Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    According to ESPN, Joe Harris (your boy) shoots 33% on pull up 2s. Granted he knows his strengths and doesn't attempt many of them, but most 3 and D guys are useless inside the arc, because catch and shoot opportunities are rare. Mid range shooting is mainly an iso (off the dribble) art, exception being a pick and roll where the big can pop and the guard can step into a shot over the screen, as well as curl players which aren't really shots you can get off in volume.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    According to ESPN, Joe Harris (your boy) shoots 33% on pull up 2s. Granted he knows his strengths and doesn't attempt many of them, but most 3 and D guys are useless inside the arc, because catch and shoot opportunities are rare. Mid range shooting is mainly an iso (off the dribble) art, exception being a pick and roll where the big can pop and the guard can step into a shot over the screen, as well as curl players which aren't really shots you can get off in volume.
    ok we're talking two different things here... pull up 2's are completely different from simply improving your mid range shot.

Besides, Harris is a guy that shoots so few pull up 2's and so few mid range shots that it's really a tiny overall sample size in which a few makes or misses can drastically change his %. He's the new prototypical at the rim or 3's player. but he's 40% for his career on mid range which is solid so I'm not sure that proves anything.

DSJR needs to improve his jumper overall.. really his shot overall before we can even start hoping he's going to be a good 3pt shooter. that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    ok we're talking two different things here... pull up 2's are completely different from simply improving your mid range shot.

Besides, Harris is a guy that shoots so few pull up 2's and so few mid range shots that it's really a tiny overall sample size in which a few makes or misses can drastically change his %. He's the new prototypical at the rim or 3's player. but he's 40% for his career on mid range which is solid so I'm not sure that proves anything.

DSJR needs to improve his jumper overall.. really his shot overall before we can even start hoping he's going to be a good 3pt shooter. that's just my opinion.
    I'm not sure anyone can argue this , first thing he needs to do is improve from the charity stripe, and then that mid range may come. I personally feel he has the goods to get there.
    I really hope so for the Knick fans sake to be honest.

I don't even care who it is, I would love just one Knick to have a Dlo like step up season.

BTW pull up jumpers are totally different thing, but I get what D-leeth is saying, guys like our good old mr double check was money from three but he just didn't seem to have the same touch from the mid range.

Guys today are not going to shoot less % for two overall but they will shoot less from 16 ft to the 3 point line.

and some shoot almost even counting layups with is more to D-leeth point,

A guy like PG13 shoots 40% from three and 45% overall, and that includes dunks and layups.

CJ McCollum is a 40/46 guy
    Heild is a 43/45 almost dead even again the 45% counts layups.
    rozier is a 38/41
    Bazemore is a 40/44
    VanFleet is a 41/43

Last year at a couple games when you watch warmups you see tons of three's and dunks/layups, you don't see many guys shooting 15-20ft away.

It would be actually interesting to see league wide the 16- 3 point % vs 3Point %.

LOl someone else can look it up,

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    I'm not sure anyone can argue this , first thing he needs to do is improve from the charity stripe, and then that mid range may come. I personally feel he has the goods to get there.
    I really hope so for the Knick fans sake to be honest.

I don't even care who it is, I would love just one Knick to have a Dlo like step up season.

BTW pull up jumpers are totally different thing, but I get what D-leeth is saying, guys like our good old mr double check was money from three but he just didn't seem to have the same touch from the mid range.

Guys today are not going to shoot less % for two overall but they will shoot less from 16 ft to the 3 point line.

and some shoot almost even counting layups with is more to D-leeth point,

A guy like PG13 shoots 40% from three and 45% overall, and that includes dunks and layups.

CJ McCollum is a 40/46 guy
    Heild is a 43/45 almost dead even again the 45% counts layups.
    rozier is a 38/41
    Bazemore is a 40/44
    VanFleet is a 41/43

Last year at a couple games when you watch warmups you see tons of three's and dunks/layups, you don't see many guys shooting 15-20ft away.

It would be actually interesting to see league wide the 16- 3 point % vs 3Point %.

LOl someone else can look it up,
    you know whats crazy? Novak's 2nd year in NY he shot 0% on mid range shots...ZERO... he didn't make one all year...lol. but that's of course because he almost never attempted them. a whopping 82% of his field goal attempts were 3's...

but he was about 45% from mid range for his career...

I think overall when you look at PG's in the DSJR mold... like Rose, Bledsoe...etc... those guys are at least very solid in midrange and at the FT line. so overall DSJR just needs to be able to shoot it from SOMEWHERE... honestly to be a good offensive player. right now he's not very good anywhere.

Bruce Bowen

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn2timer View Post
    Bruce Bowen
    that's a good one... i'll give u that. but like Novak I think its a case of those guys almost never shooting mid range. Bowen had some big fluctuations in mid range %... from 42% to 26% another year, which can maybe be attributed to just small sample size where a few hits or misses really alters your overall %. the majority of his FGA were 3's.

fun fact, .996% of Bowens 3 point shots were assisted, and many seasons it was 100% assisted, that is crazy. Catch and shoot guy.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    you know whats crazy? Novak's 2nd year in NY he shot 0% on mid range shots...ZERO... he didn't make one all year...lol. but that's of course because he almost never attempted them. a whopping 82% of his field goal attempts were 3's...

but he was about 45% from mid range for his career...

I think overall when you look at PG's in the DSJR mold... like Rose, Bledsoe...etc... those guys are at least very solid in midrange and at the FT line. so overall DSJR just needs to be able to shoot it from SOMEWHERE... honestly to be a good offensive player. right now he's not very good anywhere.
    Those guys used the midrange as a weapon to balance out their drives. If you are faster than an NBA defender chances are it is still close. So the cheat the drive and fully commit to getting to the rim first and try and win there. You introduce a pull up and all of a sudden it is harder to cheat and something you have to be aware of or punished for.

The problem is unless our bigs pull people out of the paint you have to shoot it from further away. Cause obviously they will contest closer in and even passing becomes harder with more people in a smaller space.

Also the further away a 2 is the worse of a shot it is regardless of who is taking it. If you can take away 3s and points inside of 3-5 feet you can beat anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by aNYer View Post
    If Fiz wasn't our coach I'd wonder why this exact article was written about trying to fix Frank's shot. Even though he has better form the feet consistancy is a big piece of what he is missing too.
    Yeah they probably do everything they can to stop Frank from working on his J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn2timer View Post
    Bruce Bowen
    Robert Coventon is another

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Yeah they probably do everything they can to stop Frank from working on his J

Hmmm they have a "shot doctor" and a player who is struggling shooting. Obviously I am suggesting something crazy that they combine those 2. It couldn't possibly help more then letting him do whatever he decides to do on his own right? That would by dumb, huh. To have the "shot doctor" work with one of our players other than a Fizdale favorite.

Knicks’ ‘Shot Doctor’ is trying to save Dennis Smith Jr.

Hmmm they have a "shot doctor" and a player who is struggling shooting. Obviously I am suggesting something crazy that they combine those 2. It couldn't possibly help more then letting him do whatever he decides to do on his own right? That would by dumb, huh. To have the "shot doctor" work with one of our players other than a Fizdale favorite.
    you don’t think Frank can get someone to do this with him? You don’t think the Knicks would get/have someone to do this with him? DSJ has an article with the “shot doctor” bc he can jump.

you don’t think Frank can get someone to do this with him? You don’t think the Knicks would get/have someone to do this with him? DSJ has an article with the “shot doctor” bc he can jump.

They have a shot doctor
    They have a player that is struggling with shooting
    The shot doctor is willing to travel to train Knicks players

All facts, right? So you add all those things up and what do you get. Cause for you the answer is Nah no way they should have the man they trust to fix peoples shooting go help a controllable asset, even if just for trade bait, who shows a penchant for defense.

That's all I am saying. But because it happens to be about a guy we have discussed ad nauseam you have to act like it is about that instead of the above points.

They have a shot doctor
    They have a player that is struggling with shooting
    The shot doctor is willing to travel to train Knicks players

All facts, right? So you add all those things up and what do you get. Cause for you the answer is Nah no way they should have the man they trust to fix peoples shooting go help a controllable asset, even if just for trade bait, who shows a penchant for defense.

That's all I am saying. But because it happens to be about a guy we have discussed ad nauseam you have to act like it is about that instead of the above points.
    All kinds of possible answers here, besides what youre suggesting

Maybe he has worked with him, and it didn’t work
    Maybe nothing needs to be fixed, he just misses
    Maybe the guy isn’t always available, only working with one guy

Maybe they think DSJ is a better player(which he is) and view improving him as a key, so they can solidify the PG situation. He’s got all star level talent..

Who knows

Robert Coventon is another

Ariza. I think it applies to a lot of players in the 3 and D mold, especially the ones that didn't start off as good shooters.

If you want a PG example...Jason Kidd. I would also think that Lonzo is heading in this direction as well.

With that said, DSJ should have a pull up game. It's really important for him and most PGs.
    Last edited by smood999; 07-23-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast