Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
Results 316 to 327 of 327
  1. #316
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    34,381
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Defensively, Reyes was always a good shortstop. He wasn't Rey Ordonez and he wasn't Bud Harrelson but I would have put him up as the third-best in franchise history at that time. He made a lot of plays Buddy wouldn't have made but Harrelson was far more consistent.

    Rosario was just erratic. No more. Defensively I like him better than Reyes and probably even better than Harrelson, too. That's saying a ton. He has his confidence now. What a difference that makes.
    Rosario is/was raw. It took him 3 years into his major league career to put his talent together and he probably still hasn't hit his ceiling. Reyes was more polished when he came up and his range/arm were better than Rosario's. I guess you have to leave that to bad instruction. There's no reason why a major league SS shouldn't be able to go to his left. Rosario's talent probably got him by for so long that the basics were overlooked.

    That probably started in the Dominican Republic.
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-23-2019 at 03:44 AM.

  2. #317
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,356
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Rosario is/was raw. It took him 3 years into his major league career to put his talent together and he probably still hasn't hit his ceiling. Reyes was more polished when he came up and his range/arm were better than Rosario's. I guess you have to leave that to bad instruction. There's no reason why a major league SS shouldn't be able to go to his left. Rosario's talent probably got him by for so long that the basics were overlooked.

    That probably started in the Dominican Republic.
    Random statements:

    Clay is right about one thing.... For example, Rosario was “ready to play MLB SS three years ago” according to Mets fans. Then they said he should be a CFer. Now he is fine. They finally got it right.

    Rosario likely had much better instruction in the Dominican that Reyes ever did. Rosario was coached by a buscone - Reyes had little or no formal instruction with a coach.

    You cant expect the development timeline of players to be equal or even similar in some cases.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

  3. #318
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    44,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Random statements:

    Clay is right about one thing.... For example, Rosario was “ready to play MLB SS three years ago” according to Mets fans. Then they said he should be a CFer. Now he is fine. They finally got it right.

    Rosario likely had much better instruction in the Dominican that Reyes ever did. Rosario was coached by a buscone - Reyes had little or no formal instruction with a coach.

    You cant expect the development timeline of players to be equal or even similar in some cases.
    What we said was that he was a better option at SS than anyone on that major league roster at thst time.

    That was our opinion. You had no opinion other than to say what the Mets did by holding him down until August must be unquestionably right.

    Since you have no evidence demonstrating that to have bern the correct move, i most respectfully ask you to STFU about it already.

  4. #319
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    34,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Random statements:

    Clay is right about one thing.... For example, Rosario was “ready to play MLB SS three years ago” according to Mets fans. Then they said he should be a CFer. Now he is fine. They finally got it right.

    Rosario likely had much better instruction in the Dominican that Reyes ever did. Rosario was coached by a buscone - Reyes had little or no formal instruction with a coach.

    You cant expect the development timeline of players to be equal or even similar in some cases.
    I think just about everyone expected Rosario to struggle. That's most rookies. Did anyone think it would take someone that talented to start putting it together 3 years in? No but every progression curve is different. The thing is 3 years ago, we had limited alternatives and Rosario was hitting well in AAA. There are different theories on what the right thing to do is. Not going to fault anyone for the point of view of taking his lumps up here.

    He did and maybe he's better for it. Was he ready to be a ML SS? In hindsight, no but you weren't waiting till he was 23 to bring him up.
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-23-2019 at 04:17 PM.

  5. #320
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    99,630
    Yup and you don’t know if he would still had to go through the same learning curve.

  6. #321
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    31,342
    We need to see this from Rosario over a full season though. I love what he's doing right now, but at some point he's gonna have to become more consistent. He got hot in the 2nd half last year, then took a step back in the first half of this season, and then he's hot again in the 2nd half this year.

    Overall, he's definitely improving, but it's always 2 steps forward and then one step back. I hope this time around it clicks for him and he can continue to improve in a more steady manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  7. #322
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,356
    How could Amed ever have been a better option at SS three years ago when three years later the same people didn't think he can play MLB shortstop — until they changed their mind!

    Advanced metrics confirm Reyes wasn't good at SS in 2017, but also not the disaster ppl seem to be thinking. His metrics at SS were better than Swanson, Correa, and not too far behind Trea Turner.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 08-23-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

  8. #323
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,065
    Rosario has been a true revalation this year and kudos to him. That said , I recall someone on this board was asking who was better Glyber Torres or Rosario and who wouyld you want on your team between the two. Someone , or maybe more than one selected Rosario. To those individuals who posted that , have you seen Torres' numbers recently? I believe he has 32 HRS and 70+ RBIs. etc. He is just a better player than Rosario by a decent margain.

    By saying that Torres is better does not diminish what Rosario has accomplished this year and hopefully will do in the future.

  9. #324
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    47,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Rosario has been a true revalation this year and kudos to him. That said , I recall someone on this board was asking who was better Glyber Torres or Rosario and who wouyld you want on your team between the two. Someone , or maybe more than one selected Rosario. To those individuals who posted that , have you seen Torres' numbers recently? I believe he has 32 HRS and 70+ RBIs. etc. He is just a better player than Rosario by a decent margain.

    By saying that Torres is better does not diminish what Rosario has accomplished this year and hopefully will do in the future.
    How long have you been on this site? And you are still using RBIs as a measurement to validate the two quality of a player. You are an educated man, why is it we don't use RBIs as a measurement on a player?


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  10. #325
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    47,689
    Dug is that person who posed that question. He is the same poster that posed Bell or Smith?


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  11. #326
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,356
    The same person who asked, Frusen Gladje or Hagen Daz in 1982.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

  12. #327
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    44,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    How could Amed ever have been a better option at SS three years ago when three years later the same people didn't think he can play MLB shortstop — until they changed their mind!

    Advanced metrics confirm Reyes wasn't good at SS in 2017, but also not the disaster ppl seem to be thinking. His metrics at SS were better than Swanson, Correa, and not too far behind Trea Turner.
    Look up the definition for "strawman" and then get back to us. Thanks.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •