Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 316
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,996
    not that it'll ever be agreed upon but just get the defending champs to rep the usa, and sub the foreigners for us players. this year might not be a good example as toronto, but let's say gs won it last year and the olympics was last year.

    replace zaza and boucher with deandre jordan and brook lopez and they will still win gold rather easily.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Obradovic has clout in Europe to coach and yell at his players the way he does. Pop can do it, because he has clout in the nba. I don't think these spoiled and entitled players will take the tough love from him. See Blatt, who is completely opposite in Europe as to how he has to interact on the sideline in the nba.

    He is a top ball coach, but no one is winning a title with that Cavs team.
    Ohhh... He yells a lot alright to the extend his face turns red! However, his players love him not only because they become better players and win with him on the wheel, but also because he loves them back and teaches them that personal relations is different to relations on the floor (he enforces dicipline)... As a consequence, he attracts any player he wants to the team he takes over...

    You would be surprised how many players would want to join him if he ever picked an NBA team and then all at team friendly salary...

    I will insist that he would win the title next season (a year later after he takes the wheel) even with the Cavs... Here is what I predict his moves would be...

    1. He would call back to the NBA Alexey Shved, Milos Teodosic and call Sloukas too... play Teodosic at PG and Shved at SG with Sloukas, Garland and Clarkson backing them up...

    2. He would trade Sexton + Osman + a bad (expiring) contract for Bojan Bogdanovic (who would request a trade next day as to join with Obradovic) and would play Bojan at SF.

    3.He would train and play Nance at 4 and would call (free agent) Ioannis Papapetrou as to back up both Bojan and Larry in internal rotation...

    4.He would keep Love, but would attract Vucevic too as to enforce a trade from the Magic (no doubt he would!) and would play him at CF with Love backing him up...

    Then he would add next season exactly what he needs as to put the final touches/upgrades in the roster and would have the run for the championship by the next season...

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,996
    Quote Originally Posted by buckalis View Post
    Ohhh... He yells a lot alright to the extend his face turns red! However, his players love him not only because they become better players and win with him on the wheel, but also because he loves them back and teaches them that personal relations is different to relations on the floor (he enforces dicipline)... As a consequence, he attracts any player he wants to the team he takes over...

    You would be surprised how many players would want to join him if he ever picked an NBA team and then all at team friendly salary...

    I will insist that he would win the title next season (a year later after he takes the wheel) even with the Cavs... Here is what I predict his moves would be...

    1. He would call back to the NBA Alexey Shved, Milos Teodosic and call Sloukas too... play Teodosic at PG and Shved at SG with Sloukas, Garland and Clarkson backing them up...

    2. He would trade Sexton + Osman + a bad (expiring) contract for Bojan Bogdanovic (who would request a trade next day as to join with Obradovic) and would play Bojan at SF.

    3.He would train and play Nance at 4 and would call (free agent) Ioannis Papapetrou as to back up both Bojan and Larry in internal rotation...

    4.He would keep Love, but would attract Vucevic too as to enforce a trade from the Magic (no doubt he would!) and would play him at CF with Love backing him up...

    Then he would add next season exactly what he needs as to put the final touches/upgrades in the roster and would have the run for the championship by the next season...
    wheres the defense? all those guys are sieves on defense.

    talent matters to an extent too. teodosic and shved are euroleague stars that get exposed more in the nba.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6,543
    Dame is out. DeRozan, too.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    wheres the defense? all those guys are sieves on defense.

    talent matters to an extent too. teodosic and shved are euroleague stars that get exposed more in the nba.
    You think of the defense as a player to player guarding, while these players are not trained to do that... Defense is Obradovic' strongest advantage in his game tactics... Only that it is very different to what fans in the US think about what a good defender is... Defense is a team process, not an individual player's action...

    One that watches International basketball action, surely has to admire Serbia's or Russia's defense... Yet, it is Teodosic with Serbia and Shved with Russia that are on the floor, if only that their role differs... They are trained to be part of a team defense process, not to guard one of the opponent's player like they are usually asked to do in the NBA...

    I can assure you that if Dragic was in a different team, he would be considered to be a bad defender too, but he is not! He is fortunate to play with coach Spoelstra though, who is among the very few coaches (again, coach Pops is another) in the NBA that insist on "team defense" rather than guarding a specific player of the opponent...

    In any case, defense would as always be the strongest factor in a team with Obradovic on the wheel and then with the players I mentioned before in the roster...

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,996
    Quote Originally Posted by buckalis View Post
    You think of the defense as a player to player guarding, while these players are not trained to do that... Defense is Obradovic' strongest advantage in his game tactics... Only that it is very different to what fans in the US think about what a good defender is... Defense is a team process, not an individual player's action...

    One that watches International basketball action, surely has to admire Serbia's or Russia's defense... Yet, it is Teodosic with Serbia and Shved with Russia that are on the floor, if only that their role differs... They are trained to be part of a team defense process, not to guard one of the opponent's player like they are usually asked to do in the NBA...

    I can assure you that if Dragic was in a different team, he would be considered to be a bad defender too, but he is not! He is fortunate to play with coach Spoelstra though, who is among the very few coaches (again, coach Pops is another) in the NBA that insist on "team defense" rather than guarding a specific player of the opponent...

    In any case, defense would as always be the strongest factor in a team with Obradovic on the wheel and then with the players I mentioned before in the roster...
    Obradavic still has the best defender in Europe in Vesley. You still need the talent. Nunanlly was an elite defender under him and he had Ekpe for a couple of seasons.

    Don't get me wrong he's a brilliant tactician but you still need talent.

    A lineup of Milos-Shved-Bojan-Love-Vucevic is going to get mirked on the pick n roll day and night. These guys are all below average nba defenders. Vucevic might be average. But that's not going to cut it no matter how briliant Obradavic is.

    You can hide players better with fiba rules and the lanes can are more clogged up. There is no illegal defense.

    Theoretically maybe your on to something but pragmatically there has to be some level of talent.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Obradavic still has the best defender in Europe in Vesley. You still need the talent. Nunanlly was an elite defender under him and he had Ekpe for a couple of seasons.

    Don't get me wrong he's a brilliant tactician but you still need talent.

    A lineup of Milos-Shved-Bojan-Love-Vucevic is going to get mirked on the pick n roll day and night. These guys are all below average nba defenders. Vucevic might be average. But that's not going to cut it no matter how briliant Obradavic is.

    You can hide players better with fiba rules and the lanes can are more clogged up. There is no illegal defense.

    Theoretically maybe your on to something but pragmatically there has to be some level of talent.
    You obviously mean Vesely... but still, the Spoelstra example and how Dragic is used, should be enough to explain the case... Also... Bogdanovic is an excellent defender on any system (team or individual defense)... Another example can be Korver, who is very poor in individual defense, but again very good in team defense...

    My point is, that he uses his player different, especially in defense... he never plays "zone" but never plays "man to man" either... it's his own system of one player covering all other team mates and then have all of the team players covering all of their team mates with the aim to restrict the opponent's ability to move the ball and therefore force the opponent to have a poor choice of shot...

    He will of course use Vesely if he can have him, but results were no different with Petkovic or with M.Batiste (who he turned to CF from SF he used to play and mentored him to coaching - Mike is now assistant coach in Orlando) ten years ago... Defense is always rock solid with him as coach and it's a carefully pre-designed team process...

    watch this video from 5:45 and later...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4g6dL9MFU

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,179
    Other countries on the rise in basketball definitely have to be Latvia, Russia, Netherlands, Venezuela

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,996
    Quote Originally Posted by buckalis View Post
    You obviously mean Vesely... but still, the Spoelstra example and how Dragic is used, should be enough to explain the case... Also... Bogdanovic is an excellent defender on any system (team or individual defense)... Another example can be Korver, who is very poor in individual defense, but again very good in team defense...

    My point is, that he uses his player different, especially in defense... he never plays "zone" but never plays "man to man" either... it's his own system of one player covering all other team mates and then have all of the team players covering all of their team mates with the aim to restrict the opponent's ability to move the ball and therefore force the opponent to have a poor choice of shot...

    He will of course use Vesely if he can have him, but results were no different with Petkovic or with M.Batiste (who he turned to CF from SF he used to play and mentored him to coaching - Mike is now assistant coach in Orlando) ten years ago... Defense is always rock solid with him as coach and it's a carefully pre-designed team process...

    watch this video from 5:45 and later...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4g6dL9MFU
    Playing defense vs. euroleague talent is different vs. the nba and can only go so far.

    Just look at the last olympics. USA struggled defensively in the round robin but turned it up based purely on talent and personnel when it mattered. Serbia was doing good defensively in the group stages, but in the finals they gave up 96 to the USA, whereas the USA held Serbia to 66. So talent does matter especially the higher up in world class levels of basketball going from defending euroleaguers to the worlds best tall athletes.

    Don't get me wrong I think he could make it work in the nba if the players buy in and aren't sensitive to his coaching style, and if he has enough talent. Mike Batiste and his Panathinaikos guys might be able to work against similar talent level, but he has to be somewhat close in nba defensive talent as his oppositions talent to make it work here. I respect where your going with this and I agree with you that he is a defensive mastermind but the guys you put together aint cutting it against the length skill and athleticism of the allstars in the nba. Just my .02.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Dame is out. DeRozan, too.
    Love as well. Added Jaylen Brown and Randle to training camp roster.

    4 Celtics can potentially make the 12 man roster, lol

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,048
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Love as well. Added Jaylen Brown and Randle to training camp roster.

    4 Celtics can potentially make the 12 man roster, lol
    That would potentially prove to be extremely beneficial for the Celtics... Kemba, Tatum, (now) Brown, who is the 4th?

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by buckalis View Post
    That would potentially prove to be extremely beneficial for the Celtics... Kemba, Tatum, (now) Brown, who is the 4th?
    Marcus Smart.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,048
    Here is the latest odds average...

    https://m.nicerodds.co.uk/basketball-world-cup

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,048
    5 players of the Bucks in the FIBA world cup... Other than Giannis & Thanasis for team Greece and Brook Lopez with Middleton for team USA, Ilyasova will be playing too with the Turkish team...

    Also... coach Popovic called Pat Connaughton to be among the players that will join the team USA training camp, in order to play for "team select" which will help the team USA to prepare.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,996
    No Ben Simmons helps Lithuania. He would've been a match up nightmare for them. Can't sleep on Jonas and co., that team is solid and could squeak into the next round.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •