Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Years View Post
    How about basketball reference?

Lakers went 28-14 in second half of that season.

15-6 in their last 21 regular season games. Showing they were getting better.

But facts don't matter when all you care about are your feelings.

Hahahahah
    well you made me check and the schedule same as the Knicks when we were 17-14 two years ago was very favorable and they beat in the 28 games:
    Minny twice, Atlanta, Hornets twice, Bulls twice, Magic, Kings Mav's twice, Grizz suns Bobcats, Nets= 15 easy games

But forgetting that a win is a win, why did they get swept in four straight in round one of the playoffs? Isn't that where it counts the most at the end of the season? So that 28-14 got them swept according to basketball reference lol

And the following year with Pau they went 27-55, I guess that don't count right? No Kobe but still enough there that even Pau didn't want to play for him?

How about basketball reference?

Lakers went 28-14 in second half of that season.

15-6 in their last 21 regular season games. Showing they were getting better.

But facts don't matter when all you care about are your feelings.

Hahahahah
    The whole point was that Kobe, Gasol, etc. did not accept his system. They did not buy in. The difference in record was due to talent on the team. Kobe is going to get a team to 45 wins in his prime surrounded by Gasol, Nash, and Howard. That team severely underachieved and Kobe ran him out of town while recovering from injury the next year.

This whole conversation started with how D'Antoni can't adapt and that every main player who wasn't a PG or a PnR big man bumped heads with him because he refused to run his offense through them as most great coaches would. What does the Lakers record have to do with this when his stint there is deemed a failure almost universally? Stay on topic. Melo, Kobe, Gasol, Howard, CP3 all had issues playing his way. What adjustment have you ever seen him make to cater to the best players on his team when necessary? Can you justify taking the ball out of any of their hands? Isn't adjusting to the personnel and catering a system around the best players on the team something that even the lowest level of coaches should do?

The guy admitted in interviews that he basically didn't have control of that Lakers team because Kobe and Gasol weren't buying in, yet you want to credit him? He's not even taking the credit and considers it a failure himself.
    Last edited by smood999; 08-07-2019 at 10:35 AM.

I wish we had a coach that was failing like Dantoni did that first year in LA.
    we had better in Woodson didn't we? Check BB reference lol

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    we had better in Woodson didn't we? Check BB reference lol
    Woodson was a good not great coach but couldn't get past feeding Melos ego in every situation. We have plenty of documentation on that in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    The whole point was that Kobe, Gasol, etc. did not accept his system. They did not buy in. The difference in record was due to talent on the team. Kobe is going to get a team to 45 wins in his prime surrounded by Gasol, Nash, and Howard. That team severely underachieved and Kobe ran him out of town while recovering from injury the next year.

This whole conversation started with how D'Antoni can't adapt and that every main player who wasn't a PG or a PnR big man bumped heads with him because he refused to run his offense through them as most great coaches would. What does the Lakers record have to do with this when his stint there is deemed a failure almost universally? Stay on topic. Melo, Kobe, Gasol, Howard, CP3 all had issues playing his way. What adjustment have you ever seen him make to cater to the best players on his team when necessary? Can you justify taking the ball out of any of their hands? Isn't adjusting to the personnel and catering a system around the best players on the team something that even the lowest level of coaches should do?

The guy admitted in interviews that he basically didn't have control of that Lakers team because Kobe and Gasol weren't buying in, yet you want to credit him? He's not even taking the credit and considers it a failure himself.
    I swear sometimes it seems like you deliberately don't want to see what is implied by the comments.

I was saying that DESPITE the players not accepting the system, they were on track to do great. Losing Kobe meant so much because they didn't have any kind of depth behind him. Kobe was the one irreplaceable player on that team.

As you were questioning how good a coach Dantoni was, it was a relevant point.

Again. Leave the emotional knee jerks at the door as they only cloud your mind from seeing clearly.

Read your preposterous response in comparison to a 66% win rate in last half of that season for Lakers and nearly 75% win rate in last quarter of season for that team. That is a direct reflection of my statement that they were improving and playing great ball heading into playoffs.

I swear sometimes it seems like you deliberately don't want to see what is implied by the comments.

I was saying that DESPITE the players not accepting the system, they were on track to do great. Losing Kobe meant so much because they didn't have any kind of depth behind him. Kobe was the one irreplaceable player on that team.

As you were questioning how good a coach Dantoni was, it was a relevant point.

Again. Leave the emotional knee jerks at the door as they only cloud your mind from seeing clearly.

Read your preposterous response in comparison to a 66% win rate in last half of that season for Lakers and nearly 75% win rate in last quarter of season for that team. That is a direct reflection of my statement that they were improving and playing great ball heading into playoffs.
    If they didn't buy-in, what's the point? That's what the whole conversation is about - him not being able to adjust and players having issues with him and not buying in.

How is them not buying in not a poor reflection on D'Antoni's coaching? What am I failing to see clearly?
    Last edited by smood999; 08-07-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    If they didn't buy-in, what's the point? That's what the whole conversation is about - him not being able to adjust and players having issues with him and not buying in.

How is them not buying in not a poor reflection on D'Antoni's coaching? What am I failing to see clearly?
    Because not buying in.is influenced by other things that don't reflect coaching abilities.

Look at Cleveland and the coach they got rid of. That was a great coach. But LeBron wanted to be King. Not buying in and the quality or ability of the coach are not a direct relationship.

Again, Jackson and Kobe at times didn't even speak to each other and they were still winning rings.

You can't use buying in/ not buying in as a measure of a coach.

Fizdale was a good coach in Memphis that butted heads the wrong way with Gasol and was let go. Gasol didn't buy in.

Last year is a scratch because he was intentionally tanking. This year will determine if he is right coach for this team. Also, last year's team bought in to Fizdale's system but they won very little.

Because not buying in.is influenced by other things that don't reflect coaching abilities.

Look at Cleveland and the coach they got rid of. That was a great coach. But LeBron wanted to be King. Not buying in and the quality or ability of the coach are not a direct relationship.

Again, Jackson and Kobe at times didn't even speak to each other and they were still winning rings.

You can't use buying in/ not buying in as a measure of a coach.

Fizdale was a good coach in Memphis that butted heads the wrong way with Gasol and was let go. Gasol didn't buy in.

Last year is a scratch because he was intentionally tanking. This year will determine if he is right coach for this team. Also, last year's team bought in to Fizdale's system but they won very little.
    In D'Antoni's case the not buying is was because of his failure to adjust his offense around the best players on the team. The situations you mentioned were mostly about ego. Kobe wasn't going rogue, he thought that he was Jordan and that he just should've gotten more touches than Shaq. However, there's a big difference with a coach wanting his players to defer to Shaq than what's gone on with D'Antoni. There's also a difference with a player not getting along with a coach and pushing back, while still doing what is asked and a player completely blowing a coach off.

Also, Kobe already admitted this and blamed it on youth and arrogance. Compare that with him taking shots at D'Antoni, the person who was the reason he wore number 8 in the first place, and calling his system "********." He never went that far with Jackson. None of these examples went that far.

I think you will find that both Kobe and Dantoni are stubborn.

Kobe's primary beef with Dantoni was not personal but basketball philosophical. And it was clearly based on the defensive philosophy as was stated many times in the news.

If Kobe stays healthy, winning cures a lot of what was disputed and history is different. Even Dwight's baggage starts to disappear.

But fortune turns on a single play.

I think you will find that both Kobe and Dantoni are stubborn.

Kobe's primary beef with Dantoni was not personal but basketball philosophical. And it was clearly based on the defensive philosophy as was stated many times in the news.

If Kobe stays healthy, winning cures a lot of what was disputed and history is different. Even Dwight's baggage starts to disappear.

But fortune turns on a single play.
    It clearly wasn't on the defensive side when Kobe himself highlighted the small ball approach offensively and with D'Antoni complaining about Kobe's shooting (selection and volume). Again, these things are all documented. I'm not sure where you're getting defense from. Even Howard's complaints were on the offensive side of the ball.

These things happened and Kobe and D'Antoni have both spoken publicly about this. When D'Antoni says Kobe had issues with his system and didn't buy in, he's not talking about defense. What defensive system does D'Antoni have?
    Last edited by smood999; 08-07-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Is it October yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn2timer View Post
    Is it October yet?
    Every time I look at the list of threads, that is exactly what I think of. Can't wait for the new season to get here.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567