coming out and saying, "Well, I should have an impact on what other players should be paid based upon the fact that I'm a star." NAw. That's not right. Really stupid.

Karma is a b#%ch. Lin has a championship ring. Melo is applying to work at a Starbucks to get his points after the Stephen A. Smith show.
    Yep karma got Melo for sure, he forced Lin out and than Mike D, and Mike D ended his career lol.

So now we should judge Lin on one game vs the best perimeter defense in the NBA at the time?

And what's all this overpaid stuff?

The Knicks have overpaid every free agent we have gotten our hands on, but no one says anything about it.

Lin didnt jabe a great career after he left, but constantly being stuck on bad teams with iso scorers didnt help either.

Fact is he was good young point guard, and IMO had he not been Chinese he would of got much better opportunities and contracts.

This is the same nonsense I'm hearing about Brogdon, he's paid to much. You have to pay for a pg on their prime, or you get to watch your team go no where.

Paying lin would not of hurt us one bit , the old bums we been trying to put in at PG jas been a failure each and every season since he's been gone.

Bum after bum after bum, but don't say Lin or brogdon because they cost too much, lol, well don't complain when we don't have a PG.

Also, confidence is a big part of how players perform. If Knicks had kept Lin and he stayed comfortable, his confidence may have turned him into a different player.

Lin did not want to go to Houston. Knicks front office told him to get the best offer he could and they would match.

If Melo had let it be known that he liked Lin and at least respected him, I don't think Knicks let him walk. But, when Melo said what he said openly, imagine what he was saying away from the cameras.

Yea he ruined the Knicks by driving future Hall of Fame point guard Lin and Multiple championship winning coach D Antoni out of town
    I guess if you're gonna pick some strawmen, these would be it.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeYourL View Post
    So now we should judge Lin on one game vs the best perimeter defense in the NBA at the time?

And what's all this overpaid stuff?

The Knicks have overpaid every free agent we have gotten our hands on, but no one says anything about it.

Lin didnt jabe a great career after he left, but constantly being stuck on bad teams with iso scorers didnt help either.

Fact is he was good young point guard, and IMO had he not been Chinese he would of got much better opportunities and contracts.

This is the same nonsense I'm hearing about Brogdon, he's paid to much. You have to pay for a pg on their prime, or you get to watch your team go no where.

Paying lin would not of hurt us one bit , the old bums we been trying to put in at PG jas been a failure each and every season since he's been gone.

Bum after bum after bum, but don't say Lin or brogdon because they cost too much, lol, well don't complain when we don't have a PG.
    Brogdon is actually good. In how many ever years Lin has played, what has he done outside of 8 games or so to make you think he was more than a decent backup PG?

The players you defend vs. the players you bash is very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Years View Post
    Also, confidence is a big part of how players perform. If Knicks had kept Lin and he stayed comfortable, his confidence may have turned him into a different player.

Lin did not want to go to Houston. Knicks front office told him to get the best offer he could and they would match.

If Melo had let it be known that he liked Lin and at least respected him, I don't think Knicks let him walk. But, when Melo said what he said openly, imagine what he was saying away from the cameras.
    Why do you guys think that Lin was good? I dont get it. Are you saying these same things about Mike James? He at least did it for a full season.

Take your feelings out of it. Lin has already proven he wasnt that good. Why are we still debating this when we can actually look back and see?
    Last edited by smood999; 08-05-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Id rather talk to Nando and Badman than some of yall on here. Broken records and spouting nonsense.

Brogdon is actually good. In how many ever years Lin has played, what has he done outside of 8 games or so to make you think he was more than a decent backup PG?

The players you defend vs. the players you bash is very confusing.
    Lin has had Solid seasons besides in NY, maybe not the star level he had in NY but that doesn't matter, in NY he was very good and better than any other PG we have had since him.

Lin was on mostly terrible teams, or stuck with iso guys, BUT on this team in Mikes system he was a stud, to even try to defend letting him go over a few bucks is ridiculous.

We had a young prime PG who fit the system, and could win games, and run the offense, and we haven't sniffed another one since.

He got overpaid but you guys want to defend us overpaying 8 power forwards. If I'm going to overpay, I'll pay a PG 10 times out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeYourL View Post
    Lin has had Solid seasons besides in NY, maybe not the star level he had in NY but that doesn't matter, in NY he was very good and better than any other PG we have had since him.

Lin was on mostly terrible teams, or stuck with iso guys, BUT on this team in Mikes system he was a stud, to even try to defend letting him go over a few bucks is ridiculous.

We had a young prime PG who fit the system, and could win games, and run the offense, and we haven't sniffed another one since.

He got overpaid but you guys want to defend us overpaying 8 power forwards. If I'm going to overpay, I'll pay a PG 10 times out of 10.
    He was only a stud for 12 or so games, not an entire season...not even a quarter of the season. You refuse to acknowledge good seasons from players because they are on bad teams, yet 12 games is being a stud?

How did you get that from this?

And if you're being sarcastic, who said they didn't want two max guys? The issue is they didn't want us. Some of you are still too butt hurt to get that. But yea fire Mills cause they think we suck. We should get someone like PhilJ, LarryB, Isiah, you know someone players will respect and hope that works instead of building a competent team and winning ball games
    It may be hard to remember because you guys always change the narrative to defend the front office but one of the major talking point on defending the FO is that the KP trade wasn't about cap and that they are doing the smart thing because KD is old and Kyrie gets hurt all the time. In other words giving them credit for not star chasing. Which they clearly wanted to do.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast