Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    I love the outrage over Baker's Daniel Jones comment coming from Giants fans. He said what every one of them thought at the draft, but now it's blasphemy.
    The "quote" floating around is out of context at best and fabricated at worst. He referred to many different QBs by name in the same "winning" statement, including himself.

“Just things taken out of context,” Mayfield told reporters of an interview he said took place in April. “That’s the problem with today’s day and age — you don’t read the whole thing, you don’t put two and two together, you just kind of read the scripts and people, you know, they combine sentences from different conversations. So it seemed very disrespectful and I can understand that. But what people didn’t realize is the conversation entailed of me saying that I was surprised that I was drafted No. 1 overall too, and then me going on a rant after that about QB evaluation and then me, frustration from the recruiting processes — it’s very well documented my thoughts on a lot of that.
    First 4 years:
    Brown - 54 GP, 27 GS, 261 catches (63.3%) for 3,561 yds (8.6 AVG), 15 TD
    Landry - 64 GP, 57 GS, 400 catches (70.2%) for 4,038 yds (10.1 AVG), 22 TD

Huh. Wonder why Landry is getting paid so much...

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Dede Westbrook:

″Nothing against Blake at all. But to be out there with Nick, a Super Bowl MVP quarterback, that’s what we’ve been lacking. To go out there and showcase my skill with one of the best quarterbacks in the league is going to be a huge thing. I really have high expectations not only for myself but for this team,″ Westbrook said. ″With Nick, he makes it a lot easier. Whenever you are running routes, you’re able to go into the ball and don’t have to slow down to catch it in stride and go. That’s a big thing. With Nick even when we miss, he’s the type of person that reloads that play and does it over again to the point where he gets that timing down. You don’t find many quarterback like that.″

Interesting move, because if Dede were to not do well this year now it is kind of on him. He's on the record saying he has everything he needs at QB, so he has to perform well.

Also liked the "nothing against Blake" and then saying how he had to slow down because the ball was so far behind him with how terrible Blake was at QB, lol.
    First 4 years:

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

[Schefter] Cardinals released former Bears first-round pick, WR Kevin White, per source. White has recovered from the hamstring injury that kept him out of action for over the past week.

Man, he was the next big thing a year or two ago it seemed like. I guess blowing up your leg multiple times will do that.
    First 4 years:

-Scott van Pelt

The XFL has revealed their team names:

New York Guardians
    D.C. Defenders
    Tampa Bay Vipers
    St. Louis BattleHawks
    Dallas Renegades
    Houston Roughnecks
    Los Angeles Wildcats
    Seattle Dragons

Notice the similarity between the NY and DC names. I guess the teams' PR departments didn't confer with each other. {LOL} At least it's better than what the CFL did -- having two teams called the Roughriders (but that's Canada for you).

Those are some terrible names.

Wildcats always makes me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE6ffjNDeEI

Those are some terrible names.

Wildcats always makes me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE6ffjNDeEI
    Wildcats makes me think of Northwestern U. LA could have done a lot better.

that's just it....with all the professional teams in all the sports plus all the college teams in all the sports, it's gotta get tough to be original...................that said, Guardians and Defenders WTH
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Some of the logos are pretty bad, too.

The Houston one is an Oilers ripoff.

Dallas and Seattle are pretty good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    The "quote" floating around is out of context at best and fabricated at worst. He referred to many different QBs by name in the same "winning" statement, including himself.

Near our booth, a SportsCenter segment about the New York Giants catches Mayfield's eye. “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones,” Mayfield says, about New York's much-maligned draft-day decision to spend the sixth pick on the quarterback from Duke (whose college record was a measly 17–19). “Blows my mind.”

I tell Mayfield that I'm mystified that so many supposedly expert quarterback scouts seem unable to predict what makes a good NFL quarterback.

“Some people overthink it,” Mayfield says. “That's where people go wrong. They forget you've gotta win.”
    This is the original quote from the GQ article. I guess you can still argue it might be fabricated if you're so eager on believing Baker's side, but I don't see how they could've taken that out of context, if indeed the words 'Daniel Jones' and 'Giants' came out of Baker's mouth after watching a Giants-related segment on SportsCenter.

Dallas and Seattle are ripoffs too -- of the Dallas Desperados (Arena Football League) and the UAB Blazers, respectively.

I thought of the name "New York 42s" to remind people of 42nd Street's heyday (and seedy past). But it wouldn't make much sense because the XFL team plays in New Jersey (in MetLife Stadium). If Columbia University's stadium in Manhattan was a lot bigger, they could have played there. But Columbia is an FCS school (in the Ivy League), so their place only has 17,000 seats.
    Last edited by MidwestJimmy; 08-23-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    This is the original quote from the GQ article. I guess you can still argue it might be fabricated if you're so eager on believing Baker's side, but I don't see how they could've taken that out of context, if indeed the words 'Daniel Jones' and 'Giants' came out of Baker's mouth after watching a Giants-related segment on SportsCenter.
    in all honestly who gives a crap lol. Baker feeds off anything even if he starts it. So if people talk crap about him for talking crap about someone else he will use that as fuel.

I also don't believe reporters far as i can throw them. unfortunately. everyone's out for a story and click bait.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

I actually like the Houston one the most. I like that it's an Oilers ripoff. There are no more Oilers, so why not? It would have been even better if they would have actually resurrected the Oilers in the XFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    I know when I'm being interviewed by the media, I usually ignore them and sit around watching sportscenter.
    First 4 years:

-Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    I know when I'm being interviewed by the media, I usually ignore them and sit around watching sportscenter.
    As if it's so far fetched to think that such an intermission could've took place and whether in a break, before or after the actual interview, his attention could've switched to someplace else, such as a nearby TV, and he could've said his two cents on the subject.

I actually don't care that much about the story and whether he said it or not, but I think it's silly to just blindly assume he's right in his claims that it's a made up quote because there's simply no way to verify it. It's not a small part of a fully recorded interview being spun into a catchy headline, it's the actual quote the GQ journalist has inserted in the profile he did on Mayfield. Whether he fabricated the whole thing completely is up to anyone's guess. Wouldn't be the first time the media did something like this, but I just don't see any reason some would make up such a controversy when there was really nothing going on between Mayfield and either the Giants or Daniel Jones in the first place. They weren't even in the same Draft class, and all the controversies Baker has been involved in his college career were definitely enough to grant some headline-grabbing quotes out of that interview, like the planting of the flag and the 1 to 10 scale quote, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    I actually like the Houston one the most. I like that it's an Oilers ripoff. There are no more Oilers, so why not? It would have been even better if they would have actually resurrected the Oilers in the XFL.
    I would imagine the Titans still own the Oilers trademark.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast