Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Mason III

Frank Mason III

Frank has been awarded to be the G-League MVP for the interrupted due to the pandemic 19-20 season!

Mason, is expected to be chosen by coach Budenholger among the final 15 players roster which will be declared by the Bucks for the Orlando games and it should be safe to assume that he will be signed on a regular contract for the following season.

Exceptionally for this season, the league has allowed 17 players for each team which will be in Orlando but including the 2-way contracts which during the past seasons could not play in the playoffs.

Still, even if a team goes to Orlando with the maximum of 17 players, the same team has to declare only 15 players for the games and surely Mason will be one of the 15 for the Bucks. The Bucks are expected to cut D.J. Wilson before the Orlando games begin.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseslept View Post
    Frank has been awarded to be the G-League MVP for the interrupted due to the pandemic 19-20 season!

Mason, is expected to be chosen by coach Budenholger among the final 15 players roster which will be declared by the Bucks for the Orlando games and it should be safe to assume that he will be signed on a regular contract for the following season.

Exceptionally for this season, the league has allowed 17 players for each team which will be in Orlando but including the 2-way contracts which during the past seasons could not play in the playoffs.

Still, even if a team goes to Orlando with the maximum of 17 players, the same team has to declare only 15 players for the games and surely Mason will be one of the 15 for the Bucks. The Bucks are expected to cut D.J. Wilson before the Orlando games begin.
    Mason could be a decent backup PG in the league for a while. I think Jaylen Adams was picked up by some team the other day (Jazz?).

DJ Wilson yeesh, hated the pick when it was made and wanted Jarrett Allen at the time if a big and Ferguson if a wing....

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Mason could be a decent backup PG in the league for a while. I think Jaylen Adams was picked up by some team the other day (Jazz?).

DJ Wilson yeesh, hated the pick when it was made and wanted Jarrett Allen at the time if a big and Ferguson if a wing....
    It wasn't Jaylen Adams who was picked by the Jazz and was signed to a regular I'm sorry to say, Unfortunately, it was Rajon Tucker we lost!

It wasn't Jaylen Adams who was picked by the Jazz and was signed to a regular I'm sorry to say, Unfortunately, it was Rajon Tucker we lost!
    Adams was signed as well, but by the Blazers.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/...lillard-and-cj

Adams was signed as well, but by the Blazers.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/...lillard-and-cj
    I did like Adams, but to be honest, I couldn't see him having a future with the Bucks after Mason's progress and with Donte clearly of starting level for the Bucks, but Rajon yeah, I was pretty sorry losing him to the Jazz.

I was thinking that after we will move Mason to the regular roster for the next season and with Sterling Brown's role clearly now being of the ball handling nature to support the guards more, rather than the wings he was playing until a season before, there was no room for Jaylen Adams to have a future with the Bucks, but Tucker is still 19y.o. and everything looked very promising on him, unfortunately for the Bucks, the Jazz thought the same when scouting for future promising guards.

I did like Adams, but to be honest, I couldn't see him having a future with the Bucks after Mason's progress and with Donte clearly of starting level for the Bucks, but Rajon yeah, I was pretty sorry losing him to the Jazz.

I was thinking that after we will move Mason to the regular roster for the next season and with Sterling Brown's role clearly now being of the ball handling nature to support the guards more, rather than the wings he was playing until a season before, there was no room for Jaylen Adams to have a future with the Bucks, but Tucker is still 19y.o. and everything looked very promising on him, unfortunately for the Bucks, the Jazz thought the same when scouting for future promising guards.
    Adams certainly was unlikely to have a route to the Bucks but Sterling Brown isn't a ball handler. He is still at highest a combo guard but still more a wing. Bucks don't want him handling the ball too often as far as being a playmaker. He is spot up 3 point shooter mostly. Especially if Mason gets any run...Bled, Hill, DD, Mason if gets PT all would be handlers.

Adams certainly was unlikely to have a route to the Bucks but Sterling Brown isn't a ball handler. He is still at highest a combo guard but still more a wing. Bucks don't want him handling the ball too often as far as being a playmaker. He is spot up 3 point shooter mostly. Especially if Mason gets any run...Bled, Hill, DD, Mason if gets PT all would be handlers.
    Whenever it happens and it's Brown and Donte together on the court (during Hill's injury, in Bledsoe's absence, during the Denver game) it's Brown playing at PG and Donte at SG.

Most stats indicate that donte does more traditional pg things. He has a higher assist rate. He has a higher usage rate. He has a higher frequency as a pick and roll ball handler and in isolation situations. At times sterling may bring it up, but as far as running the P&R and distributing the ball, donte does more of that, so he's probably more of a PG than sterling.

As for Mason, I'm cool with him as a back of the bench guy. But I'm not getting my hopes up that he'll ever even be a good rotational guy. He's undersized and already 26. There's not a ton of upside. I don't hate him as possibly a ball dominant pg who plays a few minutes while the starters get a blow and he can push the pace and things like that. But that sort of beat case scenario in my mind. Wouldnt at all be surprised if he's a two way type for another year or so and then filters over to Europe or China where he may be able to play more of a feature role.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Most stats indicate that donte does more traditional pg things. He has a higher assist rate. He has a higher usage rate. He has a higher frequency as a pick and roll ball handler and in isolation situations. At times sterling may bring it up, but as far as running the P&R and distributing the ball, donte does more of that, so he's probably more of a PG than sterling.

As for Mason, I'm cool with him as a back of the bench guy. But I'm not getting my hopes up that he'll ever even be a good rotational guy. He's undersized and already 26. There's not a ton of upside. I don't hate him as possibly a ball dominant pg who plays a few minutes while the starters get a blow and he can push the pace and things like that. But that sort of beat case scenario in my mind. Wouldnt at all be surprised if he's a two way type for another year or so and then filters over to Europe or China where he may be able to play more of a feature role.
    It's one more season the (the 20-21) Bucks have to stay under the cap and we have a good part of the team ageing. Our 1st&2nd guards (Bledsoe and Hill) will be 31 and 34 respectively next season. Therefore, what we need Mason for, is to handle some (few) minutes for the upcoming next season and also use him as security in order to have enough depth.

Despite him being 26 y.o, Mason never had enough minutes to develop his game, I would therefore give him another season and decide on his future after that, there is certainly little risk involved given that his role will be one of the "deeper bench" for the 20-21 season.

I do hope the Bucks will be with all they got after Dinwiddie this upcoming season, the Nets have huge financial problems and the Bucks have the perfect contract on Ilyasova to help them out, this other teams lack! But even if we manage to get Dinwiddie who fits well the Bucks time table age-wise, we will still need Mason because we'll then need to move either Bledsoe or Hill and dump some salary by doing so, in order to avoid paying the lux tax.

Sterling Brown brings the ball up in mop-up duty. He stands in the corner or on wing for catch-and-shoot 3s the rest of the time. Crewfan was pretty spot on above. Mason will likely do as you say next year getting more PT on Bucks cuz they blow teams out, but I don't see too much of a future beyond that with the depth the Bucks have. Mason I see as best case being DJ Augustin, which isn't bad but nothing special...but if you're getting that from 11th 12th guy you good.

It's one more season the (the 20-21) Bucks have to stay under the cap and we have a good part of the team ageing. Our 1st&2nd guards (Bledsoe and Hill) will be 31 and 34 respectively next season. Therefore, what we need Mason for, is to handle some (few) minutes for the upcoming next season and also use him as security in order to have enough depth.

Despite him being 26 y.o, Mason never had enough minutes to develop his game, I would therefore give him another season and decide on his future after that, there is certainly little risk involved given that his role will be one of the "deeper bench" for the 20-21 season.

I do hope the Bucks will be with all they got after Dinwiddie this upcoming season, the Nets have huge financial problems and the Bucks have the perfect contract on Ilyasova to help them out, this other teams lack! But even if we manage to get Dinwiddie who fits well the Bucks time table age-wise, we will still need Mason because we'll then need to move either Bledsoe or Hill and dump some salary by doing so, in order to avoid paying the lux tax.
    There's very few instances in the nba where guys do break out that late though. And he has gotten a decent amount of run. His rookie year he played in 52 games and averaged 19 minutes a game. That's not nothing.

Mason is basically the classic AAAA player from baseball. He's a really good G League guy, but he's not really anythign more than a bench guy in the pros.

His biggest issue is that from a play style perspective, he basically plays like a Dame Lillard. The problem is he's not anywhere near Dame's talent. Every team is looking for a backup pg who can hit spot up jumpers, defend and not turn the ball over. That's not Masons strengths. Hes an on ball shooter, not a spot up shooter. He's not really a great distributer and has pretty high assist to turnover rates. And his lack of size and length limit him on defense.

I'd bring him back next year if he's willing to come cheap ish. He's not an unplayable pro, but I just dont see him really moving much beyond what he currently is. It's unxommon for guys to break out after they turn 26 and he has some limits to his game/body that sort of create an artificial ceiling anyways.

To me, Mason is the perfect guy to go tear up a league overseas. He's a good player but just will struggle against nba level athletes. He also needs the ball to really be the best version of himself and he's not good enough to be a ball dominator in the nba. But in leagues that are a step down in athleticism, he could thrive. It seems like his options are borderline 2 way, vet minimum type nba player or go be the Dame Lillard of a foreign league. Cant blame him for staying in the nba, but I think he's a borderline back of the roster type at best.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    There's very few instances in the nba where guys do break out that late though. And he has gotten a decent amount of run. His rookie year he played in 52 games and averaged 19 minutes a game. That's not nothing.

Mason is basically the classic AAAA player from baseball. He's a really good G League guy, but he's not really anythign more than a bench guy in the pros.

His biggest issue is that from a play style perspective, he basically plays like a Dame Lillard. The problem is he's not anywhere near Dame's talent. Every team is looking for a backup pg who can hit spot up jumpers, defend and not turn the ball over. That's not Masons strengths. Hes an on ball shooter, not a spot up shooter. He's not really a great distributer and has pretty high assist to turnover rates. And his lack of size and length limit him on defense.

I'd bring him back next year if he's willing to come cheap ish. He's not an unplayable pro, but I just dont see him really moving much beyond what he currently is. It's unxommon for guys to break out after they turn 26 and he has some limits to his game/body that sort of create an artificial ceiling anyways.

To me, Mason is the perfect guy to go tear up a league overseas. He's a good player but just will struggle against nba level athletes. He also needs the ball to really be the best version of himself and he's not good enough to be a ball dominator in the nba. But in leagues that are a step down in athleticism, he could thrive. It seems like his options are borderline 2 way, vet minimum type nba player or go be the Dame Lillard of a foreign league. Cant blame him for staying in the nba, but I think he's a borderline back of the roster type at best.
    I would therefore conclude that since he'll be a low risk deep bench player on a the cheapest possible contract for the following season, there is no reason for the Bucks to look elsewhere or draft a (another) PG.

Having the priorities in the correct order, is of major importance in order to end up with a team which will stand out. Therefore, the Bucks shouldn't spend their resources in taking risks, on the 11th or 12th player of the roster, but instead, they should look to: A. Be deep enough in all positions, B. To improve the age average of the team to the younger, C. To land major minutes players which will improve the team's performance, D. To retain financials under control.

I hope the Bucks don't have such a short-sided approach. A third string PG should be a reason for the Bucks not to take a PG? Take the guy you think has the brightest future PG or whatever. The Bucks haven't had a rookie play all year. The Bucks are cap-strapped so 18 pick could get traded for a later pick as mentioned in the draft thread.

I kind of like Lewis from Alabama if trading back or Jaylen Smith from Maryland. If sticking around 18 there should be some nice players available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast