Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why do so inmates convert to Islam

I heard a stat today that said that over 80% of incarerated Muslims converted after getting locked up. Why do so many inmates turn to Islam?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

That's a crazy stat, I dunno, I wonder why

In jail muslims got a presence. Some of it probably has to do with it probably helps some people have an easier time, it helps having a crew watch your back.

It's like a whole different society in there, people be giving the muslims their due. They play arbitrator for lots of diff people, big time people too. Because in jail muslims are known to be fair.

Of course linking up with the muslims comes with an inherit want to get out of a criminal lifestyle (somewhat), as opposed to linking up with most gangs in there. So I'm sure that draws some people.

Also I think people naturally want to try and grow in some way in jail, Islam is a very intellectual religion, and has a very gritty and real take on things, seems to be a combo people could relate to in jail.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post

In jail muslims got a presence. Some of it probably has to do with it probably helps some people have an easier time, it helps having a crew watch your back.

It's like a whole different society in there, people be giving the muslims their due. They play arbitrator for lots of diff people, big time people too. Because in jail muslims are known to be fair.

Of course linking up with the muslims comes with an inherit want to get out of a criminal lifestyle (somewhat), as opposed to linking up with most gangs in there. So I'm sure that draws some people.

Also I think people naturally want to try and grow in some way in jail, Islam is a very intellectual religion, and has a very gritty and real take on things, seems to be a combo people could relate to in jail.
    I don’t know enough about Islam to comment authoritatively, but from what I know of it, this bolded section seems to ring true — especially as compared with Christianity, what with its mumbo-jumbo about the trinity, virgin births, resurrections, and countless other miracles, all which seem to be a pre-requisite for faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I don’t know enough about Islam to comment authoritatively, but from what I know of it, this bolded section seems to ring true — especially as compared with Christianity, what with its mumbo-jumbo about the trinity, virgin births, resurrections, and countless other miracles, all which seem to be a pre-requisite for faith.
    We got our share of that stuff too, we believe in virgin Mary and jesus miracles too.

I dont think any of this stuff is a pre requisite for faith, the general approach in Islam is, here is information about you and the world around you and here is the best guide to help you through it. I dont think believing jesus could give sight to the blind or not really has much bearing of what these religions offer and do for us.

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

We got our share of that stuff too, we believe in virgin Mary and jesus miracles too.

I dont think any of this stuff is a pre requisite for faith, the general approach in Islam is, here is information about you and the world around you and here is the best guide to help you through it. I dont think believing jesus could give sight to the blind or not really has much bearing of what these religions offer and do for us.
    Again, my experience with Islam is limited, but I do not think it has anything on the level of (1) Jesus as the only son of God who was (2) resurrected from the dead and is (3) now at “oneness” with both God the Father and the Holy Ghost (the so-called Holy Trinity). The other miracles notwithstanding, these are I believe prerequisites to Christian faith.

My understanding is that Muhammad is revered as a prophet, not as a god (as is Jesus, according to Islam, am I correct?).

Nevertheless, what I brought up about Christianity may not pertain, and furthermore it is beside the point I suppose, given that his question was about Islam.

I can only guess that your other points are valid.
    Last edited by Crovash; 07-26-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Again, my experience with Islam is limited, but I do not think it has anything on the level of (1) Jesus as the only son of God who was (2) resurrected from the dead and is (3) now at “oneness” with both God the Father and the Holy Ghost (the so-called Holy Trinity). The other miracles notwithstanding, these are I believe prerequisites to Christian faith.

My understanding is that Muhammad is revered as a prophet, not as a god (as is Jesus, according to Islam, am I correct?).

Nevertheless, what I brought up about Christianity may not pertain, and furthermore it is beside the point I suppose, given that his question was about Islam.

I can only guess that your other points are valid.
    I dont think it has to do with the specific pre requisites, Im sure all our religions have ridiculous sounding pre requisites. I feel it has more to do with another concept in christianity, which is the idea that every Christian will be saved regardless of their actions on earth and every non Christian wont be, regardless of their actions. This is the particular "pre requisite" which really sperates itself at its core from other religions.

Also, christianity is very much emotion based whereas Islam isn't necessarily. Whenever you hear a story of how someone convert to christianity they were driven by their heart. With Islam you will see they were driven by their mind. Neither is better than the other, but just the different nature of these two religions.

I dont think it has to do with the specific pre requisites, Im sure all our religions have ridiculous sounding pre requisites. I feel it has more to do with another concept in christianity, which is the idea that every Christian will be saved regardless of their actions on earth and every non Christian wont be, regardless of their actions. This is the particular "pre requisite" which really sperates itself at its core from other religions.
    Well, the concept that Christians are saved is directly related to their interpretation of the Jesus event on earth, wherein God allegedly sent his only son to be sacrificed as reparation for original sin (hence, my three numbered prerequisites — salvation does not happen without them, so indeed they are essential prerequisites).

Also, christianity is very much emotion based whereas Islam isn't necessarily. Whenever you hear a story of how someone convert to christianity they were driven by their heart. With Islam you will see they were driven by their mind. Neither is better than the other, but just the different nature of these two religions.
    I can’t really speak to either point. To the degree that I have experience with them, Christianity touches not my heart, nor Islam my mind.

Well, the concept that Christians are saved is directly related to their interpretation of the Jesus event on earth, wherein God allegedly sent his only son to be sacrificed as reparation for original sin (hence, my three numbered prerequisites — salvation does not happen without them, so indeed they are essential prerequisites).

I can’t really speak to either point. To the degree that I have experience with them, Christianity touches not my heart, nor Islam my mind.
    Sure, I understand the story behind the pre requisite, I mean to say I dont think there is any issue with the lre requisite itself, I think it lies in the interpretation of that pre requisite

Well sure, you are neither a convert to christianity nor Islam

Sure, I understand the story behind the pre requisite, I mean to say I dont think there is any issue with the lre requisite itself, I think it lies in the interpretation of that pre requisite

I guess I have an issue with both the story and the interpretation, interdependent as they are.

What a shocker coming from science boi!

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Ouch. Wow that stings. Such sarcasm. Where did you develop that kind of talent? On the playground - yesterday?

Lol

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Why do so inmates convert to Islam

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Are you shocked he turned the thread into a conversation about how they believe what he see as unbelievable things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 07-28-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Anyway I think Islam’s American association with Black Power plays a role and maybe Nasty or someone else can correct me if I’m wrong but I feel like Islam as a culture and maybe even in practices reinforces discipline and routine. I think mere survival in some of these places requires some of that and if you are going to turn your life around their

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.

Some of this is just the stark distinctions in groups in prison. I had a friend who became way more devout of a Jew in prison. It's about groups in prison, race and religion matter.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast