Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

Just to stay up to date our best player, Trent Williams is holding out and we just cut Mason Foster, starter at arguably our weakest position. Great start to the season.

I went ahead and made this the TC thread.

Mason Foster's timing was odd. If any of you follow John Keim, he said there were folks who figured they should've cut him at the end of OTA's with how Jon Bostic came in and started making calls on defense. Why cut him when he is on the way to camp? It makes no sense, but par for the course for Bruce Allen, who did something similar when Kendall Fuller found out he was traded via Twitter. Foster was a huge liability in pass protection, something teams heavily exploited, so I can't say he will be missed.

Trent Williams is a weird one. Given his age and injury history, it doesn't seem like the team will give him the new contract. They are flying Donald Penn into Richmond to sign him per Bleacher Report, so they are at least getting ready to move on without him. I don't think he brings much in return via trade, so this might be something where they are calling his holdout bluff.

There are quite afew aging, talent free agents out there who could start for this team:

Eric Berry - S
    Nick Perry - OLB
    Michael Crabtree - WR
    Muhammad Wilkerson - DE/DT
    Corey Liuget - DE/DT
    Jermey Parnell - T
    Ryan Schreder - T
    Josh Bynes - ILB
    Bennie Logan - DE/DT
    Martavis Bryant - WR
    Manti Teo - ILB
    John Sullivan - C
    Robert Nkemdiche - DE/DT
    Ron Parker - S
    Reggie Nelson - S
    Cody Sensabaugh - CB
    Captain Munnerlyn - CB
    Sam Shields - CB
    Morris Claiborne - CB

Anyone in here interested in signing any of these players?

I'd be interested in Berry, Crabtree, Bryant, Teo and Bob Kim. Berry and Teo because the middle of our defense needs help in the worst way- the ILB's and S group is definitely bottom third of the league. Crabtree is an immediate improvement over anyone who might start at WR this year, as we have arguably the worst receiving corps in the league. Same with Bryant, but he's got his own issues to sort out before getting on the field. Bob Kim needs a teacher like Tom Sula to help unlock his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I'd be interested in Berry, Crabtree, Bryant, Teo and Bob Kim. Berry and Teo because the middle of our defense needs help in the worst way- the ILB's and S group is definitely bottom third of the league. Crabtree is an immediate improvement over anyone who might start at WR this year, as we have arguably the worst receiving corps in the league. Same with Bryant, but he's got his own issues to sort out before getting on the field. Bob Kim needs a teacher like Tom Sula to help unlock his talent.
    The positions I'm most concerned with are ILB, WR, FS, & OL. The Offensive line FAs are nothing to write home about but Crabtree or Martavis Bryant (assuming he can stay on the field) are WR1 if they signed, ILB Bynes or Teo would be competing for a starting spot, and Berry, Parker, or Nelson would all most likely win the FS position. I like that we're giving young guys a chance to earn the position, but if we're fighting for a playoff spot I hope we consider bringing in some seasoned veterans.

In other news, any chance we can get a young OLineman with starting potential in a Trent Williams trade? It feels inevitable we're going to move him. I would love to give Callahan a young prospect to work with sooner than later. I don't know much about Corey Robinson, but at 342 lbs I don't see him shadowing athletic defenders and 36 year old Donald Penn is a relic in football years.

Anyone watching this game? Depth is certainly not a strength.

Edit: This is painful to watch. It's sad to say, but I'm more impressed by Kelvin Harmon's effort on those two offensive PI plays than I am with any other player who stepped on the field for us in the 2nd half.
    Last edited by NJrockPD; 08-15-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJrockPD View Post
    Anyone watching this game? Depth is certainly not a strength.

Edit: This is painful to watch. It's sad to say, but I'm more impressed by Kelvin Harmon's effort on those two offensive PI plays than I am with any other player who stepped on the field for us in the 2nd half.
    The injuries are already mounting up.

It's foolish that we didn't take the full cap hit from Alex Smith and tank this year. Years ago when we had the penalties from the uncapped year, Shanahan admitted that it was hard to field a team with depth because of not having that cap space, which was essentially the same amount as Smith is costing us this year. We should've taken the poison pill, gotten picks for our veterans and set this up for a reboot in two years. Instead, we're going to limp through the next two years, hopefully with a head coaching change in between, before they have a full cap to work with again.

I know it's only preseason, and the outcome of the game means absolutely nothing, but that was probably the worst officiated game of football I've ever seen.

I almost tapped out after the first drive after the, what, seventh straight penalty? Damn near unwatchable.

I just wanted to see some young guys show me something. Flashes of potential. I saw nothing in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post
    I know it's only preseason, and the outcome of the game means absolutely nothing, but that was probably the worst officiated game of football I've ever seen.

I almost tapped out after the first drive after the, what, seventh straight penalty? Damn near unwatchable.
    It makes you wonder how terribly the games are going to be officiated when the games start. I realize the coaches may be feeling things out, especially as it pertains to the new PI rules, but last night was another level of ridiculousness. Even for the Redskins.

Havent watched any preseason, debating on watching any regular season. Thats typically the case every year but i end up watching anyway. This year feels different though, i really have no interest in watching this team play "football" anymore

Guice looked great tonight.

Case Keenum officially named the starter for Week One. How long does he last?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Case Keenum officially named the starter for Week One. How long does he last?
    Until McCoy is ready
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2017 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Until McCoy is ready
    I'm going to guess it goes something like this.......Keenum, McCoy, Haskins and then Keenum wrapping up the year as late in the season, haskins is going to get killed back there and they pull him to prevent injury.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast