Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    Boy, that narrative if Lynch outperforms Lock....even moreso if Lynch actually looks competent.

russell Wilson is not going to be playing in this one...and I believe I heard that most of their defensive starters aren't going to play either....so you would hope the 1st stringers would put on a nice showing for the few series they are in...but preseason so ehh...

Get all the reps you can get Lock. while we hyper analyze every bit of it.

Honestly, I'm so at peace with the Lock situation. Like, I fully don't expect him to play this year unless something drastic happened. So, it really doesn't matter to me if he struggles or not. This is all part of the process.

Hell, if Flacco shows that emergence in this Shanny/Lil Shanny/Kubs like system...I'm cool with Lock sitting two full seasons. Because if Flacco emerges...we're competing for the play-offs..
    Exactly. I just want Lock to get a lot of action so that he can learn from it... I'm not expecting him to play this year at all. I don't want him to rot on the bench though lol.

Don't give yourself hope with Flacco... You're just going to be building yourself up for a letdown lol

The floor is Trevor Siemian while the expectation is above Case Keenum. Two very reasonable marks that he can achieve. I don't feel like I'm asking for much when I expect him to be better than those.

Regardless, a good Flacco is a legit good QB. If we get that throughout the season, I'm definitely seeing post-season.

There is a lot of parts to see though.
    Last edited by BRAVE KID; 08-08-2019 at 12:35 AM.

The floor is Trevor Siemian while the expectation is above Case Keenum. Two very reasonable marks that he can achieve. I don't feel like I'm asking for much when I expect him to be better than those.

Regardless, a good Flacco is a legit good QB. If we get that throughout the season, I'm definitely seeing post-season.

There is a lot of parts to see though.
    He ****ing better be better than those two lol

Lock started off looking really good (That pass to Fun was fantastic)! But damn we have a real issue of depth all over this team. It gets passed the second unit at virtually any position, and there's a huge drop off in talent.

Way way way way way too many penalties tonight. Very sloppy.

Our special teams as a whole is awful and damn we need a new punter! Wadman sucks.

Sucks seeing Lynch whoop us the way he did too.

Thoughts and Concerns surrounding last night's game for starters on first viewing without access to All-22.

- Joe Flacco looked 'okay'. The Broncos offense needs Sanders for the pass game to open up because without him they legit have no speed at receiver allowing opposing defenses to compress and opening up less space. Lots of checkdowns due to this but better than sacks or even throw aways. RBs will have heavy usage in pass game this year. Flacco is statuesque though, so OL will have to perform. They were 'okay' last night. Flacco definitely looked like an NFL starting QB, which isn't something I have said about a Broncos' QB in a bit. Limited sample size, but feeling fine here for now.

- Offense moved ball well but god dammit they need to convert in the red zone. Those 3s instead of 7s were the difference in the game. The red zone offense was the worst in the NFL last year iirc, and the lack of push from the OL plus putrid pass attempt (Flacco to Sutton) have me a bit worried. Fangio harped on this as well and it's something to monitor going forward. Must come away with 7 in the RZ.

- While the NFL is 100% a pass first league, the Broncos are going to need to rely on the running backs. The starting offensive line was actually one of the best run blocking units in the NFL last year from a ball carriers yards before contact (opening up big holes and getting downhill) and that looked to continue. The offense is going to run through both Lindsay and Freeman who both looked solid last night in limited action.

- Bradley Chubb and Von Miller looked dominant last night. This could be the best edge rush duo the team has ever had. Better than Von and Doom or Von and Ware. Von was an absolute terror and Chubb did well in run, coverage, and pass rush. These two alone make the Broncos at least a solid defense. The IDL looked okay, but somewhat worried how dichotomized they are. Wolfe and Gotsis can stop the run, but offer little pass rush (Gotsis did have some flash so holding out some hope there). Jones and Walker can get after the QB, but got blown up against the run. Still not sure what to make of Harris at NT just yet.

- The secondary looked really good actually. Yiadom and Bausby held their own mostly besides a few deep balls that... well... if it was RW3 those might have been TDs (guarding the 6'4" 230 lbs alien Metcalf). Both however were solid. Yiadom is physical (that penalty on him would not be called in regular season imo) but needs to show better with the ball in the air, and Bausby has to be better tackling and getting off blocks but flashes ball skills and fluidity that is great for his size/length. CB3 and 4 should be improved from last season. CHJ is a boss still.a

- The linebackers looked pretty slow and in over their heads from time to time, esp compared to pass rush and DBs. Not shocking as imo the best 3 were out. Alexander Johnson is a thumper with less athleticism and instincts than Davis in space, and that showed. Solid coming downhill and hitting and filling, but ask him to cover or play pursuit and he just looks like he has some lead cleats. Dude would have been a good player in the 80s. That said he was by far the best LB the Broncos tossed out there. Get well soon Jewell, Davis, and Jones.

- The special teams is horrible. Outside of long snapper Casey Kreiter and kicker Brandon McManus, they stunk. Wadman struggled and hurt his coverage units, the discipline from lanes to tackling was bad, and penalties. Two games in a row and the special teams looks like they entered the field from a clown car. Will have article on this topic later.

Bonus
    - Drew Lock looked better than last week, but he still has a ways to go. Not gaining enough depth in his drop (esp on first step from my eyes) and relying on his arm instead of his base on some throws he short armed. The backup OL and run game did him NO favors as they were constantly at like 2nd and 11 and 3rd and 9. Best case we don't see Lock this year as he works on his mechanics and the offense, but good to see improvement from the HOF game and the tools are there. Like a good whiskey, probs best to put him in a barrel and let him age a bit to get the richest flavor.

- LB and TE are dropping like flies (and sounds like Jano injury is serious) and the Broncos only have 2 million in cap... so unless there is a restructure (Flacco) or surprise release, the roster is the roster with little room for additions...
    Last edited by Dr Cyanide 28; 08-09-2019 at 11:53 AM.

while we lost Fort for the year (damn shame)..Jano is only out 6-8 weeks. Phew. He's another factor in that running game so good to know he's only out a few games or so in the regular season. Also get an extensive look at that Alston kid..

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cyanide 28 View Post
    - Offense moved ball well but god dammit they need to convert in the red zone. Those 3s instead of 7s were the difference in the game. The red zone offense was the worst in the NFL last year iirc, and the lack of push from the OL plus putrid pass attempt (Flacco to Sutton) have me a bit worried. Fangio harped on this as well and it's something to monitor going forward. Must come away with 7 in the RZ.
    The notorious nature of the Shanny/Kubs system. Can move from 20 to 20 but stall in RZ. This is where Flacco is needed the most.

Unfortunately, in his best year with Kubs (2014). They struggled with this as well. 18th in Pts/RZ and 20th in TD's/RZ. In fact, most of Flacco's years with Baltimore that offensive unit has been very mediocre when it came to Pts/RZ...(though the past two years they have been stout)

Definitely something to keep an eye on..not only with flacco...but with the boy wonder in Scangs.

While the NFL is 100% a pass first league, the Broncos are going to need to rely on the running backs. The starting offensive line was actually one of the best run blocking units in the NFL last year from a ball carriers yards before contact (opening up big holes and getting downhill) and that looked to continue. The offense is going to run through both Lindsay and Freeman who both looked solid last night in limited action.
    Throw in Riddick in space (pseudo pass game but more like an extensive running play)...we have the prospects of a very exciting running game. Some things in football will never change. Being able to run (and in contrast not being able to stop the run) will always lead to opportunities in the passing game.

Got to have those guys healthy though. Which you can put a question mark on all 3 of those RB's.

Bradley Chubb and Von Miller looked dominant last night. This could be the best edge rush duo the team has ever had. Better than Von and Doom or Von and Ware.
    Giddy, giddy, ****in giddy. I was actually thinking this the other day...but could Von Chubb surpass Von Ware this quickly? The answer looks like a yes...HYPE.

The secondary looked really good actually. Yiadom and Bausby held their own mostly besides a few deep balls that... well... if it was RW3 those might have been TDs (guarding the 6'4" 230 lbs alien Metcalf). Both however were solid. Yiadom is physical (that penalty on him would not be called in regular season imo) but needs to show better with the ball in the air, and Bausby has to be better tackling and getting off blocks but flashes ball skills and fluidity that is great for his size/length. CB3 and 4 should be improved from last season. CHJ is a boss still.a
    These CB's are actually fun...Bausby is well on his way to making quite the comeback. Props to Fangio...that's another reclamation project of his to add on to his resume.

That Joe Jones injury really hurt. Was so looking forward to getting an extended look at him at ILB. The most athletic ILB on the roster.

But...Hollins and Alexander has had good showings for what it is worth...but yea...Jewell and Todd Davis need to be healthy..badly.

Good to see you Cy. Nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Lock started off looking really good (That pass to Fun was fantastic)! But damn we have a real issue of depth all over this team. It gets passed the second unit at virtually any position, and there's a huge drop off in talent.

Way way way way way too many penalties tonight. Very sloppy.

Our special teams as a whole is awful and damn we need a new punter! Wadman sucks.

Sucks seeing Lynch whoop us the way he did too.
    Well...I imagine teams are in trouble if they are relying on their 3rd stringers. These are guys simply trying to get a spot on the practice squad...not guys you gameplan into your defense/offense.

I get your point but I'm not too overly concerned with it. Paxton can run all over the 3rd and 4th string defenses.

Though it is disappointing there really isn't any promising OL guys that have stood out thus far. Can't afford an injury anywhere on that OL..

@ZacStevensBSN
    Good news on the injury front: Jake Butt, Jeff Heuerman, Josey Jewell, Bug Howard and Aaron Wallace have all returned to the practice field.

That's quite a list of players that returned to practice lol

In other news, we waived Jeff Holland today... Must mean that Malik Reed is making the team.

... And we can't just get healthy. Theo Riddick is out for 6-8 weeks. Fractured his shoulder in the preseason game.

Riddick has had an injury history but that is unfortunate. In very limited action, he immediately showed his value on his routes...but we're going to have to wait. Good thing we still got Booker eh? Got to protect Lindsay/Freeman though. This thing is contagious..

Holland just didn't look good. I figured he was Shaquil Barrett 2.0..just looked slow though. Malik was never in danger of not making the team. That kid has got the pass rushing goods.

Heuerman is always going to be hurt...so that is kinda hopeless to think otherwise...but rooting really hard for Butt/Howard to make that emergence. If we can get those two going...we'll be in good shape.

I swear, Orange Julius is a vodouist. Ever since we let him go, we've been cursed at the TE position.

Brian Baldwin's breakdown of Drew Lock (including the ever elusive all-22 in preseason action) showed the ups of Drew Lock and his upside. He still has a good bit to work on from his base mechanics to his reads, and just becoming more consistent from the on schedule offense... but the flashes and improvement from the HOF game to on the road in Seattle is very encouraging.

We probably (hopefully) won't see much of Lock in 2019 as he is put in the fermentation chamber... but definitely encouraged at this junction. Now the questions are, can he continue to improve and can he take that #2 spot from Hogan... We will see! https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1160715792150859779

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    I swear, Orange Julius is a vodouist. Ever since we let him go, we've been cursed at the TE position.
    Not like we've been drafting/signing high profile TE's since then.

Orange Julius was never a high profile TE but PFM made him into one...(then once he didn't have PFM his career ended...banked it..then quit).

Fant is legit the only top tier TE prospect we've had since Orange Julius. You could say Jake Butt before Fant...but that was more of a flyer because of the injury concerns...which, to this day, is very much valid and a concern.

Those injury concerns have very much followed basically every TE though.

Not like we've been drafting/signing high profile TE's since then.

Orange Julius was never a high profile TE but PFM made him into one...(then once he didn't have PFM his career ended...banked it..then quit).

Fant is legit the only top tier TE prospect we've had since Orange Julius. You could say Jake Butt before Fant...but that was more of a flyer because of the injury concerns...which, to this day, is very much valid and a concern.

Those injury concerns have very much followed basically every TE though.
    Agree with everything you said. That is basically my point though. We can't keep our TE's healthy.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Most likely a two-down thumper in the NFL... but Alexander Johnson is well on his way to making the #Broncos 53 man roster with his weekly improvements, growth, and flashes in both practice and preseason.

He's not likely to ever be a great cover backer, nor is he a true sideline-to-sideline speedster, but this throwback-style linebacker is impressing despite his tumultuous journey to the league.

Considering the injuries mounting up on Denver's linebacking corps, someone has needed to step up and show something. Johnson has answered the call.

https://mavensports.io/broncos/news/...USvAUxG-2TJcg/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast