Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

What will be the strengths and look of the 2019-20 New York Knicks?

Now that the dust has settled (for now) amongst the disappointed yet undying hopeful fans, it's time to reassess what this assembled roster will look like and what it can and can't do...

Strengths: Is Bully Ball back? The Knicks biggest strength might just be their inside game. You have Mitchell Robinson who is being groomed as a Ben Wallace type player. He is a rim protector, athletic, and a human vacuum cleaner on rebounds. He can also play above the rim and key in put-backs. Julius Randle and Bobby Portis have not only great post up moves but he can hit that 10 foot jumper going away from the basket. Taj Gibson will definitely provide depth coming off the bench. Knicks plan to out-rebound teams and fight for high percentage shots.

For Porzingis fans, we'll all miss Luke Kornet who was the Walmart version. He bricks like a champ but every now and then during a 30 point deficit, he can get hot in a loss.

Kevin "Fort Minor" Knox looks like he developed his 3-point game over the Summer. You can definitely see his confidence during Summer League. While Summer league means very little in terms of actual play in an NBA Regular Season game, Knox looks like the consistent perimeter threat on the kick-out that the Knicks have been looking for. By far, he has the best range.

Damyeon Dotson also can also stroke it from long-range. Another perimeter guy who can start or come off the bench.

Weaknesses: Guard rotation worries me. Reggie Bullock's plantar fascitis at $10M/season is one of those, "Um, why?" Knick contracts. Fortunately it's only 2 seasons but...Dennis Smith Jr will take the lion's share of minutes. Sure, Smith Jr needs to improve his passing and defense but he's young and improving. RJ Barrett is nineteen and the Knicks want him at point guard? How many times have the Knicks tried to teach point guard to a player. See Nate Robinson, Toney Douglas, Jerian Grant, Iman Shumpert...the last time the Knicks had a legit point guard, he was Jeremy Lin and last we saw him, he was hoisting an NBA Title with Toronto. Allonzo Trier can definitely shoot but can he share the ball handling and pass the rock? Frank Ntilikina is still in Europe and I have a horrible feeling, the Knicks are saying, "Yeah keep playing overseas. We'll tell you when it's ok to come back..." (throws away VISA).

We'll also discover if Coach David Fizdale fizzles under the pressure coaching season 2 w/o his boy, Mudiay. So far, I think his rotations are "Ehhh..." I don't see the magic w/o a superstar. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's the first guy to be thrown under the bus when the Knicks fail to make the playoffs AGAIN...

And why do I mention, playoffs? The Knicks didn't spend all that money on 2-year contracts for nothing. They're trying to salvage their reputation by demonstrating they can nail the 8th seed but A LOT has to go right in order for this team to sneak in at the 8th seed.

Your thoughts...

Do the Knicks have a plan or is this all a circus before 2021 when Kawhi, Lebron, and Giannis can opt out and become free agents?

Knicks strengths will be, based on roster construction, a fast constant barrage.

With a lot of supporting talent and little star level players though Randle, Knox or RJ can emerge offensively or MRob defensively, the only way to go is to get maximum benefit from the depth.

That means the plan should be to play more players at fewer, more intense minutes. You maximize the use of role players and minimize exposure of asking roleplayers to do too much.

Fiz will have to develop a closing squad which he failed to do all of last season.

Depth at power forward.

Strength extra bodies I guess injuries happen.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Just like stilla and some others have been saying. Whether it is for Dlo or someone else I expect the Knicks to trade some of the new players we got with the team friendly contracts fixing our rotation problems and getting us some one for the long term

Best poster on PSD Douglas

Fresh legs is our only strength, hopefully fizdale can max out our roster by getting them in top tier condition, and hustling on every play, and find a way to work the rotation in a way that looks like a functional NBA team instead of nonsense I saw last season.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeYourL View Post
    Fresh legs is our only strength, hopefully fizdale can max out our roster by getting them in top tier condition, and hustling on every play, and find a way to work the rotation in a way that looks like a functional NBA team instead of nonsense I saw last season.
    I dont know if they will risk health going all out since they could be let go next year.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    I dont know if they will risk health going all out since they could be let go next year.

I don't really have any reason to think they won't play hard, they only came here for the $, so looking forward to their next deal should motivate them.

None of the vets we signed have ever come off as the type to play soft, I'll at least give our front office that much.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeYourL View Post
    I don't really have any reason to think they won't play hard, they only came here for the $, so looking forward to their next deal should motivate them.

None of the vets we signed have ever come off as the type to play soft, I'll at least give our front office that much.
    Play hard on offensive end not defense.

Trade assets

Play hard on offensive end not defense.

this tells me you have no idea who we signed?

Taj, Payton, Bullock, Morris these four are not know for defense play?

And the original post, Bullock got 4.7m with a team option for year two not 10m, I'd say that could be a steal, I like him a lot. Once he's over his foot injury which could be a month or so, he will be a welcome addition and we can then keep him yet again on the cheap next season.

Major strength is we remained with great flexibility and most are sleeping on Randle......he may just have a better career than KP and I said this when he was a Laker. And taking nothing away from KP at the time, that is how high I've been on Randle..........

Trade assets that we won't get much for if anything because Knicks fans live in their own bubble and overvalue everything

Only Morris will be in starting line up from those 4 unless Dsj gave up on basketball while in China lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzGwpW9lmHA

Knick fans are sleeping on this guy.........I don't think Randle feels KP is a once in a lifetime player

Only Morris will be in starting line up from those 4 unless Dsj gave up on basketball while in China lol.

What does this have to do with anything? Only 5 guys play in a game? You said none play defense, and that is the response?

Come on Cheets......bash, bash, bash......seriously, you feel better after you post?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast