Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by nicnac View Post
    You really believe that! What makes these players so much more fragile than the superstars of yester year?
    Nothing just babied, and I do understand back to back games but you know how they rested guys back in the day?
    Every single team in the NBA good, bad, great, horrible are involved in blowouts, these superstars and even starters got to sit entire quarters and play around 20 points on multiple nights.

To say you don't need Lebron to beat a bottom feeder historically has not be correct, teams actually do lose games, which then makes the final standings and teams vying for playoff positioning a bit skewed.

I remember Clyde saying his Knicks never wanted to not play, never wanted a day off, and even when Red pulled the starters that just gave them more motivation to play harder.

Funny how the NBA realizes this is an issue then made a rule about it, but guys like POP figured out the loop hole and the rest of the teams follow his lead. Injury recovery I believe is the latest excuse not to play a guy, but the next game that player will get nearly 40 minutes lol.....

And if anything these athletes are better trained, there is a lot more technology to the training routines, players are now bigger, stronger, faster, and let's be honest players today take plays off.

I haven't seen one reason that changes my mind about players needing games off. At what really adds insult is when POP sits 3 or more guys the same game, at the very least that needs to stop, how many players can be on injury recovery lol.

I would counter the injury recovery day with okay but the next game your maxed at 20 min, we don't want to risk a season long injury if you were recovering and your coach now needs to play you over 35 min???

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    Nothing just babied, and I do understand back to back games but you know how they rested guys back in the day?
    Every single team in the NBA good, bad, great, horrible are involved in blowouts, these superstars and even starters got to sit entire quarters and play around 20 points on multiple nights.

To say you don't need Lebron to beat a bottom feeder historically has not be correct, teams actually do lose games, which then makes the final standings and teams vying for playoff positioning a bit skewed.

I remember Clyde saying his Knicks never wanted to not play, never wanted a day off, and even when Red pulled the starters that just gave them more motivation to play harder.

Funny how the NBA realizes this is an issue then made a rule about it, but guys like POP figured out the loop hole and the rest of the teams follow his lead. Injury recovery I believe is the latest excuse not to play a guy, but the next game that player will get nearly 40 minutes lol.....

And if anything these athletes are better trained, there is a lot more technology to the training routines, players are now bigger, stronger, faster, and let's be honest players today take plays off.

I haven't seen one reason that changes my mind about players needing games off. At what really adds insult is when POP sits 3 or more guys the same game, at the very least that needs to stop, how many players can be on injury recovery lol.

I would counter the injury recovery day with okay but the next game your maxed at 20 min, we don't want to risk a season long injury if you were recovering and your coach now needs to play you over 35 min???
    I didn't say you needed him to beat them, although you probably don't - The outcome is irrelevant in April for the Lakers. Although an extra close eye on seeding in the West this year is likely. But then if teams end up suffering because of it with respect to seeding you have a natural cure to the issue.
    Again besides you guys being jealous I don't really see the issue.

I do agree the resting of multiple people at once is a bit much. Although its happened maybe 4 times total in the era of this controversy. There's close to 1300 games a year w/ playoffs. Plus I believe there are fines for resting during national games etc.

The Problem

Over the course of the 82-game season, it is understandable that a player may need rest. The sport of basketball can be physically taxing. Perhaps not to the extent of some other mainstream sports like football and hockey but it still puts a lot of wear and tear on your body. When it comes to rest, I believe there are times and places where players should get it. If a player is looking for the best time to rest, then why not sit out the home games?

Teams play 41 times a season in front of their home crowd so if a player were to sit out 1, 2, 5, or 10 games, then the fans in the area would still have at least 31 opportunities to see their favorite players. When you sit out a road game, that may be the only time a fan in that city can see their favorite star player in person. In the NBA, teams only play out of conference opponents one time on the road and in conference opponents a maximum of two times on the road during the regular season.

Personally, I believe that when you sign your contract there is an unspoken agreement to be available to play 82 regular season games with 88 days off during the season, unless you’re injured or there are extenuating personal circumstances. There are also expectations to play up to 28 playoff games with 38 days off in there before going into the two- to three-month offseason.

Financial Issues

The NBA has a problem with sit outs when they happen on nationally televised games. Sitting out a random Tuesday evening game is a big deal to the fans, let alone a primetime game on Saturday. The support of the fans is what makes the salaries possible because without popularity and people wanting to come see the game the NBA wouldn't be able to sell tickets, which in turn would lower the amount distributed back into the pockets of the owners and players. TV networks sign deals for broadcast rights on national TV expecting a certain product.

In 2014, the NBA signed a nine-year, 24 billion dollar TV rights deal with TNT and ESPN/ABC. The money from the deal led to an increase in the salary cap from $67.1 million to $89 million from the 2015-16 season to the following one and is expected to be $108 million by the 2017-18 season. This will lead to greater player salaries. The average salary this season is up to $5.15 million. If networks can't be certain that the best product available will be given to them, then they may want to reevaluate their TV contract. If fans can't ensure that the best product available won't be on the court, then maybe they would want a refund or stop going to regular season games altogether. If people turn off their TVs and stop coming to the games, there would be a decrease in player salaries (players get a 50% share of revenue) and I don't think players want that.

NBA tickets aren't exactly cheap either. In order to bring a family of four to a game, it would cost a person roughly $216 on average, not including the parking or if you wanted to eat anything while there. The Lakers and Knicks would cost over $400 in the same scenario; that's a lot of money for a potentially uncertain product.

Competitive Issues

Resting players also has effects on competitive balance. A team may rest players during the heat of a playoff race where one game could decide whether they go on to the next round. When you rest players you are intentionally not fielding the best team available for a given game.

Solutions

1. Shorter NBA Season:

There are small steps being taken to prevent the need for rest. The NBA will start the 2017-18 season ten days earlier. This will give players 98 scheduled days off during the season. A better solution would be cutting the season to 60 games. It would lead to an ideal schedule in terms of preventing fatigue. It is widely believed that the NBA season has too many meaningless games.

82 games is really an arbitrary number. Schedules are unbalanced and no team has the same in-conference, non-division schedule. Cutting the season down would have monetary drawbacks. TV deals would have to be restructured because there aren't as many games to choose from. Players would have to be okay with taking smaller salaries because 20 fewer games should see a decrease in stadium revenue. Any organization or team that is for resting players should also be okay with making less money. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

2. Changing the Meaning of DNP Rest:

Injuries are a part of basketball or any sport for that matter. Missing games because of injuries is uncontrollable. If DNP rest could be looked at as an injury with consequences, it would change how coaches use this tactic. If a player sits out due to rest, he needs to be on the injured list. If you're on the injury list, you must be inactive for at least a week. On average that would cause a player 3-4 games.

3. Limiting Player Minutes:

Another option would be limiting minutes or changing rotations for a couple of games. If a player typically plays 35 minutes a night, maybe play them for 20 minutes in the next game. Over time, the fewer minutes that played would build rest time up to be nearly the equivalent of sitting out a game. This would still give the fans more games to watch them play.

"Personally, I believe that when you sign your contract there is an unspoken agreement to be available to play 82 regular season games with 88 days off during the season, unless you’re injured or there are extenuating personal circumstances."

Great who cares what this person believes about the unspoken agreements of contracts. You're completely ignoring the strategic importance of load management and just treating its like its an excess vacation problem

What I'd like to see is a list of the confirmed abuses. Or examples of multiple people sitting out. Or even confirmed rest days on national TV games. Let's define the problem. Again my whole point has been, this isn't as big of problem as its being made out to be. Seems to be just jealous fans lol.
    Just saying the players and league makes more so the burden should be higher isn't much of an argument. Sports salaries have been out of whack for decades now. That's the market at work. There's a high premium on entertainment.

This really does seem like a personal problem. You know your bored when your complaining about "load management"

Jealous!?! Of what?!? When I spend 500+ to see supposedly Dirk's last game and he isn't even in the building and then there are at times 9 players that I can identify, playing at the same time, and then 1 of them is in the elevator retrieving his car with his family , yes, siting players is a problem, and yes, that year, the magic and Mavs where TANKING

BUT

If your descrisenary (spelling) income allows for this, good for you and those that support it.

There is no middle ground, either you don't mind spending your money this way or you do.

For me, I don't miss not renewing my season Tix. This makes it easier
    Last edited by nicnac; 08-15-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBrotha View Post
    This really does seem like a personal problem. You know your bored when your complaining about "load management"
    google it, seems to be a league wide and fan base issue.

Quote Originally Posted by nicnac View Post
    Jealous!?! Of what?!? When I spend 500+ to see supposedly Dirk's last game and he isn't even in the building and then there are at times 9 players that I can identify, playing at the same time, and then 1 of them is in the elevator retrieving his car with his family , yes, siting players is a problem, and yes, that year, the magic and Mavs where TANKING

BUT

If your descrisenary (spelling) income allows for this, good for you and those that support it.

There is no middle ground, either you don't mind spending your money this way or you do.

For me, I don't miss not renewing my season Tix. This makes it easier
    Good, so the system works. If enough people agree with you, that will continue to happen and prices will come down or the NBA will increase the penalties for missing games. But again good luck trying to prove a player isn't hurt or feeling well.
    Last edited by Shawn2timer; 08-16-2019 at 01:58 PM.

I want an shortened NBA season...and I want the franchise CEO/owners to lock out the NBA players and force them to take less as well. Less games = Less pay.

But we all know, the players will never take one red cent less which is why many of these chumps live in Republican controlled low taxed, Red States (during the off-season) with the exception a few mega stars in the $200M club that have a home in almost every state but donate less than Starbucks regional manager when it comes to city low income housing, Boys Club, or any kind of infrastructure.

Player collusion is killing the NBA in modest, lunchpail cities like Detroit who won 3 NBA championships over its existence with some of the most underrated players in history...forcing legacy cities like Philly to adopt "tanking philosophies" just to land 2 franchise guys out of 5 lottery drafts...and ultimately sealing the fate of New Orleans, Memphis, Indiana, etc where the GM has maybe 2-3 seasons to build a championship contender before their star wants to leave for a team of HIS choosing....and then there's the Knicks....

Dolan will never let the Knicks build how the Pistons built their championship roster. Dolan likes STARS.

Dolan will never attract megastars because the humiliation of Charles Oakley, Carmelo Anthony, and inability to make Porzingis want to stick around is FRESH in their minds.

One way or another the Knicks must wake up and smell the coffee: Free agency is a bust. It's the draft and maybe a mid to lower-tier talent to fill-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    I want an shortened NBA season...and I want the franchise CEO/owners to lock out the NBA players and force them to take less as well. Less games = Less pay.

But we all know, the players will never take one red cent less which is why many of these chumps live in Republican controlled low taxed, Red States (during the off-season) with the exception a few mega stars in the $200M club that have a home in almost every state but donate less than Starbucks regional manager when it comes to city low income housing, Boys Club, or any kind of infrastructure.

Player collusion is killing the NBA in modest, lunchpail cities like Detroit who won 3 NBA championships over its existence with some of the most underrated players in history...forcing legacy cities like Philly to adopt "tanking philosophies" just to land 2 franchise guys out of 5 lottery drafts...and ultimately sealing the fate of New Orleans, Memphis, Indiana, etc where the GM has maybe 2-3 seasons to build a championship contender before their star wants to leave for a team of HIS choosing....and then there's the Knicks....

Dolan will never let the Knicks build how the Pistons built their championship roster. Dolan likes STARS.

Dolan will never attract megastars because the humiliation of Charles Oakley, Carmelo Anthony, and inability to make Porzingis want to stick around is FRESH in their minds.

One way or another the Knicks must wake up and smell the coffee: Free agency is a bust. It's the draft and maybe a mid to lower-tier talent to fill-in.
    You love posting about them but then call them chumps. Am I the only one confused by this?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123