Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

FIBA World championship Thread

Latest news is that E. Gordon, C.J McCollum and James Harden have withdrawn from the USA team...

Here is the latest odds...

https://m.nicerodds.co.uk/basketball-world-cup

Interesting that Greece which has beaten Serbia without Giannis in the qualification games, is suggested only 4th, with Serbia 2nd to team USA...

As well as Anthony Davis and Bradley Beal.

Quote Originally Posted by buckalis View Post
    Latest news is that E. Gordon, C.J McCollum and James Harden have withdrawn from the USA team...

Here is the latest odds...

https://m.nicerodds.co.uk/basketball-world-cup

Interesting that Greece which has beaten Serbia without Giannis in the qualification games, is suggested only 4th, with Serbia 2nd to team USA...
    Serbia has more nba talent and overall depth.

Spain has talent and continuity.

Canada is a wild card. They have a legit coach and talent to medal.

Chemistry-Coaching-Match up, all standard elements of ball also matter in who ends up winning/going far. I haven't seen as much chemistry out of France and Greece as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Serbia has more nba talent and overall depth.

Spain has talent and continuity.

Canada is a wild card. They have a legit coach and talent to medal.

Chemistry-Coaching-Match up, all standard elements of ball also matter in who ends up winning/going far. I haven't seen as much chemistry out of France and Greece as the others.
    But... you haven't seen Greece at all! Giannis never plays in the qualifying games and the whole team has been built around him...

With Calathes, Sloukas, Papanikolaou, Giannis & Bourousis starting roster, Greece will be one of the teams that will challenge team USA for the gold in this tournament mate...

But... you haven't seen Greece at all! Giannis never plays in the qualifying games and the whole team has been built around him...

With Calathes, Sloukas, Papanikolaou, Giannis & Bourousis starting roster, Greece will be one of the teams that will challenge team USA for the gold in this tournament mate...
    I've seen Greece plenty. They did well in qualifying, but most of the top teams including Greece were playing their B teams as nba and euroleaguers couldn't play outside of the summer games.

Greece has disappointed the last half decade with or without Freek, They didn't even qualify for the last Olympics and didn't medal in the last 2 euro's. Bourousis is getting up there in age. Spanoulis is old and retired from international play. Calathes is nice, Prentizis is a nice big man. Sloukas is clutch. Papanikolau is over-rated imo. They have the talent to medal, as does France but they need to play better together.

I guarantee you I watch more international and euro ball vs. anyone on this forum.

I've seen Greece plenty. They did well in qualifying, but most of the top teams including Greece were playing their B teams as nba and euroleaguers couldn't play outside of the summer games.
    Greece has disappointed the last half decade with or without Freek,
    Then... you haven't see Greece! How can you claim you've seen them since yourself admits their prime roster doesn't play in qualifying? Giannis doesn't play in the European championship either (he did in his rookie season only)... It's only the World championship and the Olympics he will be playing... Therefore you haven't see Greece with Giannis for the later 5 years! (neither have I, because it it didn't exist).

They didn't even qualify for the last Olympics and didn't medal in the last 2 euro's. Bourousis is getting up there in age. Spanoulis is old and retired from international play. Calathes is nice, Prentizis is a nice big man. Sloukas is clutch. Papanikolau is over-rated imo. They have the talent to medal, as does France but they need to play better together.
    Quite right... after Zisis and Spanoulis retired the National team, they moved to a rebuilt of the roster... Still no Giannis there in these inferior than the team's previous standard of performance!

Sloukas.... Obradovic pays him bad to keep him in Fener and he won't be coming in the NBA... pity!

I guarantee you I watch more international and euro ball vs. anyone on this forum.
    Actually you are only second... I'm watching international basketball from the Gallis, Giannakis, Schmidt, Petrovic, Radja, Cuckoc, Sabonis, Divac days... Ginobili & the Gasol bros came later...

I can tell you all parts of the game when we became the 1st team ever in Basketball's history that had Lebron's team USA "eating" more than 100 in 40 mins! What a victory that was!

EDIT: Bloody forgot to mention San Epifanio! ...what a player! ...WHAT A PLAYER!
    Last edited by buckalis; 07-23-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Then... you haven't see Greece! How can you claim you've seen them since yourself admits their prime roster doesn't play in qualifying? Giannis doesn't play in the European championship either (he did in his rookie season only)... It's only the World championship and the Olympics he will be playing... Therefore you haven't see Greece with Giannis for the later 5 years! (neither have I, because it it didn't exist).

Quite right... after Zisis and Spanoulis retired the National team, they moved to a rebuilt of the roster... Still no Giannis there in these inferior than the team's previous standards!

Sloukas.... Obradovic pays him bad to keep him in Fener and he won't be coming in the NBA... pity!

Actually you are only second... I'm watching international basketball from the Gallis, Giannakis, Schmidt, Petrovic, Radja, Cuckoc, Sabonis, Divac days... Ginobili & the Gasol bros came later...

I can tell you all parts of the game when we became the 1st team ever in Basketball's history that had Lebron's team USA "eating" more than 100 in 40 mins! What a victory that was!
    LMAO, I swear I saw Freak playing at Eurobasket in France or the last one. Yeah he was still raw though so the dynamics might change. Like I said though talent isn't everything unless you are overwhelming teams like the USA. Greece has to prove it to me in terms of how they can play off and with each other instead of relying on Spanoulis PNR and inside post ups . Freak won't be able to travel as he does in the nba, so he has to adjust there too.

Meh I might not remember everything pin point but within the last 5 years, I know I've watched more international and euro ball vs. others. I even watched the u19, women's eurobasket, etc that just passed. Right now u19 women's and pba is my focus, sprinkle in some african cup ball.

LMAO, I swear I saw Freak playing at Eurobasket in France or the last one. Yeah he was still raw though so the dynamics might change. Like I said though talent isn't everything unless you are overwhelming teams like the USA. Greece has to prove it to me in terms of how they can play off and with each other instead of relying on Spanoulis PNR and inside post ups . Freak won't be able to travel as he does in the nba, so he has to adjust there too.

Meh I might not remember everything pin point but within the last 5 years, I know I've watched more international and euro ball vs. others. I even watched the u19, women's eurobasket, etc that just passed. Right now u19 women's and pba is my focus, sprinkle in some african cup ball.
    No... Giannis haven't played for the later 5 years (exactly because the team didn't make it to qualify in the world cup or the Olympics... He did play some practice games with the National team a couple of years ago before the Eurocup games, but the Bucks called him off to precaution a possible knee injury... Medical tests showed nothing, but Giannis didn't play in any official games that season... He left the camp to join the Bucks training camp and was replaced by young Papapetrou (lets hope he will decide on the NBA... unless of course if Obradovic pays him bad too and pairs him with Sloukas in Fener...)

How about other countries like Brazil or Slovenia with Doncic, Dragic, etc. or other countries like the Dominican Republic or Philippines or Nigeria

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    How about other countries like Brazil or Slovenia with Doncic, Dragic, etc. or other countries like the Dominican Republic or Philippines or Nigeria
    If Ben Simmons didnít drop out Australia is actually an interesting team:
    Simmons
    Mills
    Ingles
    Bolden
    Baynes
    Deladova and Bogut on the bench. That starting lineup IMO would work really well.

Then there are other countries too like DR Congo with the talent Congo has with names like Ibaka, Mudiay, etc. or Cameroon with Embiid, Siakam, Mbah a Moute just to name a few

Slovenia is quite of a force... Forget about the rest, they play "anarchy basketball"... Coaching is much inferior to the teams (like Slovenia) that are coming out of the "ex-Yugoslavian" tradition... These National teams (add Senegal too) have natural athleticism with their players, but their coaching is like half the teams in the NBA... (i.e. "all over the place" - no tactics - no system - "rotate with the clock since no one Can understand "matches" and "mismatches" in our coaching stuff")...

LOL... Cruel but it's true!

Cameroon basketball is on the rise too with Embiid, Siakam, Mbah a Moute

Cameroon basketball is on the rise too with Embiid, Siakam, Mbah a Moute
    It's not like in the NBA... NBA relies on players and contracts... In basketball, coaching tactics and rotation in order to mismatch in offense (or match at defense) is everything...

I can bet you anything that if coach Obradovic (by far the best active coach on this planet) ever leaves Fener and takes the ...Cavs (yes todays Cavs!) in the NBA, Then Cavs would be champions next season!

Honest! I can bet you anything on this!

It's bittersweet to see people talking international basketball. Like seeing what this place could be without all the fanaticism and trolling.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast