Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I'm aware that it's only the preseason, but Hakeem Butler has only one reception for six yards after two preseason games. There were so many people in here acting like he was the second coming of Calvin Johnson that furious that SF took Deebo Samuel, then Jalen Hurd, with Butler still on the board. We'll have to revisit this when the games actually count, but I'm confident that at the end of the season we'll see much more production from both Deebo and Hurd than Butler.

Mike Person spotted on crutches with a walking boot after today's practice. Not good news for an already thin offensive line group.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Mike Person spotted on crutches with a walking boot after today's practice. Not good news for an already thin offensive line group.
    Supposedly just a foot strain and he's day to day, so relatively good news there.

Ross Dwelley is this year's bottom of the roster guy I'm excited about. It sounds like he's done some good things in camp in Kittle's absence, his blocking was a concern last year but if he can improve there he could offer a decent upgrade over Celek as a receiver which is big considering the amount Shanny likes to roll out 2 TE sets.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
    Supposedly just a foot strain and he's day to day, so relatively good news there.
    Saw that. Sounds like Garnett is going to return to practice this week, which is going to be a make or break week for him. He needs to prove that he can be a reliable backup if he wants to make the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
    Ross Dwelley is this year's bottom of the roster guy I'm excited about. It sounds like he's done some good things in camp in Kittle's absence, his blocking was a concern last year but if he can improve there he could offer a decent upgrade over Celek as a receiver which is big considering the amount Shanny likes to roll out 2 TE sets.
    I'm not sure that I would call him a "bottom of the roster guy." All reports seem to indicate that he has the #2 TE spot locked up. I agree with your point though, Dwelley should be an upgrade over Celek. Sounds like Levine Toilolo, Kaden Smith, and Tyree Mayfield are all playing for the third TE spot, if they even keep three TEs. Considering Juice or Hurd could line up at TE in a pinch if there is an injury, the team might opt to keep only two TEs.

One guy to keep an eye on is Daniel Brunskill. He was an undrafted free agent in 2017 and spent the past two years on Atlanta's practice squad. In college, he spent his first three years at TE before shifting to RT as a senior where he only allowed one sack. He had a solid first preseason game and, with Shon Coleman's injury, has a legitimate shot at the backup swing tackle spot on the 53 man roster.

I'm not sure that I would call him a "bottom of the roster guy." All reports seem to indicate that he has the #2 TE spot locked up. I agree with your point though, Dwelley should be an upgrade over Celek. Sounds like Levine Toilolo, Kaden Smith, and Tyree Mayfield are all playing for the third TE spot, if they even keep three TEs. Considering Juice or Hurd could line up at TE in a pinch if there is an injury, the team might opt to keep only two TEs.
    More like he barely stayed with the team last year, and so coming in to camp he was definitely coming up on a tough fight to make the team. Something it seems he won early in camp.

To me guys who come in with no name or draft status who then show up big early are always encouraging because it means they are putting in the work, have some serious drive, and some natural aptitude.

One guy to keep an eye on is Daniel Brunskill. He was an undrafted free agent in 2017 and spent the past two years on Atlanta's practice squad. In college, he spent his first three years at TE before shifting to RT as a senior where he only allowed one sack. He had a solid first preseason game and, with Shon Coleman's injury, has a legitimate shot at the backup swing tackle spot on the 53 man roster.
    I've been disappointing with how the line has developed players. The best teams seem to be able to develop unheralded OL players into solid players ... I hope the 49ers have finally found a coaching staff and a group of players who can finally put it together with some consistency. With this group it looks like it's going to be critical because they have too many players who can't stay healthy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234