Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

The Bucks starting roster and bench players role for the 19/20 season...

The crucial questions this year will be:

Q1: Who starts at PG? Will it be Bledsoe or Hill?

My opinion is that Hill is the more effective out of the two... Reads the game better, is more consistent, makes better decisions, is less selfish, is a better shooter...

The thing is that the Bucks need to have both guards able to playmake and pick and role with Giannis on the floor... Therefore who starts at PG will much depend on the choice the coaching team will have on what is the best solution for starting SG... Obviously if it will be Hill that will be starting at SG, then Bledsoe will have to be the starting PG...

Q2: Who takes Brogdon's role on the starting roster? Obviously the best choice would be... Middleton! He can playmake, he can drive, he can shoot, he can do all that Brogdon did (yes, even play PG in internal rotation)... but I doubt it would be wise to start him at SG given the abilities the rest of the roster has in taking his spot at SF... None other has his size or the proven effectiveness to start at SF and surely Thanasis (who has the size and even more athleticism) can't take that role unless he proves first that he can shoot consistently... Matthews and Korver on the other side are obviously temporary solutions who have been called to help now... not long term solutions that will help the Bucks future planning.

Therefore it has to be one out of Hill, Brown or Divicenzo that the coaching team will have to decide upon... Obviously, if Sterling and Donte pick from where they ended last season, then there is no other choice but to use Hill on SG and Middleton at SF and then keep working to progress Brown and Divicenzo as to advance them to a satisfactory level... They both have proved that there is much of potential so that the Bucks won't feel Brogdon's absence... The question is rather how fast they can develop than if the the potential is there...

But... what if Sterling or Donte don't pick from where they ended last season? What if they step up further this season or if they reach a satisfactory level until mid season?

Obviously that would be a "gem" for the coaching team, wouldn't it?

It's that "gem" that brings us to the next question...

Q3 If Brown or DDV (or both) do step up and Hill starts at PG, should we trade Bledsoe? By all means would be my answer... Many teams are in need for a starting PG (Lakers, Magic among others) and he could bring us back valuable (and young) additions...

Especially the Lakers are now dominated with "Clutch co." contracts (Bron, AD, Green, KCP) and the only PG Clutch is managing is Bledsoe... There is no question the Lakers would want to trade for him given the need they have on PG...

He could bring us back Kuzma and Kostas Antetokounmpo + a young PG (out of a 3-team deal where the Lakers would pay for the 3rd team)... and Kuzma we would have much need for since we could then start him at 3 and start Middleton at 2 thus ending up significantly better than last season with a Hill, Middleton, Kuzma, Giannis, Lopez starting roster...

I think replacing Brogdon at SG will be by committee. Matthews maybe gets the early nod to start at SG. For his to lose. Brown and DDV and others have to step it up. Hill could push for it. But then he be getting minutes besides need him at back up PG. So be hard to feed him a ton of minutes.

As for trading Bledsoe. I don't mind since he vanishes in the playoffs. But then we need a PG yet. Hill kinda getting old. Be hard to force him with a ton of minutes. Also getting Bledsoe's $15.6M going to Lakers be hard to pull off. Also most of the Lakers are fresh signings so has to be December 15. Even though we can trade Bledsoe September 2 for a old contract like your Magic team suggestion might have a few old deals to be had.

But even if its the Lakers. Closes price tag is Danny Green. He's a bit done. But he be the main salary filler. Then hopefully Kuzma is the main piece. But seems the Lakers don't want to part with him no matter what. But with LeBron playing GM. Anything goes.

Could maybe exclude Green and add in KCP and a few others besides Kuzma as well. Still who knows. Also Kuzma is a RFA in 21/22 offseason. As for the Magic. Not sure what i'd want from them.
    Last edited by MILLERHIGHLIFE; 07-25-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    I think replacing Brogdon at SG will be by committee. Matthews maybe gets the early nod to start at SG. For his to lose. Brown and DDV and others have to step it up. Hill could push for it. But then he be getting minutes besides need him at back up PG. So be hard to feed him a ton of minutes.

As for trading Bledsoe. I don't mind since he vanishes in the playoffs. But then we need a PG yet. Hill kinda getting old. Be hard to force him with a ton of minutes. Also getting Bledsoe's $15.6M going to Lakers be hard to pull off. Also most of the Lakers are fresh signings so has to be December 15. Even though we can trade Bledsoe September 2 for a old contract like your Magic team suggestion might have a few old deals to be had.

But even if its the Lakers. Closes price tag is Danny Green. He's a bit done. But he be the main salary filler. Then hopefully Kuzma is the main piece. But seems the Lakers don't want to part with him no matter what. But with LeBron playing GM. Anything goes.

Could maybe exclude Green and add in KCP and a few others besides Kuzma as well. Still who knows. Also Kuzma is a RFA in 21/22 offseason. As for the Magic. Not sure what i'd want from them.
    We surely can't have anything back from the Magic that will be beneficial for us... Well... Gordon could, but I doubt Hammond would trade him at this stage no matter how much he is in need for a PG...

We wouldn't want KCP from the Lakers either... Any deal for Bledsoe should include a PG or combo guard back... Besides, the Lakers won't trade either KCP, or Green because they are both with "Clutch co."... There is no doubt they would let Kuzma go if they can have Bledsoe back, only because Bledsoe is Cluch co. too...

They didn't save Kuzma from going to NO because he was the best they could keep (it was Ingram and Hurt they wanted to keep), but they were forced too, because Ball changed his managment to CAA (same as Zion) and he was wanted by NO because of it, as well as because NO wouldn't let them have AD unless they ripped them off by taking the 4th pick + Hurt + Ingram + all the rest they did...

Actually all this AD trade turned out to be a "CAA vs. Clutch" war... Where CAA teamed the NETS, the Pels & GSW against Clutch and the Lakers... The whole picture will become complete when DA Russell (also CAA) ends up to the ...Pelicans (!!) later this season in a 3-team deal and is Jrue Holliday that is traded for GSW to get payed (by the 3rd team)...

It's Clutch (Lebron and Paul) that is now running the Lakers and no player that is not with Clutch wants to be there... That's why theY signed KCP and Green (both Clutch) immediately after they got AD and Kawhi with PG (also CAA) signed with the Clippers! (they were keeping KCP & Green in free agency for "Lakers reserves" in case CAA beats them - which turned out to be the case)...

I believe that Clutch picked Kostas exactly because they are negotiating a Bledsoe trade with Horst right now (even if it can't happen until December)... They can turn Kostas contract to regular and add him at the value of Kuzma... Then it will have to be 3-team deal with another team that provides us with a PG or combo guard we want (Clarkson from the Cavs perhaps? ...could it be Sexton?) and then the Lakers pay the Cavs (who already picked Garland for their future PG)... Bron can arrange this with the Cavs (just an example for what the 3rd team could be - but a realistic scenario never the less)...

Dragan Bender to the Bucks! I guess it means bye-bye to the "Turkish Thunder (my ***)" before the season ever starts!

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/07/...-dragan-bender

Bender isn't likely to make an impact this year. He was awful last year. Shooting was supposed to be one of his calling cards, but he shot horribly last year, even from the free throw line.

I like the signing. It's high upside for the back end of the roster. But if everyone is healthy, he's either playing g league or wearing a suit.

I know I've said this before, but I'd be surprised if hill starts. Not that he isn't deserving, but hes the only true backup 1. So my guess is it's Bledsoe, 1 of wes/brown/DD, midds, giannis and brolo. Hill comes off the bench and they stagger hill and Bledsoe minutes for most of the game.

But depending on match-up, I wouldnt be surprised if our "closing" lineup will probably Bledsoe, hill, midds, giannis and brolo. Some games brolo may be replaced with ersan and one of the guards might be replaced with a different guard.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Bender isn't likely to make an impact this year. He was awful last year. Shooting was supposed to be one of his calling cards, but he shot horribly last year, even from the free throw line.

I like the signing. It's high upside for the back end of the roster. But if everyone is healthy, he's either playing g league or wearing a suit.
    You better learn some basics on the game of basketball before you can speak...

What do you know about Bender?
    Have you even watched one of his games?
    Have you ever checked his basketball skills?
    How he moves on the floor off the ball?
    The choices he does when he is on the ball?
    His team defense work?
    His legs and maneuverability?
    How he positions his body to block drives?
    His timing on blocking shots?
    His shooting style?
    His more than decent athleticism?

I'm watching Bender the later 5 years (long before he ever joined the NBA... All he lucks, is the easiest part to do at his age... To add some muscles so that he becomes stronger and able to withstand a demanding physical game... Nothing else!
    Last edited by buckalis; 07-27-2019 at 07:06 AM.

Signing Bender to one of the regular roster spots, now means that there are only two more spots open for the 20 player crew that will be invited in the training camp... If Bonzie Colson will be another one that will be invited, then there will be only one more open spot. For another spot to open up, there must be a trade happening which will cause the incoming contacts to be less than the outgoing ones...

The Bucks have no more than 2M of cap space left to work with on a possible trade... It means that in case that the Bucks trade two players for getting one back, then the deal has to be one that favors the Bucks in value (less incoming value than the outgoing amount), otherwise the Bucks won't have enough cap space to fill the empty roster spot up...

Basically, one can see that the Bucks have secured tremendous roster depth full of talented youth for their future but still having in mind building around Giannis on Mason, Divicenzo, Reynolds, (Giannis), Bender... and then have worked to secure a full roster depth to supplement the starting roster on a contending level...

Therefore only problem that remains (but crucial one) to be solved is "who should be the 5th man on the starting roster?"...

Here is another idea... We don't trade Ilyasova, but we trade ...Wilson instead! Add to D.J. Wilson Pat Connaughton (a tempting package isn't it?) and trade both to the CAVs for Sexton!

Here is the justification behind the idea:

1. By getting Sexton it will allow us to start Hill at 2 and end up with a Bledsoe, Hill, Middledon, Giannis & Lopez starting roster, which is what resembles our last season's starting roster the most... We therefore pick from where we ended last season having lost no ground...

2. By trading Connaughton and Wilson we loose no depth... we have too many 2/3 combo wings on Matthews, Brown & Korver (and even Reynolds if needed) and too many 4/5 stretch forwards on Ilyasova & Bender so that we can't feel the absence of either Pat or D.J...

3. We empty a roster spot so that we can convert either Mason or Reynolds (preferebly Cameron IMO, because other than Thanasis he is the only one that can play 3/4 when we need to turn "big") and can later bring Kostas to the empty 2-way roster spot...

4. We solve our future depth in PG with Sexton & Mason and therefore don't have to worry on Bledsoe/Hill aging...

5. We get more cap space available for next season by having Ilyasova expiring this season and gain more time to develop Kostas (I'm sure we will end up in MIL) and Dragan.

If we can achieve this trade:

D.J.Wilson + Pat Connaughton + a 1st pick (from Pacers) for Collin Sexton

It will mean the follwing:

The Bucks will start the season with a starting roster that averaged: 103pts per 36mins last season... (Bledsoe 15.8 , Hill 19.7, Middleton 21.2, Giannis 30.4, Brolo 15.6) Then a 5 players bench that averaged 27pts per the 12 minutes remaining on average for each position last season (Sexton 6.3, Brown 5.3, Korver 5.6, Ilyasova 4.5 and Rolo 5.3)...

Thus ending up with a team that with only retaining their roster's last season's effectiveness will average 130pts per game and that's not counting on any additional improvement on the effectiveness one should naturally expect from the youth (Sexton, Brown or Giannis)...

Sounds dreadful, but it's true!

Yeah Cavs drafted another PG in Garland. But I doubt Cavs part with Sexton so soon. Let alone for your weak offer of Wilson,PatC. Yeah Wilson stepped it up last season from looking like a bust in his rookie season. But still isn't enough for a high lottery guy like Sexton. No way Sexton's stock turns into Fultz over night.

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    Yeah Cavs drafted another PG in Garland. But I doubt Cavs part with Sexton so soon. Let alone for your weak offer of Wilson,PatC. Yeah Wilson stepped it up last season from looking like a bust in his rookie season. But still isn't enough for a high lottery guy like Sexton. No way Sexton's stock turns into Fultz over night.
    There is also the 1st pick, which is one of the Pacers... Probably No20 or better given that the Pacers won't have Victor for some 30 games and so many teams of the west being better... and then it's Pat and D.J. Wilson... two positions they are in need to add youth far more than having two PGs... Lets not forget they have Clarkson too... and then they'll probably will renew Delly & Henson for a Vet min. next season...

I mean they could really see some light to the end of the tunnel with a starting roster of Garland, Clarkson, Connaughton, Nance and Love and there would be considerable depth with Delly, Porter, Widler, Osman, Wilson & Henson...

It looks reasonable to me, because I can't see any other team in the league that would be able to beat the Bucks offer... Rumors for Sexton are already appearing on many articles around the web... It does seem strange that they picked another PG on a consecutive season

After OKC agreed a contract buyout with Patterson, the Thunder are now just below (1M) the lux tax threshold but with only 13 players in their roster... It most probably means that Dennis Schroeder will be available for a trade and OKC will want 3 players of equal value back so that they end up with 15 players in their roster...
    Schroeder is clearly the most trade able piece in OKC's roster because they already got S.G. Alexander as to back up CP3...

25yo Schroeder was developed by coach Budenholzer back in his Atlanta days and was a valuable piece to the 60-win 15/16 season...

Will the Bucks make a move for Schroeder? Given that Budenholzer seems that he trusts his 15-16 Atlanta roster, it looks very possible indeed that the Bucks will attempt to work a deal for Schroeder with the Thunder...

As things turn, it looks like it was a clear mistake of the F.O. to rush and waive Leure's contract so fast... If the Bucks would have kept Leure, they would have 16 players under regular contract up to now (which is legal until the 1st week of October) and would be 4.4M above the lux tax threshold, but would still be below the hard cup roof...

Instead, the Bucks would be able to use Leure as a salary filler and make a deal for Schroeder by using young assets added to his salary... Say, Leure + Ilyasova + Connaughton for Schroeder... This would cause 18M of contracts going out and 15.5M of Schroeder's contract coming in... Which would then reduce the amount of being above the lux tax to only 2M for the Bucks, but this could be saved on a 2nd trade later...

Of course OKC would go again above the lux tax threshold by 1.5M, but they would then waive Leure's contract and stretch the salary, which would bring them back to 5M below the the lux tax threshold and then the Bucks would have saved 3.2M of additional cap space for the following two seasons!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast