Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm seeing a lot of Yankees predictions out of the AL in this thread. I'm curious as to why. With their inferior starting pitching, why should they be favored in a series against Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of Yankees predictions out of the AL in this thread. I'm curious as to why. With their inferior starting pitching, why should they be favored in a series against Houston?
    Anyone can win in a 4 out of 7 game set. The Yankees have a very good lineup and the best bullpen in baseball. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they beat you guys in the ALCS (if of course both teams met up there). Houston is the favorite but its not overwhelming. The Twins, Indians, Yankees, are all formidable competition imo.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Anyone can win in a 4 out of 7 game set. The Yankees have a very good lineup and the best bullpen in baseball. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they beat you guys in the ALCS (if of course both teams met up there). Houston is the favorite but its not overwhelming. The Twins, Indians, Yankees, are all formidable competition imo.
    I get that the postseason is a little different and there's an opportunity for variation on any given day. A great lineup can look mediocre, an elite starting pitcher can miss spots on a few pitches, etc. But predictions are usually based on something a little more tangible than "this thing COULD happen because anything CAN happen." I'm not saying the Yankees winning is an impossibility, far from it. I'm saying, why am I seeing the Yankees listed in this thread more than the Astros, when the Astros have the superior team right now on paper? If we're going into the postseason, why should I think the Yankees are likely to win that series?

I do think homefield advantage will play a huge role if that series happens. Unlike previous years where Houston was a superior team on the road, they're playing much better baseball at Minute Maid this season than on the road. The Yankees are the same. Given how easy the 'Stros schedule is the rest of the season, I like their chances to finish with the best record in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I get that the postseason is a little different and there's an opportunity for variation on any given day. A great lineup can look mediocre, an elite starting pitcher can miss spots on a few pitches, etc. But predictions are usually based on something a little more tangible than "this thing COULD happen because anything CAN happen." I'm not saying the Yankees winning is an impossibility, far from it. I'm saying, why am I seeing the Yankees listed in this thread more than the Astros, when the Astros have the superior team right now on paper? If we're going into the postseason, why should I think the Yankees are likely to win that series?

I do think homefield advantage will play a huge role if that series happens. Unlike previous years where Houston was a superior team on the road, they're playing much better baseball at Minute Maid this season than on the road. The Yankees are the same. Given how easy the 'Stros schedule is the rest of the season, I like their chances to finish with the best record in baseball.
    I would favor Houston, regardless of home field just bc of their 3 aces. Astros SP is miles better than the Yanks. But I think the Yankees have the better lineup and bullpen. Yanks also have the best record vs winning teams in all of baseball.

Yankees and Astros both have easy remaining schedules. Yankees remaining opponents have a .485 win %, Astros remaining opponents have a .467 win %.

As for home/road. Definitely think home field will be beneficial for both teams. Both teams have been absolutely dominant at home, but still very good on the road.

Should be a good series like 2 yrs ago, if they both advance, and best record will likely come down to the final few days.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I would favor Houston, regardless of home field just bc of their 3 aces. Astros SP is miles better than the Yanks. But I think the Yankees have the better lineup and bullpen. Yanks also have the best record vs winning teams in all of baseball.
    Is the Yankees' lineup that much better than Houston's, though? As a team, Houston has the higher batting average (.275 vs. .272), OBP (.350 vs. .345) and OPS (.839 vs. .831). The Astros top seven hitters all have an average OPS over .870, and their No. 7 hitter right now might just be the hottest hitter in all of baseball.

And their records against teams that are .500 or better are pretty damn close:
    Houston: 41-26
    New York: 38-23

Yankees and Astros both have easy remaining schedules. Yankees remaining opponents have a .485 win %, Astros remaining opponents have a .467 win %.

As for home/road. Definitely think home field will be beneficial for both teams. Both teams have been absolutely dominant at home, but still very good on the road.

Should be a good series like 2 yrs ago, if they both advance, and best record will likely come down to the final few days.
    Agreed that the series would be close. I definitely hope we get a rematch!

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I'd like another rematch with the same outcome .

Game 5 of the 2017 World Series was one of the most entertaining games I've ever watched.
    In my opinion the 2017 WS was one for the ages, although game 7 wasnt that close unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
    In my opinion the 2017 WS was one for the ages, although game 7 wasnt that close unfortunately.
    1991 and 2001 were even better.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    1991 and 2001 were even better.
    Game 7 2001 sucked

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123