Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Did Lebron make the right decision in leaving Miami to return to Cleveland in 2014?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It was the right choice, and his legacy is better for it.

21 77.78%
  • No. He would have been more successful and his legacy would be greater had he stayed in Miami.

6 22.22%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Did Lebron make the right decision in leaving Miami to return to Cleveland?

PSD posters, help me settle a little dispute between myself and a certain unnamed PSD poster you can probably all guess without putting too much thought into it. Did Lebron make the right decision to leave Miami to return to Cleveland? Would he have won more rings had he stayed in Miami, and would it have benefited his legacy to stay with the Heat rather than return home and win a wing in his home metro? Or did winning a ring in Cleveland and everything that's happened since he left the Heat ultimately justify his decision to leave Miami?

Feel free to discuss, and I look forward to your responses.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 07-17-2019 at 05:02 PM.

He had to go back to Cleveland. One ring there was worth three or four anywhere else. Sort of like the equivalent of winning for the Knicks would be for anyone else. That championship, especially with the comeback and against the 73-win team, just matters more. He wasn't gonna win more titles with the Heat as they were constructed, but even if he had, it just wouldn't have meant as much.
    POOP

Easily it helped his legacy. It was the only thing that could save it.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

I don’t vote in these polls because I only use the mobile site and it’s a goddamn mess to get back to the mobile site from the desk top site on a phone.

So throw a “He made the right decision” vote on top for me.

He had to go back and make everything come full circle. Chris Bosh still gets blood clots so the Heat might not have won anymore rings even if he stayed.

Short answer: Yes

CLE won a title, so it's really easy to say that yeah he made the right decision. Had the league not suspended Draymond and the Warriors not been injured, we'd be singing a different tune.

But hey, in the end he won CLE a title, and it added significantly to his legacy. Can't deny the result.

So for those who haven't voted yet or aren't keep track, we're looking at 7-0 for "yes" at this point, including one "yes" vote from a completely sane and reasonable Heat fan.

Yes

S E A N....M A Y N E

While I do agree that one title in Cleveland equals 3. 20 to 30 years from now people are not going to look at the side stories or how did they get there. They are going to look at how many titles he got. Numbers its what's going to matter to them. To me Lebron is better than Kobe to others is going to be Kobe has 5 rings in less tries. Miami could have gone to the NBA and applied for the health waiver thing on Bosh. And build with the extra cap

Best poster on PSD Douglas

Yes. Wade was aging and the heats roster was in question and nothing was guaranteed. With the Cavs you had questions as well but you had a younger Kyrie and the #1 overall pick (which turned into Kevin Love) to use as trade bait to get another guy there as well. It’s easy to look back now and say “well if Lebron would’ve stayed they would’ve had this guy and that guy” but at that time it was no guarantee if it would’ve played out at that way. Lebron chose to play with a younger roster at the end of the day and got a ring for it and would’ve probably had another one had both Kyrie and Love not been out with injuries the year before.

For sure. He even said something similar, that his championship in The Land meant more to him than his Miami championships.

He fulfilled his promise. 52 years was Cleveland's championship drought. The Mistake by the Lake. The Factory of Sadness. The Butthole of America. Burning River City.

And to do it in the most dramatic way. Coming back from being down 3-1 against a 73-win team.

Can't get much better than that.

I believe two things about Lebron's return to Cleveland, that it helped his legacy and he has been less successful than he would have been had he stayed. I know that sounds like it doesn't make sense but bringing a championship to Cleveland surpassed the NBA, it surpassed basketball. Obviously had he stayed in Miami he never would have been able to do that, and he will be remembered as the guy who not only ended the Cleveland sports drought, but he came back home to do it. On the flip side, had Lebron stayed in Miami I believe he would be at least a four time NBA champion right now, not a three time champ.

When he returned to Cleveland in in 2014, the Heat just came off a Finals annihilation at the hands of the Spurs. San Antonio obliterated Miami and D Wade looked past his prime. Lebron would have had to have taken even more of the offensive burden going forward, which is a big reason he went back home where they had Kyrie Irving. However Miami had ways to improve, and before Lebron left they were trying to get Kyle Lowry from the Raptors. I don't believe they would have acquired Lowry, but Miami was already after another ball handler before Lebron left. I believe Miami ultimately would have acquired Dragic sooner, before the season started, and entered the 14-15 season with Dragic and the Big 3. I also believe Ray Allen would have returned for both the 14-15, and 15-16 seasons had Lebron remained in Miami.

I also know that Chris Bosh's career was ultimately derailed by blood clots, and his season ended at the All Star break in 14-15. That still would have happened with Lebron on the team, but Miami had another roster move that would have dramatically helped their chances in 2014, Hassan Whiteside. I know Whiteside has had all sorts of issues with the team, but back in 2014-15 he was a really good contributor. When Whiteside burst onto the scene, he was legitimately one of the best Centers in basketball, which is what gave him his huge ego. For a time Whiteside was really good, in his first three seasons with the Heat (2014-2016) his per 36 stats were 18/15/3.5 (pts/rbds/blks) while shooting .587 from the floor. If Lebron James was playing for the Heat during the rise of Whiteside, he never would have become the headcase he became. Whiteside's ego became a problem because of who wasn't on the team, no Lebron, no Bosh, no Battier, no Ray Allen, and eventually even no D Wade. Guys like Alonzo Mourning, retired for years, and Udonis Haslem, bench warmer, was never going to be enough to reign in Whiteside. Lebron James is a bit different, and Whiteside would have been motivated for just being on the floor with him, especially considering he was out of the league a year prior.

Lebron lost a close six game series to Golden State in the 2015 Finals with Matthew Dellavedova as his second best player, whereas in Miami he would have had Dwyane Wade, Goran Dragic, and Hassan Whiteside as the next best players. Delly doesn't hold a candle to any of them, and with the way Lebron played in those Finals, averaging 36 points, 13 boards, 9 assists in lieu of becoming the first player ever to lead both teams in all 5 major statistical catagories (pts/rbds/asts/stls/blks), Miami would have handily put down the upstart Warriors in 2015. Lebron would have won his 3rd championship and 3rd Finals MVP, and his Finals record would have been 3-3 at the time.

The Warriors would have gone into 2016 looking for revenge and dominate the league in route to a 73-9 season, Miami would have mostly remained the same, maybe adding a role player or two, and the two teams would have once again met in the Finals. While no Bosh would have been a big blow to the Heat, but I still think the Heat would have beat the Warriors again in 2016. While Goran Dragic is no Kyrie Irving, a back court of Dragic and Wade would have produced more than Kyrie and JR Smith. While Whiteside doesn't spread the floor like Kevin Love, nobody on the Warriors would have been able to guard him underneath the basket. A Lebron/Whiteside pick and roll would have been a sight to see. With Lebron averaging 30/11/9/2.5/2 (pts/rbds/asts/stls/blks), his 2016 Finals averages, the Heat would have just had enough to overcome the Warriors. Lebron would have won his 4th ring and 4th Finals MVP, making his Finals record 4-3.

KD would have then joined the Warriors, who would be coming off back to back Finals losses at the hands of Lebron, and KD wouldn't have been as vilified because Golden State would have yet to get over the hump. With KD in Golden State, the Warriors would have once again met the Heat in the Finals, Lebron's 7th straight trip, and they would have obliterated the Heat in a similar way to the Spurs in 2014, once again denying Lebron a three peat. Kevin Durant would have won Finals MVP, and Lebron's Finals record would fall to 4-4.

At this point I believe Lebron's run in Miami would be over and I think he would have joined the Lakers a year earlier, in the summer of 2017. I also think the Lakers would have signed Chris Paul to join Lebron, instead of going to Houston. Rather than draft Lonzo Ball, I believe the Lakers would have traded the #2 pick, D-Lo and Ingram to the Pelicans for AD, who probably would have wanted to go the Lakers a year earlier with Rich Paul helping facilitate it. A Lebron/AD/CP3 for the 17-18 season would compete with the KD/Steph/Klay/Draymond Warriors in the West.

So IMO, if Lebron had stayed in Miami he ultimately would have had a more successful career, because he would have won more. That said, his victory in Cleveland is one of the all time iconic moments in NBA history and he would have been robbed of that feat had he remained in Miami. That said I believe him staying in Miami, and ultimately going to the Lakers in 2017, would have given him a better chance at success with LA. It's kind a wash, I voted yes.
    Last edited by TylerSL; 07-17-2019 at 08:43 PM.

He’s still going to win one more

Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    While I do agree that one title in Cleveland equals 3. 20 to 30 years from now people are not going to look at the side stories or how did they get there. They are going to look at how many titles he got. Numbers its what's going to matter to them. To me Lebron is better than Kobe to others is going to be Kobe has 5 rings in less tries. Miami could have gone to the NBA and applied for the health waiver thing on Bosh. And build with the extra cap
    I disagree. That's true of the eras like the 60's Celtics or Wilt and Kareem, but from the 80s on there is archived video that you can easily go back and watch. I just recently watched a video on Bird v. Magic on youtube. We have so much more than boxscores and record books to look back on these days. The flu game was over 20 years ago, but everyone here should know what I'm talking about, and if they don't they can easily look it up. Legacy matters.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast